PDA

View Full Version : This car needs stiffer motor mounts

lukel90
07-05-2005, 11:57 AM
Am i the only one who thinks that the mazda3 needs stiffer motormounts? If there are company\'s out there that develop aftermarket ones. please get a set done for the mazda3. These stock pieces of crap are garbage. Im normally pleased with this car, but mazda sure pulled a fast one with these soft motor mounts..Sorry, im venting....please....let there be aftermarket motor mounts out soon.

nifty6
07-05-2005, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by lukel90

Am i the only one who thinks that the mazda3 needs stiffer motormounts? If there are company\'s out there that develop aftermarket ones. please get a set done for the mazda3. These stock pieces of crap are garbage. Im normally pleased with this car, but mazda sure pulled a fast one with these soft motor mounts..Sorry, im venting....please....let there be aftermarket motor mounts out soon.

I would have to agree. I think auto makers spend all their time and money on styling and interior and exterior features instead of their efforts on engineering a quality problem free car. Chrysler has great styling and competitive pricing (low) but reliability sucks. Did we buy this car for the styling or value for the money or both? Low price might mean lower quality, they would have to sacrific something to sell at the price they are? Some have brought up the fact that this is an entery level car so do you expect, perfection, maybe something close would be nice.

wtom
07-08-2005, 02:47 PM
I\'m not technical with engine bays but isn\'t the softer engine mounts a safety feature? ie. not having the engine sitting on your lap in case of a major frontal collision?

midnightfxgt
07-08-2005, 02:58 PM
The reason is simple :)

Average consumer. We as enthusiusts drive harder, and would benifit from stiffer mounts. However, the average consumer doesnt want the harder shifts, and vibration that go along with stiffer mounts

John

Guess
07-31-2005, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by wtom I\'m not technical with engine bays but isn\'t the softer engine mounts a safety feature? ie. not having the engine sitting on your lap in case of a major frontal collision?

Not in any way.

Softer motor mounts allow the engine to pivot on its own axis. They are made of light rubber/silicone. This makes for a very soft ride, and the car doesnt vibrate at all.

However, if stiffer mounts were put in place, the car would have alot more traction in 1st and 2nd gear as wheel hop would basically be eliminated. (wheel hop is when the initial traction the car receives throws the engine back in the bay, and the mounts compensate by throwing it back to its original location, causing major traction loss, and instead of one large burn out, several small chirps, potentiallly making your engine bog down.)

Thumbs up to stiffer mounts. i believe i came across an add earlier for stiffer mounts for the mazda 3, i will look into finding it again.

lukel90
07-31-2005, 11:12 PM
please look in to finding that site, that would be great.

SABIO
08-01-2005, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Guess

However, if stiffer mounts were put in place, the car would have alot more traction in 1st and 2nd gear as wheel hop would basically be eliminated. Instead of one large burn out, several small chirps, potentiallly making your engine bog down.

I have not experienced any wheel hop...I have P245 tires which grip well enough to *squak/*squeal when I give \'er in first.... No small chirping here. Maybe your engine mounts are defective or you should buy better tires ?