PDA

View Full Version : Body kit questions???

chu315
07-06-2005, 12:54 AM
just wonder wt kind of materials is gd for body kit??? ABS plastic or poly urethane??? thz..........

Junior
07-06-2005, 11:04 AM
whatever you do try and stay away from fiberglass.

as far as which is better? abs plastic is krazy expensive, but if you got a hoo-up, then it shouldn\'t be all that bad. Urethane would seem to be the resonable choice (costs more than fg but not as much as abs) has more flex than fg so that you can be ok on a lowred car, cause bumps and scrapes are bound to happen.

I think it mostly depends what the application is though? extreme kit? or simplified?

chu315
07-06-2005, 04:00 PM
it is just a simplified kit, sth like the kensystle.... so is ABS plastic the best???

Junior
07-06-2005, 04:51 PM
urethane and abs plastic are OEM plastic type materials, mostly. Typically urathane bounces back from most minor impacts instead of cracking it pushes in and returns to its orginal form, its much lighter then even FRP/fiberglass. Typically the problems w/ urathane are its expensive to make, even more so w/ ABS plastics (think about kids toys). BUT very few OEM\'s will even bother making u a mold and the array of companies that acutally use highquality urathane and abs are very limited, also urathane sags after a while and cant be just bondoed like fiberglass in large impacts... with that in mind... DO NOT GET CONFUSED WITH ABS AND URETHANE.... these are completely different products. both are plastics, however they are not the same thing. ABS plastic is rigid (ie. plastic dash and interior components), whereas urethane has a lot of flex in it.

ABS plastic can and will break (same as fiberglass- depends on how each is manufactured to what tolerance level. if fibeglass is done correctly, it can rival abs plastic pretty well and sometimes work better, i would call ABS plastic and fiberglass a wash out.

Urethane will also break (with a hard enough impact)

There is no real BEST? It depends on your application, how much money you have and are willing to spend. All type FG,ABS or URE have there nagatives ...

In my personal experience I stick to Urethane, why, Cause I trust it more than FG and I don\'t think I want to spend the cash to buy ABS.