PDA

View Full Version : Thin paint?

Dave_Mazda3
08-25-2005, 02:02 PM
i\'ve had my 3 for about 6 weeks (silver sport) and i had i rock hit the hood (damn 401 road work)
No big deal... shit happens but i noticed that the paint is really really thin and was wondering if anyone else noticed this too???

Also hows the match with the touch up paint from the dealership?

FLIPDADY
08-25-2005, 02:09 PM
I don\'t think it has anything to do with the car\'s paint. If a rock hits your hood regardless of what make or manufacturer will cause a chip. It also depends on how fast you were travelling too.

The touch-up paint matches well to the factory finish.

MajesticBlueNTO
08-25-2005, 04:52 PM
welcome to the world of lead-product-free paint.

a few years back (2000 or even earlier), the use of any type of lead product in automotive paint was banned. as a result, the paint applied by (mostly japanese) car companies flakes off with any road debris that hits it.

my 2001 maxima did it...so did my friend\'s 2000-2003 maximas...my friend\'s 2000 celica did it (his was waaaaaay worse than mine: red car, white-spotted hood). do a search on most japanese car forums and you\'ll see that the paint chipping issue is quite prevalent.

certain car manufacturers that apply more than 2-3 coats of paint don\'t have this issue (some bmw\'s have been reported to have 8 coats of paint and clear combined).

only thing you can do is live with it...get a clear bra on the hood to protect the most vulnerable area ...and brush up on your paint chip repair skills.

idreamofmazda
08-25-2005, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by MajesticBlueN

welcome to the world of lead-product-free paint.

a few years back (2000 or even earlier), the use of any type of lead product in automotive paint was banned. as a result, the paint applied by (mostly japanese) car companies flakes off with any road debris that hits it.

my 2001 maxima did it...so did my friend\'s 2000-2003 maximas...my friend\'s 2000 celica did it (his was waaaaaay worse than mine: red car, white-spotted hood). do a search on most japanese car forums and you\'ll see that the paint chipping issue is quite prevalent.

certain car manufacturers that apply more than 2-3 coats of paint don\'t have this issue (some bmw\'s have been reported to have 8 coats of paint and clear combined).

only thing you can do is live with it...get a clear bra on the hood to protect the most vulnerable area ...and brush up on your paint chip repair skills.

That’s too bad, but would explain why the paint on my 95 Saturn held out so well.

chinsterr
08-28-2005, 03:03 AM
I was just about to post a thread about this issue . I was washing my car the other day and notice a SH!T load of paint chips .. theres one even on the trunk (WTF?) I am not sure about the whole japanese cars having more chips, but all I know is that my friend (who has a 2004 toyota matrix,and drives the highway everyday) does not have as many chips as i do ><

Chinsterr

al01
08-29-2005, 10:20 PM
lol good theres only a few on my car (for now) =D

my windshield takes all the damage ( stupid ****** trucks )