PDA

View Full Version : Hard Start with GT (stick)

Krakilin
07-09-2005, 07:02 PM
I\'m having trouble doing a hard start with my Mazda 3 GT. I can launch from 1st gear pretty quickly, but then when i switch gears @3500-4000rpm into gear 2 (which drops to about 2000-2500rpm), I feel that the car doesn\'t accelerate very fast at that point even if I press the gas-pedal harder. Anyone else with stick experiencing the same thing?

DeLaY_NoMoRe
07-09-2005, 08:09 PM
I feel a bit the same too.....but if u push harder in 1st (around 5~6k) then shift to 2nd and ride a little bit cluth, that should solve the problem......that\'s what i did.....hehe.....sounds unpraticle eh.....:p

billyfo
07-09-2005, 08:27 PM
what yr is your car? and AC on/off?

mine is 04, but doesn\'t have this problem. though I using light foot to accelerate, it still has instant power for every gear.

Krakilin
07-09-2005, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by billyfo

what yr is your car? and AC on/off?

mine is 04, but doesn\'t have this problem. though I using light foot to accelerate, it still has instant power for every gear.

2005 Mazda 3 GT (1.5 month old), standard. Actually my A/C was on today, but this issue is the same even with A/C turned off. It\'ll drive it hard again when I go home from work tonight and see

PlatMS6
07-10-2005, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Krakilin

I\'m having trouble doing a hard start with my Mazda 3 GT. I can launch from 1st gear pretty quickly, but then when i switch gears @3500-4000rpm into gear 2 (which drops to about 2000-2500rpm), I feel that the car doesn\'t accelerate very fast at that point even if I press the gas-pedal harder. Anyone else with stick experiencing the same thing?

if u are doing hard starts y are u shifting at 3500-4000 (u arent driving a muscle car lol)...remember the peak hp for our cars is at 6500rpm, so if ure giving it... shift around that..(7100 or so is perfect!...when u pop it into 2nd it keeps pulling hard (even at 6500 in first, second sometimes feels slugish)

+if u take 1st up to 7100 (or around that) u can hit 100 and a bit in second no problem (it will be around 7000+) as well....

and dont worry the motor won\'t blow up, after all its a highreving motor:p ....just don\'t hit the rev limiter, its precisely @ 7200 (i also dont reccommend staring at the tach....engine noise is all u need, the sound pitch will change after 6800 or so)

Alex_Great
08-19-2005, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by Krakilin

I\'ve been driving my M3 for a week now so I may not be the most competent for this particular car, but I\'ve been driving standard in Europe since I was 12 (yeah, 12, and don\'t ask:) ), so i\'ll give my thoughts on this, even if a bit off.

First of all, while the car is still brand new (2-3000 kms, or first oil change the best), you really shouldn\'t try to force the car with the RPMs... staying below 4K isn\'t that bad for a month or so, just to make sure you get the most of your car later.

Once you want to get the most, remember that each gear shifting brings down the RPM by some amount, and u get the most if u minimize that... so, u should try \"double-clutching\"... its pretty self explanatory... basically, between gears u increase RPMs - press the gas (heck.. not sure if explaining this the best, but i can teach you... just bring the car lol). Now this is not all that great for the engine, but will help in maintaining acceleration... I tried this with the M3 i got for test drive... and trust me.. its burning tires till third gear :)

Good luck with it...

Cheers!

FLIPDADY
08-19-2005, 07:47 AM
Moved to Problems with the Mazda3.