PDA

View Full Version : GPS

jdanielsg
08-24-2005, 01:32 AM
I was thinking of getting GPS, however I am reluctant to spend too much money and do not know how they really work. Is there something which I can update frequently and how does one enter point to point address etc? Would appreciate a point to the right direction.. hopefully something that doesnt require me to pay a monthly fee.

bubba1983
08-24-2005, 03:15 AM
u can easily do that with a laptop....u jus need the road map disk\'s and the transmitter thing that determines yoru location..

FLIPDADY
08-24-2005, 07:59 AM
In the Best Buy flyer there was one for $900 made by Garmin, with touch screen. It would fit nicely in our cars.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/AJBOY_99/GPS.jpg

jdanielsg
08-24-2005, 03:13 PM
Kinda Expensive.

Whos ur dadd
08-24-2005, 03:30 PM
Not if you figure that some OEM Nav systems are a $3000 option (like the RX8). On our MDX, you could only get the NAV along with the DVD player, a $5200 option.

Mind you, the handheld GPS may not be as nice as an integrated system, but you have alot of mod money by buying aftermarket.

jdanielsg
08-24-2005, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Whos ur dadd

Not if you figure that some OEM Nav systems are a $3000 option (like the RX8). On our MDX, you could only get the NAV along with the DVD player, a $5200 option.

Mind you, the handheld GPS may not be as nice as an integrated system, but you have alot of mod money by buying aftermarket.

yeah a fren of mine has a Telus PDA phone and someone gave hime some sort of GPS thing which works via BT and he says its quite good I have to check it out n see what he has exactly maybe that option might work for me.

Ex-Rolla
08-25-2005, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by FLIPSPEED

In the Best Buy flyer there was one for $900 made by Garmin, with touch screen. It would fit nicely in our cars.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/AJBOY_99/GPS.jpg

These things are awesome... I got a rental from Hertz and it had the Garmin GPS in the car. you can find anything using that. Very impressed by it.

LOCKDOWN-P5
08-25-2005, 10:48 PM
Hello Everyone

We have systems like the one pictured from a few different companies starting from $749.99 plus taxes. They work great and are an amazing way to find your way pretty much anywhere around North America.

We offer GPS navigation systems from the following companies:

ECLIPSE, FINEDRIVE, GARMIN, TOM TOM, PIONEER.

Please feel free to forward any questions you may have directly to us here at LOCKDOWN Enterprises Inc.

Regards

Jeff Bates
LOCKDOWN Enterprises Inc.

Illmatic
08-26-2005, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by jdanielsg

I was thinking of getting GPS, however I am reluctant to spend too much money and do not know how they really work. Is there something which I can update frequently and how does one enter point to point address etc? Would appreciate a point to the right direction.. hopefully something that doesnt require me to pay a monthly fee.

I work for CTC and I think we have an Auto GPS unit that is supposed to be available within the next few weeks. Not 100% sure of the price but from what I hear it\'s not very expensive at all. If you want I can keep an eye out and give you some more info when I hear anything else!

jdanielsg
08-26-2005, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Illmatic

I work for CTC and I think we have an Auto GPS unit that is supposed to be available within the next few weeks. Not 100% sure of the price but from what I hear it\'s not very expensive at all. If you want I can keep an eye out and give you some more info when I hear anything else!

1. thanks for the reply
2. wats CTC
3. keep an eye out ? sure thing thanks lots

S.F.W.
08-26-2005, 10:49 AM
Hey Illmatic,

Please keep us posted...if I could get one of these it would save so many trees...

Illmatic
08-26-2005, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by Illmatic

1. thanks for the reply
2. wats CTC
3. keep an eye out ? sure thing thanks lots

CTC - Canadian Tire Corporation

SoopaBanana
08-26-2005, 12:08 PM
Any group buy opportunities to be found here guys?

swales
08-26-2005, 02:08 PM
I use a Pocket PC for GPS and it works great :D

jdanielsg
08-26-2005, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by swales

but what GPS module do u use ?

swales
08-27-2005, 09:13 AM

I use a globalsat bluetooth GPS module and Destinator GPS software.

jdanielsg
08-27-2005, 09:37 AM

which model ?

swales
08-29-2005, 07:38 AM

which model ?

I\'ve got the GlobalSat BT-338 (use now) and a BT-308 (old model). They both work great and I\'ve had no problems using them across Canada, the US and the UK.

fat mike
09-03-2005, 01:40 AM
I am curently saving my money for this unit. Lowrance iWay 500 (http://www.lowrance.com/Automotive/Products/iWAY500C.asp) this unit is soo sweeet!

Illmatic
09-04-2005, 11:06 PM
If you guys are still interested in the GPS I was talking about it should be in stores within the next two to three weeks. Not sure about the price yet but I\'ll provide some more info if I hear anything else.

S.F.W.
09-05-2005, 02:18 AM
I\'m still interested.

LOCKDOWN-P5
09-07-2005, 02:16 AM
Hello Everyone

We have just listed a GPS group buy in the Group Buy section of the forum. If you are interested please feel free to take a look.

Regards

Jeff Bates
LOCKDOWN Enterprises Inc.

Illmatic
09-18-2005, 10:15 PM
Hey guys, the GPS unit I was talking about is finally available at Canadian Tire. It\'s made by a company called MacVision. I don\'t know much about GPS units but it seems pretty decent and it only retails for $399.99.

eguiyab
09-19-2005, 01:23 AM
For those looking for a multi-tasking item, check out Garmin\'s IQue line. I have the IQue 3600 and it doubles as a PDA. Well it really is a PDA. I find that Garmin tends to have excellent maps. The PDA versions of GPS\'s are convenient because you can place then in any car, take them out when you need to, and you know you can get more out of it than just the GPS function.
I hooked mine up to a car kit, and an external antenna and I always have a solid link up, even in downtown toronto surrounded by all the buildings.

jdanielsg
09-19-2005, 02:41 AM
Anyone here bought a stand alone GPS receiver w/o software, such a Globalsat BT 338? And got a seperate BT PDA? If you did what stabdalone software did you get

FLIPDADY
12-14-2005, 08:40 AM
Just saw this at the new electronics store at Hillcrest Mall.

Actual size:
http://www.garmin.com/products/spi3/gallery/pt-spi301a.jpg

It was $400 + and is very portable. It\'s about the size of a Gameboy Advanced SP.

I would want to mount it on the steering column just in front of the gauge assembly.

Kry_sta
01-15-2006, 07:59 PM
Is there anyone who has an aftermarket GPS, I\'ve seen the GPS you can get when you buy the car, but if you buy an aftermarket one, where do you put it? Does anyone have a picture of one, or ideas where it can go?

FLIPDADY
01-18-2006, 08:24 AM
Over the holiday\'s I picked up the Magellan Road Mate 700 from Future Shop.

I still haven\'t taken a picture of my set-up yet. It\'s mounted at the center of the windshield right now.

Road Mate 700 (http://www.magellangps.com/en/products/product.asp?PRODID=955)

Junior
01-18-2006, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Kry_sta

Is there anyone who has an aftermarket GPS, I\'ve seen the GPS you can get when you buy the car, but if you buy an aftermarket one, where do you put it? Does anyone have a picture of one, or ideas where it can go?

you could pick up one of those mazda3 cover things that replaces the entire stock HU, with the pocket (or if they have a double din unti, even better) and just modify it to fit a coudlbe dinn unit.

then you do this (http://www.eclipse-web.com/avn5495-index.html)

you can\'t go wrong, as long as you have deep pockets

http://www.eclipse-web.com/avn/images/avn5435.jpg