PDA

View Full Version : AC Performance This Month

Indusbreed
07-12-2005, 12:24 PM
I know its been raised several times but what the hell:p :p
Are you satisfied with its perfomance in the month of Hot and humid June?
I am not at all happy with its performance and my wife second that. We switch cars among ourselves.
Our other 01 Rolla chills more and faster then the Mazda.

I have tired all the settings but i don\'t think its something which can be fixed by just adjusting the knobs.

Zaku_4
07-12-2005, 12:41 PM
yeah,
this cars ac really god damn sucks. its not cold at all, the 1.7 liter engine in an el or civic gets colder faster. why did mazda go ceahp witht he compressor? (to my knowledge this and a large enough engine displacement is what determines how cold and well the ac performs)

>=/

Whos ur dadd
07-12-2005, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Zaku_4

why did mazda go ceahp witht he compressor?

so u could have auto sensing wipers

Zaku_4
07-12-2005, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Whos ur dadd

why did mazda go ceahp witht he compressor?

so u could have auto sensing wipers

wow is the auto sensing wipers that much???? i remmber replacing the compressor in my dads pathfinder cost him about 1000 with parts and labour. btw i would rather have a cooler ac then auto sensing wipers =p

Indusbreed
07-12-2005, 01:58 PM
btw i would rather have a cooler ac then auto sensing wipers =p

I second that. AC should be at par to what other cars & models have.

SABIO
07-12-2005, 04:31 PM
IT SUX

MajesticBlueNTO
07-12-2005, 04:57 PM
after sitting outside in the hot sun for the span of a day:

* i lower all the windows to let the heat out

* set the vents to recirc and to the \"face\" setting

* set the fan to 3

* turn A/C on

* when most of the heat has escaped, close the windows.

within a few minutes, the a/c is nice and cold. on humid days, i don\'t use the \"fresh\" vent setting.

i don\'t set the fan to 4 since that may blow hot air (if you\'re blowing air faster than it can be cooled, it\'s gonna remain warm).

i\'ve done this through this heat wave and haven\'t had an issue with the AC. in fact, sometimes it gets too cold on 3 that i have to lower the fan to 2.

i have an early build date 3 and don\'t have the diffuser or any AC-related TSBs done. did i mention that my windows are tinted also ;)

nifty6
07-12-2005, 08:54 PM
Nobody mentioned what year their car is and motor size.
I have a 05 and build date of 02.05 2.3 tinted windows.
I still think the issue here is WTF the temperature is coming out the vents. I know how important tinting and how we cool the interior is but it still comes down to the vent temp.
I have checked mine a few times and the best I can get on a hot day is 15 degree C. On a cooler day or evening the best is 10 degreeC., fan speed at 3, driving at 80K/H, interior temp of 26C
Can sombody tell us what the temp should be coming out of the vents, WTF are the Mazda specs? But some how I don\'t think Mazda knows themselves. A sales manager at Dave Wood Mazda said he had not heard of a A/C problems with the 3 when I asked him about it, didn\'t get my business then and never will. Check out www.Mazda3forums.com and all the bitching about the A/c.
Don\'t tell me this is an entry level car and we shouldn\'t expect the A/C to work as good as cars of the same value. I paid a grand and I want a grands worth of cold air.
So bottom line check the temp at the vents, stick or hold a thermometer at the vents, record and let us know.
Thanks for the venting.

nifty6
07-12-2005, 09:03 PM
http://tinyurl.com/dp3wb

What is the A/C specification according to the work shop manual.
Maybe somebody who works at a dealership might able to help us, I hope?

wtom
07-13-2005, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by MajesticBlueN

i\'ve done this through this heat wave and haven\'t had an issue with the AC. in fact, sometimes it gets too cold on 3 that i have to lower the fan to 2.

i have an early build date 3 and don\'t have the diffuser or any AC-related TSBs done. did i mention that my windows are tinted also ;)

I listened to this guy the first time he told me about his method and IT WORKS.

BTW I have NOT installed the damn filter/diffuser YET ... bought it back on May 24 too hahahah

nifty6
07-13-2005, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by wtom

I listened to this guy the first time he told me about his method and IT WORKS.

