PDA

View Full Version : Winter is coming

Shogun
09-12-2005, 07:51 AM
Yes, I did search for past threads and found a lot of them relating to winter tires, but the references to dealers refered to the west side of Toronto or Markham.

I was wondering if anyone on the east side (i.e. Whitby or Oshawa) had experience with tire dealers in our area and can offer some options.

Also, what was the general opinion of your winter tires from last season? Are you satisfied with them or looking at changing?

For my new GT, I\'m looking at the Hankook W300, which seemed to be popular in last years threads. The dealer\'s going to offer Nokian\'s for $800+ installed on 16\" steelies, but I need to look at options before making a selection based on cost/quality.

FLIPDADY
09-12-2005, 07:56 AM
Continue this discussion on Wheels/Tires section.

idreamofmazda
09-12-2005, 12:48 PM
Check out Tire Depot Ajax, 905-619-1222. I negotiated the Pirelli Winter Carving 15-inch for $650, but mounted on the car myself. The tires are okay, but I expected a bit better than the cheap Canadian Tire tires I had on my last car, however, my research from last year had the Pirelli rated for long treadware, which means probably a bit harder compound. I was okay with this, as most of my winter driving was in the city, and most of the time would be spend on dry pavement.

TheProfessor
09-12-2005, 01:57 PM
Nokian tires mounted on 16\'s for $800 is not bad if you ask me......they are one of the best winter tire brands available. I had them on my turbo civic and they were really, really good ;)

I\'m gonna have to buy two sets of rims/tires before winter :(

Whos ur dadd
09-12-2005, 02:29 PM
This thread reeks of a GROUP BUY!!!

I may be interest in winters this year.

TheProfessor
09-12-2005, 02:36 PM
I would definately be in for a group buy, as long as the tires are of good quality ;)

m_a_t_r_i_x
09-12-2005, 06:35 PM
do i hear group buy on winter tires? :) IM in!

Shogun
09-12-2005, 07:18 PM
Matrix, that is an awsome looking car in your avatar.

Post some more pictures if you have them.

awhoy
09-12-2005, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Whos ur dadd

This thread reeks of a GROUP BUY!!!

I may be interest in winters this year.

I was just thinking of the same thing. I am IN.

m_a_t_r_i_x
09-12-2005, 07:41 PM
dats all i got..... dont knw if its real or photoshop....

Originally posted by Shogun

Matrix, that is an awsome looking car in your avatar.

Post some more pictures if you have them.

black305
09-12-2005, 11:54 PM
I\'m in for a set. Don\'t really know what tires or steelies I\'m looking for yet.

SABIO
09-13-2005, 03:55 AM
I think tires23 should step up with some pricing for us :)

Wheres Billy? I would prefer a nice set of Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3 205/50/17

SourcE
09-13-2005, 09:36 AM
I\'m definately in for a set of steelies and tires, had some awesome Yoka\'s last year on my civic, soft as butter, but held up very well....got \'em from Kipling Tire....

I can ask them about a group buy if y\'all want.

Whos ur dadd
09-13-2005, 10:36 AM
Nokians!!!

TheProfessor
09-13-2005, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Whos ur dadd

Nokians!!!

Yup, I would definately be in for a couple of sets of Nokians!

Whos ur dadd
09-13-2005, 11:53 AM
Rough count of 9 sets already! And it\'ll be 32 degrees out today!!!

SourcE
09-13-2005, 12:38 PM
How much are these Nokians you speak of?
Never heard of them.....but after some google reviews they seem to be the dogs bollocks. :p

I\'m up for a group buy, where do I sign?

rallyboy
09-13-2005, 01:02 PM
I spoke to the guys at tires 23 about a month ago. they said winter stuff is available near the end of September. I was asking about Nokians with the Rav 4/Highlander 16\" steels. If a group buy is organized, I am in!

SoopaBanana
09-13-2005, 01:09 PM
I wanna outfit winter tires on my stock wheels... Aside from pricing, is that recommended?

