PDA

View Full Version : GI: CF hoods for the Mazda3

CrazyCaker
07-18-2005, 09:29 AM
Hey guys/gals

As some of you probably know, I have been doing GBs and also designed a dual vented CF/FG hood for Proteges, mainly on TOprotege.com.

I have now sold WELL over 20+ CF hoods just for the Protege alone (I do many other different cars as well). Those of you that have been to any of our meets have probably seen the quality and fitment of these hoods first hand and can agree when I say they are excellent!

Anyways, the point of this post is to find out if there is a general interest in the Mazda3 community for simular products. We are currently looking at creating molds for the Mazda3, and if there is enough interest production would begin in the early fall of this year beginning with an OE design available in both CF and FG. Other designs may follow (eg. vented) depending on the popularity of the OE style.

Because we are only gauging interest at the moment I can not give exact pricing, however you can expect a CF OE version to be around the $500 CDN range.

Joe (aka CrazyCaker)
Xcelerated Concepts

midnightfxgt
07-18-2005, 11:32 AM
Maybe next year for me :) After rims/intake/lip, and everything else I have bought this year, I am tapped out bro, but damn good price :)

-John

CrazyCaker
07-18-2005, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by midnightfxgt

Maybe next year for me :) After rims/intake/lip, and everything else I have bought this year, I am tapped out bro, but damn good price :)

-John

Remember, this is gauging interest only... The actual production will not begin until this fall. We are currently extremely busy with other projects, but once it slows down a bit (this fall) we would like to look into taking on this project.

DJB
07-18-2005, 07:23 PM
Do you have links to any pics of your work? I haven\'t seen any at any of the meets I\'ve been to and would like to see what they\'re like.

lukel90
07-18-2005, 08:41 PM
i would definately be interested in a CF hood. Keep us updated..im definately a buyer. thanks

bubba1983
07-19-2005, 07:33 AM
hmmm, CF on a ti-grey...now thats HAWT!

CrazyCaker
07-19-2005, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by DJB

Do you have links to any pics of your work? I haven\'t seen any at any of the meets I\'ve been to and would like to see what they\'re like.

Sure here\'s some pics in my current GB thread on TOprotege. http://ib2.toprotege.com/ikonboard.cgi?s=42dd02881d35ffff;act=ST;f=23;t=216 92

There are more in our Gallery section buried away. I\'ll link to them when I get a chance to search for them.

bDeE
07-19-2005, 10:47 AM
I\'d be interested.

I damaged my hood a few months ago in a snow storm accident, I got it repaired and they did a crappy job on it, the grill holes dont align properly so my grill looks slanted when its screwed onto the hood....

so yeah, id definetly be interested.

MazdaTree
07-19-2005, 10:53 AM
i think carbon fibre would like the best with ti grey and carbon grey but i could see a cf hood with blue weaving lookin sexy on a winning blue hatch:D

so yes a cf hood is a possibility:)

bubba1983
07-19-2005, 03:40 PM
hey caker...how does the CF hood hold up in winter with extreme cold temps?

skunk2
07-19-2005, 03:59 PM
can you make cf grills as well to go with the cf hood if there is demand?

CrazyCaker
07-20-2005, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by bubba1983

hey caker...how does the CF hood hold up in winter with extreme cold temps?

Holds up fine. In fact I was using one throughout this entire past winter with not even a hint of any problems.

I\'ve even gone as far as driving around for over 6 mths with an uncoated (no UV protection) raw CF hood to see how it holds up. There were no signs of any yellowing, and at the end it looked the same as when I had put it on!

Here\'s a few details of what you can expect quality wise from our hoods.

CARBON FIBER HOODS:

Hoods weigh approximately 14-17lbs.

Materials used to manufacture these products are UV stable.
All hoods are factory clear coated on the top surface and inner frame to further protect them from UV light, the same way the clear coat on your car protects your paint.

All parts are constructed with a one piece fiber glass inner frame for a clean finished, show ready look (unless otherwise noted)

Come with factory style latches and or mounting points
All mounting points consist of a drilled and tapped steel plate for added security.

Made using a 2x2 twill style 5.7oz aerospace grade carbon fiber fabric thats made in the USA.