BTW I have NOT installed the damn filter/diffuser YET ... bought it back on May 24 too hahahah\\

What method???? Wrap the hi and low lines from the condenser to the fire wall, is this what you are talking about??????// May 2004 or 2005

FLIPDADY
07-13-2005, 01:11 PM

after sitting outside in the hot sun for the span of a day:

* i lower all the windows to let the heat out

* set the vents to recirc and to the \"face\" setting

* set the fan to 3

* turn A/C on

* when most of the heat has escaped, close the windows.

within a few minutes, the a/c is nice and cold. on humid days, i don\'t use the \"fresh\" vent setting.

i don\'t set the fan to 4 since that may blow hot air (if you\'re blowing air faster than it can be cooled, it\'s gonna remain warm).

This method.

TheProfessor
07-13-2005, 01:42 PM
I honestly think it boils down to the person. Yes, the A/C will not refrigerate your car, but it will cool it down to acceptable levels IMO. Perhaps some of us are just \"cooler\" than others :p

nifty6
07-13-2005, 03:06 PM
Thanks Joe...I do the same and it does work and makes a lot of sense, also have to agree with how cold some people want to be. On a hot very hot day I have seen a few new $60,000 vehicles with their windows rolled down, guess the A/c doesn\'t work or they can\'t afford the option, Haha ...or they like to save a few dollars on gas??go figure

DeLaY_NoMoRe
07-13-2005, 07:07 PM
Okay.....here we go, I brought my car into Markham Mazda yesterday as for the A/C issue. As soon as I sat down and talk w/the Service Advisor about how my A/C is not COOL enough, he started BS w/me, by telling me how my car has black upholstery and I should\'ve turn the RECIR thing on, blah blah blah.....then I told him don\'t try to blame me w/those BS, coz I\'ve had 4 different generation of Protege, and 2 of them were from YOU GUYS!!! I know how an A/C should be and work out to.....and needless to say, I took him to my car and let him try himself, he had nothing to say afterward. He asked me to leave the car and DO SOME inspections/works on it.......Then after a damn 3&1/2 hrs wait, he showed me their work---EVAC & RECHARGE A/C W/FREONR134 ?......Anyways, now apparently my A/C works a bit better/colder than b4, but I really don\'t know if it\'s actually mentally or physically.....:)

Zaku_4
07-13-2005, 08:51 PM
wtf,
isnt freon illegal to use as ac stuff now?

from what i know. freon induces sleepy/drowsiness

nifty6
07-13-2005, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by DeLaY_NoMoRe

Okay.....here we go, I brought my car into Markham Mazda yesterday as for the A/C issue. As soon as I sat down and talk w/the Service Advisor about how my A/C is not COOL enough, he started BS w/me, by telling me how my car has black upholstery and I should\'ve turn the RECIR thing on, blah blah blah.....then I told him don\'t try to blame me w/those BS, coz I\'ve had 4 different generation of Protege, and 2 of them were from YOU GUYS!!! I know how an A/C should be and work out to.....and needless to say, I took him to my car and let him try himself, he had nothing to say afterward. He asked me to leave the car and DO SOME inspections/works on it.......Then after a damn 3&1/2 hrs wait, he showed me their work---EVAC & RECHARGE A/C W/FREONR134 ?......Anyways, now apparently my A/C works a bit better/colder than b4, but I really don\'t know if it\'s actually mentally or physically.....:)

What was the temp out of the vents before and after the recharge. Once the car is cooled down it is what the temp out the vents is that will keep the car cool. GET my POINT
They didn\'t use freon, I would question that,

Indusbreed
07-13-2005, 09:46 PM
EVAC & RECHARGE A/C W/FREONR134 ?......

Joe, can you confirm this one.

MajesticBlueNTO
07-13-2005, 09:58 PM

wtf,
isnt freon illegal to use as ac stuff now?

from what i know. freon induces sleepy/drowsiness

R-134a, used in AC systems in cars nowadays, is not illegal. it is a CFC-free (Chloroflurocarbon-free) refrigerant.

R-12, used in AC systems from cars pre-1993 or so, IS illegal. it has been banned for use as it does contain CFCs (which is a major cause of the hole in the ozone layer).

air cooled with R-12 is colder than R-134a (the 92 integra in the family has R-12 and that AC will freeze your nuts off).

DeLaY_NoMoRe
07-13-2005, 10:01 PM
Actually let me make this a little clear......\"FREONR134\"---R134 is the the type of Freon that all cars now use for A/C and is CFC FREE.....the one that\'s been suspended and only used on older cars is R12.....

2nd, the temp he told me BEFORE they evac and recharge is 6.....which he CLAIMED is cold enough and he tried to convince me that in their service manual, 13 is the specification!

nifty6
07-13-2005, 10:29 PM

Actually let me make this a little clear......\"FREONR134\"---R134 is the the type of Freon that all cars now use for A/C and is CFC FREE.....the one that\'s been suspended and only used on older cars is R12.....

2nd, the temp he told me BEFORE they evac and recharge is 6.....which he CLAIMED is cold enough and he tried to convince me that in their service manual, 13 is the specification!

If the temp before the evac and recharge was 6C then why do the work, wish mine was 6C the best I can do on a hot day is 15C and 10C on a cool evening. another board mentioned that maybe the evaporator is too small to the Mix Control Cable needs an adjustment.
Maybe Flipspeed can confirm the cable adjustment with his service department? Will it help? is it a possible fix?

DeLaY_NoMoRe
07-13-2005, 11:15 PM
I really missed those days which I sat on my Dad\'s LEGEND, and seeing some white smokes came out from the vent, just like those in my fridge\'s freezer! now that\'s CONDITIONING the AIR!!! :zzz

Krakilin
07-14-2005, 06:36 PM
The A/C does indeed suck, I have a black car as well =/... the trick is open both your window and AC to start with.

FLIPDADY
07-15-2005, 07:23 AM
I\'ll look into the cable adjustment. Like Majestic mentioned earlier the evac and re-charge is with R134A. There is another refrigirant coming out soon to replace R134A.

Indusbreed
07-15-2005, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the update Joe. ;)

nifty6
07-15-2005, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by nifty6

If the temp before the evac and recharge was 6C then why do the work, wish mine was 6C the best I can do on a hot day is 15C and 10C on a cool evening. another board mentioned that maybe the evaporator is too small to the Mix Control Cable needs an adjustment.
Maybe Flipspeed can confirm the cable adjustment with his service department? Will it help? is it a possible fix?

Thanks Joe, any help would be appreciated

nifty6
07-19-2005, 10:07 PM
From the Mazda 3 forum

http://www.mazda3forums.com/gallery/albums/userpics/14563/mz3_actest.jpg

I think a test like this should be done outside in the sun as well in the shade-shop
On a hot day the best I can get is 15C from the vents and in the evening when the sun is not an issue its 10C

nifty6
07-19-2005, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by nifty6

From the Mazda 3 forum

http://www.mazda3forums.com/gallery/albums/userpics/14563/mz3_actest.jpg

I think a test like this should be done outside in the sun as well in the shade-shop
On a hot day the best I can get is 15C from the vents and in the evening when the sun is not an issue its 10C

didn\'t mention I have a 05

awhoy
07-19-2005, 10:35 PM
I took by 05 Sport GT to the dealer on Sat for a different problem, since I was there I told the service manager that my AC is cold enough. After some diagnotics, the service manager told me that the air cycling out the vents was at 38F - 40F, so it was within spec. Becaus it was early in the morning and it wasn\'t that hot, the service manager keep my work order open just in case I go back for the same problem.

On my way home I noticed that the AC was noticably cooler especially the two vents on the side. Initially I thought it was in my mind, but the last couple days my passengersalso mentioned that my AC is much cooler than before. Now the car cools down in a few minutes and it makes much more bearable when waiting at the Tim Horton drive thru at lunch time.

I don\'t know what the dealer did but I am certainly not complaining.

nifty6
07-20-2005, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by awhoy

I took by 05 Sport GT to the dealer on Sat for a different problem, since I was there I told the service manager that my AC is cold enough. After some diagnotics, the service manager told me that the air cycling out the vents was at 38F - 40F, so it was within spec. Becaus it was early in the morning and it wasn\'t that hot, the service manager keep my work order open just in case I go back for the same problem.

On my way home I noticed that the AC was noticably cooler especially the two vents on the side. Initially I thought it was in my mind, but the last couple days my passengersalso mentioned that my AC is much cooler than before. Now the car cools down in a few minutes and it makes much more bearable when waiting at the Tim Horton drive thru at lunch time.

I don\'t know what the dealer did but I am certainly not complaining.

38F to 40F is about 5C anybody getting 5c out of their vents, mine is between 10C to 15C

oroboru
07-22-2005, 08:00 AM
Would you believe I HAVEN\'T used the AC during this heat wave? I\'m too much of a cheap bastard to even turn it on, though the one or two times I did test it, the systems was worked well (post airing out the car, of course).