Will not yellow, cloud and become brittle like most other carbon fiber hoods.

All parts have either beveled, or revolved (next generation roll) edges and a consistent laminate.

CrazyCaker
07-20-2005, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by skunk2

can you make cf grills as well to go with the cf hood if there is demand?

Anything is possible, but we would have to take a look at it and determine what would be involved to make it properly and then make a decision.

Jeff-TheBiz
07-21-2005, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by MazdaTree

i think carbon fibre would like the best with ti grey and carbon grey but i could see a cf hood with blue weaving lookin sexy on a winning blue hatch:D

Pics look hawt, but I am with MazdaTree.... could see it on my Sedan in the blue weave.. sick!

CrazyCaker
07-21-2005, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by TheBiz

Pics look hawt, but I am with MazdaTree.... could see it on my Sedan in the blue weave.. sick!

All the standard Kevlar weave colours (blue, silver, red, orange, yellow, etc.) will be available. The Kevlar weaves are usually about $100 extra.

mEtH
07-21-2005, 04:25 PM
So it actually holds up through the winter? I have haerd nothing but bad things about carbon fibre and the winter. I mean you can always change back everytime but just curious...

CrazyCaker
07-21-2005, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by methodyst

So it actually holds up through the winter? I have haerd nothing but bad things about carbon fibre and the winter. I mean you can always change back everytime but just curious...

Held up perfectly. I\'m not sure who these ppl are that have problems, but mine was fine. I even drove around for the first half of the winter with my old hood on, which was bought by RicecookerP5 (if any of you know him). Waxed it a few times, and it was just like having the stocker on. Then I switched over to the raw CF one with no clear coating, after he bought it and it had no problems either. I actually just took it off 2 weeks ago to put on one of my vented hoods, it is going to be cleaned up and clear coated and I\'ll keep it as an extra.

bubba1983
07-21-2005, 11:36 PM
intresting, maybe its just a mis conception i had wth CF and cold temps of it shatering....thanks for answering my question....

bubba1983
07-21-2005, 11:40 PM
..incase u haddn\'t noticed...there is intrest from over this side.....

SABIO
07-22-2005, 02:29 AM
The only thing I am waiting for is a vented hood... and not CF either.. just a nice sexy vented hood...

Fuman
07-25-2005, 01:04 PM
would u be creating one with no vents?
vents might be ok, need pics though.

SourcE
07-25-2005, 04:51 PM
+1 - definately interested

BETRTHNU
07-25-2005, 07:14 PM
I\'d love one on my winning blue sedan.

lukel90
07-26-2005, 07:30 AM
i know this is pushing it a little, but what would we be looking at in terms of price. an approx. estimate would be fine in canadian dollars.

CrazyCaker
07-26-2005, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by lukel90

i know this is pushing it a little, but what would we be looking at in terms of price. an approx. estimate would be fine in canadian dollars.

That was answered in my first post, you\'d be look at around $500-$550 CDN approx. for an OE style.

OE style would be created first, and then we\'d look into a vented option maybe a little later down the road depending on how things go.

CrazyCaker
11-03-2005, 04:05 PM
OK guys, we are ready to do this if there is still an interest!

I will however require a donor hood so that we can create our mould. We would require this donor hood for no more then 2 weeks at the most. The donor hood will not be damaged in any way, shape or form. Also, the person willing to donate their hood will recieve an extremely deep discount on their CF hood!

Regards,

Joe Wiles
Xcelerated Concepts
(416)931-XCEL

bubba1983
11-03-2005, 05:31 PM
no dice for teh donor....im to far west

whodilly
11-03-2005, 06:04 PM
what am i going to do without a hood for 2 weeks? are u looking for hatch or sedan?

SABIO
11-03-2005, 07:56 PM
Once ya make the mold... you can crank out 100\'s of hoods... $$$$$$$$
Even make more than one mold and sell that to another company.... $$$$$$$$$$

I think the donor should get a FREE hood.