Indusbreed
07-22-2005, 08:41 AM
Would you believe I HAVEN\'T used the AC during this heat wave?
Should have got someother option for 1000$..;)

TheProfessor
07-22-2005, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by oroboru

Would you believe I HAVEN\'T used the AC during this heat wave? I\'m too much of a cheap bastard to even turn it on, though the one or two times I did test it, the systems was worked well (post airing out the car, of course).

If you do highway driving then I would suggest using the A/C, I believe that the drag caused by having your windows open wastes as much gas if not more than just using the Air.

I\'ve never measured the temp of the air coming out of the vents but I can tell you that 5C is not out of the question.

WoBblyCaT
07-22-2005, 10:32 AM
The air conditioner seems to work fine in my car. My wife drives the car prolly 90% of the time. I told her about how some people have complained about the crappy air conditioner. She said on the really hot and humid days, she\'s seen the white mist come out of the vents!

Also, after having the A/C on for awhile, we usually turn it off a couple mins before our destination to prevent the stink in the ducts due to mold buildup caused by condensation. The louvres(?) (The part of the vent that you see that direct the air) physically get wet too!

No complaints about the A/C over here! :D

Indusbreed
07-22-2005, 11:43 AM
Measuring the temps at the vents will be more accurate depictinon of the AC performance. Cold for one may be not so cold for other. Its very subjective and at the same time very relative.

oroboru
07-22-2005, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Indusbreed

Would you believe I HAVEN\'T used the AC during this heat wave?
Should have got someother option for 1000$..;)

A/C is to be used when you\'re stuck behind some Soccer Mom driving a Minivan on a one lane road, so it does have it\'s usages.

Regarding to the highway, I\'ve heard that there is some drag caused by the A/C, but the gas usage isn\'t that much higher than normal, is it? I keep the windows rolled open to keep me awake, more than to cool me down.

wtom
07-22-2005, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by WoBblyCaT

Also, after having the A/C on for awhile, we usually turn it off a couple mins before our destination to prevent the stink in the ducts due to mold buildup caused by condensation.

I do that too and my gf thinks I\'m weird because of it! BAH!!! :D

firstmazda
07-22-2005, 09:53 PM
Has anyone tried this (\"http://www.finishlineperformance.com/mazda3/docs/0019.pdf\") repair from the TSB regarding poor A/C performance?
And has it worked for them?

Seems like all they replace are the \"diffuser plates\".
What are those plates and what do they do?

Ray

EDIT:
Reading it over again... looks like the diffuser plates weren\'t
there in the first place?? Is that a new part designed to direct
airflow better?

FLIPDADY
07-25-2005, 08:57 AM
Moved to \"Problems with the Mazda3\".

iconicrocket
07-25-2005, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by WoBblyCaT

she\'s seen the white mist come out of the vents!

physically get wet too!

No complaints about the A/C over here! :D

My car definitely has a A/C problem. Since getting the car in March \'05 I have never seen that happen in my car. I\'m getting baked in my car each time I get it in, even opening the windows and letting the heat vent. My 4K service is coming up, I\'m going to mention this to the service manager.

PS. Have we beaten this subject to death yet? :D

bman
07-27-2005, 09:46 PM
Hi everyone new to the forum here. Good to know Canadians have their own place to share and seek info. Now if we could only get Mazda Canada to give us some of those nice options. Now for the A/C problem I believe the problem is not with the compressor ,but with the duration that the air is cooled. If you block the vents with your hand the air will get pretty cold, but will start blowing warm air soon after that. I understand the compressor cycles on and off for fuel economy. When I had this problem I went into Oakville Mazda and asked if they could possibly program the PCM to allow the compressor to stay on longer. Service Manager said it was a good idea, but didn\'t have any way to just program the operation of the compressor. So they installed theDiffuser Plate to slow down the airflow over the condensor. All I can say is what a difference. The air temp still fluactuates from cold to cool now (instead of from cool to warm really fast), but at least it is more were it should be. More consistence temp= cooler car. So I would recommend for people to have the Diffuser Plate installed.
Hope this helps.