MazdaTree
11-03-2005, 08:39 PM
you guys should try getting some nice CF after market grills out aswell....

astatik
11-03-2005, 09:25 PM
man carbon fiber hood sounds great
it will go nice with my carbon grey sedan :D

majic
11-03-2005, 09:39 PM

you guys should try getting some nice CF after market grills out aswell....

unless they blend in nicely with the stock bumper, we\'d need a new one of those as well :(

CrazyCaker
11-03-2005, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by whodilly

what am i going to do without a hood for 2 weeks? are u looking for hatch or sedan?

We will be looking for both. I think we may have a donor for the hatch, things will hopefully be figured out tomorrow.

MazdaTree
11-03-2005, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by CrazyCaker

Originally posted by whodilly

We will be looking for both. I think we may have a donor for the hatch, things will hopefully be figured out tomorrow.
see if its possible to get a grill too:D

CrazyCaker
11-04-2005, 11:47 AM
OK guys here\'s the deal...

We would like to get a GB going to make this worth while. Both the sedan and the hatch hoods will be made, IF we can a get minimum of 10 people for each model. Because of the production costs involved we must make sure that there is going to be some what of a demand for this product.

The price of the hoods will be $450, and we will require a deposit of $150. The balance will be payable when you recieve your hood.

I would like to start 2 lists, one for each style of hood. Please add your name only if you are seriously interested. Once 10 ppl are confirmed in either style, I will begin collecting the deposits, and the hood will begin production. Turn around time will be approximately 1 month from the time all deposits are recieved.

NOTE: I will also donate $10 from every hood sale to the TorontoMazda3 Club! I hope this is OK with the Admins/Mods here. ;)

SEDAN
1)
2)
3)
4)

HATCH
1)
2)
3)
4)

majic
11-04-2005, 12:06 PM

HATCH
1)
2)
3)
4)

before you get our hopes up and all ;) what are you going to do about the stock grill? leave as is? get a CF one made? either way it\'ll look weird on the hatch since it\'s 2piece design.. lets hear it..

skunk2
11-04-2005, 12:13 PM
i\'d be in for a matching cf grill and hood

CrazyCaker
11-04-2005, 01:07 PM
before you get our hopes up and all ;) what are you going to do about the stock grill? leave as is? get a CF one made? either way it\'ll look weird on the hatch since it\'s 2piece design.. lets hear it..

I\'m not sure what your trying to imply by saying before I get my hopes up, I really don\'t have any. If this doesn\'t work out we just move along to the next vehicle is all.

Anyways... we will be looking into what would be required to make the grill out of CF. Sometimes grills can be tricky and require different processes to make them (eg. vaccum process), which are more costly. With that being said, we can make the hood without the grill quite easily, which would keep the final price down.

bubba1983
11-04-2005, 04:31 PM
i presume that a mould has been attained for the sedan?

CrazyCaker
11-04-2005, 07:21 PM

i presume that a mould has been attained for the sedan?

No, not yet.

bubba1983
11-05-2005, 03:01 AM
k thanks..

SABIO
11-05-2005, 08:08 AM

I\'m not sure what your trying to imply by saying before I get my hopes up, I really don\'t have any. If this doesn\'t work out we just move along to the next vehicle is all.

Anyways... we will be looking into what would be required to make the grill out of CF. Sometimes grills can be tricky and require different processes to make them (eg. vaccum process), which are more costly. With that being said, we can make the hood without the grill quite easily, which would keep the final price down.

What he is saying is the grill is 2 pieces.. the top part attaches to the hood. Putting the top piece on a CF hood problably won\'t work... or look gay. A CF grill would be needed for proper fitment and styling.
And it sounds like you really don\'t care

bubba1983
11-16-2005, 12:43 AM
soo no dice with this?
whats the deal....no voulinteers?

FLIPDADY
11-16-2005, 07:50 AM

soo no dice with this?
I think no one wants in b/c the CF hood looks gay on the 3.

majic
11-16-2005, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by FLIPSPEED

soo no dice with this?
I think no one wants in b/c the CF hood looks gay on the 3.

especially on the hatch that would need a new grill and bumper

CrazyCaker
11-16-2005, 09:12 AM
This topic can be closed. Due to lack of interest we have already moved onto another project, and this will not be happening.

Sorry to those that were truely interested.