Sammy
07-28-2005, 11:54 AM
FYI - I went to DWM for my 24Km service a month ago and asked for the Diffuser Plate TSB. I was told that they would have to order the part in, one month later and I still haven\'t heard from them. So I just called them today and found out that the part is on back order and they have no idea when they will be available.

bman
07-28-2005, 04:57 PM
Oakville Mazda had the part in stock. See if they can possibly get it from another dealer.
Part# BN8P-61-J6X.
Car cooled nicely today almost to cold sometimes. FYI if you have the fan speed on 1 and recirc it doesn\'t cool as well, put it on #2 and it is damn cold. If you want to run it on #1 choose fresh air then it is very cold. I\'m a very happy camper now in this heat wave.

Newlook
08-12-2005, 02:17 PM
How did you get Oakville to install them for you? I brought mine in and they said my A/C was operating normally and wouldn\'t install them for me.

nifty6
08-12-2005, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Newlook

How did you get Oakville to install them for you? I brought mine in and they said my A/C was operating normally and wouldn\'t install them for me.

What year is yours?
According to DWM all 05\'s came with the diffuse plates. What was the normal operating temperature?
I think it should be between 39F to 53F depending on the ambiaent temperature. There is a TSB showing where to look if you want to see if your car does have the diffuser plate.

bman
08-12-2005, 04:31 PM
If your\'s is a 2005 you are supposed to have it already. I would go back and complain that you still do not feel like it is working properly and ask them what exactly they did the first time. Maybe yours is one of the 2005\'s without the plate.:(

wtom
08-12-2005, 07:07 PM
Just an FYI I have an 04 sans diffuser plate (or cabin air filter for that matter) when the car came from the dealer/factory. I recently installed (in July) the diffuser/cabin air filter and the difference in cabin cool sensation is very slight.

If I had the time I would do this as an on-the-side job for like $10 if anything but it does take about 45 mins to get it installed. Then you gotta change it every 24K km. :p

Newlook
08-16-2005, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by wtom

Just an FYI I have an 04 sans diffuser plate (or cabin air filter for that matter) when the car came from the dealer/factory. I recently installed (in July) the diffuser/cabin air filter and the difference in cabin cool sensation is very slight.

If I had the time I would do this as an on-the-side job for like $10 if anything but it does take about 45 mins to get it installed. Then you gotta change it every 24K km. :p

Oh just a slight difference? I guess I\'m not going to bother with that then. I put it in recirculate and fan speed 3, it seems to work alright. My friend has a Civic and he said the A/C of his car is just about the same as ours - just cool, not chilly.

bman
08-16-2005, 09:53 PM
Maybe you only have a slight difference because you also have the cabin air filter installed. If you have a complain with the A/C make an appointment to have the diffuser installed and see if it makes a difference. If free under warranty after all. If you don\'t get it installed and complain to Mazda they will just say you should of had the warranty work done. If you do go to the dealer asked them if they can maybe program the PCM to changed the A/C cycling. Keeping the compressor on longer would really help.

Alex_Great
08-19-2005, 09:01 AM
I dunno what\'s the AC performance of other M3s, but mine\'s quite OK (maybe i\'m not trying to chill the car down to 16C). Matter of fact, it has vents under the driver and passenger seats, so back seats are getting direct chill (not just whatever reaches the back through the front vents). I\'m not saying it has a climate control system like those $100K cars, but for the cost of the AC, and the cost of the whole vehicle, I don\'t think its that bad. I wouldn\'t say its any worse then the Honda Civic 2002 (my folk\'s car), which has been doing the job perfectly in the past 3 years, or my friends Toyota Corolla 2003 (both vehicles of the same class).

I\'ve been driving an M3 for... a week, but this past week was HOT, and I didn\'t have any problems with it. Just let the hot air trapped inside escape in stead of trying to cool it down (30 seconds with all windows open). After that the car gets comfortable in 2 minutes, which, again, is not too bad.

Now, a side question... how does the heating perform in WINTER? Do I wait for 5 minutes in a freezing car before the heating kicks in, or that engine heater that\'s 40 bux does the job and the car starts to get cozy rite away?

Cheers!!
:p

majic
08-19-2005, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Alex_Great

Now, a side question... how does the heating perform in WINTER? Do I wait for 5 minutes in a freezing car before the heating kicks in, or that engine heater that\'s 40 bux does the job and the car starts to get cozy rite away?

Cheers!!
:p

you get used to it.. :p but it does take a little bit w/o the block heater.. read more here (http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=1331)