Regardless, if there\'s a group buy, I\'m definitely interested!! Let\'s get our options and lists going!

Whos ur dadd
09-13-2005, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by SoopaBanana

I wanna outfit winter tires on my stock wheels... Aside from pricing, is that recommended?

Are you getting aftermarket rims for summer? If so, it\'d be awesome to have winters on stock alloys.

However, if you\'re switching back and forth between winters and summers on the stock rims, once you do it a couple of times, you\'d have paid for the cost of steel rims. Mounting/dismounting would likely scratch your alloys as well. Also, moving the wheel weights around leaves marks on your rims.

rallyboy
09-13-2005, 03:52 PM
Be careful if you want to run alloys in the winter, I did this for a while with my Merkur XR4Ti and after a few years, the alloy started to corrode and blister. This forced up the plastic coating and started the air leaking out between the rim and plastic coating. Only repairable with a toatl refinish job. I know the steels will get some rust, but usually easy to fix.

SoopaBanana
09-14-2005, 03:13 PM
Interesting... Yeah I was planning to run the stock alloys for winter but now I\'m having second thought... Dammit!! Must sell stock wheels now... :p

Broli
09-14-2005, 09:14 PM
i\'m in if theres a group buy

SABIO
09-15-2005, 03:14 AM
I think the quality of the mazda rim is better than anything Merkur ever made..................

ThePartsStore
09-15-2005, 11:08 AM
MOT is offering winter tire packages with genuine Mazda steel rims

15\" packages starting from $649.95 installed
16\" packages starting from $689.95 installed

These packages with the OEM steel rims are in limited quantities
These packages will start to be available late October

After the OEM rims are gone we will still offer the packages but maybe at a bit higher price as steel rims have gone up, the OEM rims were ordered in May so I have the price set from then.

Ask either myself or FLIPSPEED about what tires come with these packages..

We will try to keep a low price for you guys/girls if you want a different tire than the packages that we have..

Shogun
09-15-2005, 06:05 PM
I\'d be interested in knowing what the tires are. Whitby Mazda hasn\'t got anything in yet, but they were figuring it would be around $800 installed. I assume that they are using regular steelies.

Ex-Rolla
09-15-2005, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by ThePartsStore

MOT is offering winter tire packages with genuine Mazda steel rims

15\" packages starting from $649.95 installed
16\" packages starting from $689.95 installed

These packages with the OEM steel rims are in limited quantities
These packages will start to be available late October

After the OEM rims are gone we will still offer the packages but maybe at a bit higher price as steel rims have gone up, the OEM rims were ordered in May so I have the price set from then.

Ask either myself or FLIPSPEED about what tires come with these packages..

We will try to keep a low price for you guys/girls if you want a different tire than the packages that we have..

Hey TPS,

I am very interested in this. Can you please provide additional details regarding the tires that will come with this package? I realize in the price you mentioned \"from $$$\", so do we get a choice of a few different snow tires? Thanks in advanced.

Ohh, one more suggestion, post it up in the group buy section. I\'m sure a lot of people will be interested, especially at that price.

everfeb
09-16-2005, 12:33 PM
FLIPSPEED...what is MOT...how much $$ are just the 16\" Mazda OEM \"steelies\" and will you ship?
Thanks.
everfeb

wtom
09-16-2005, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by everfeb

what is MOT...

Mazda of Toronto at Yonge Street and Newton Drive in Toronto, just south of Steeles.

bluntman
09-16-2005, 12:43 PM
MOT = Mazda of Toronto

Not to be mistaken by MTO = Ministry of Transportation (that\'s me).

ThePartsStore
09-16-2005, 12:56 PM
Hey TPS,

I am very interested in this. Can you please provide additional details regarding the tires that will come with this package? I realize in the price you mentioned \"from $$$\", so do we get a choice of a few different snow tires? Thanks in advanced.

Ohh, one more suggestion, post it up in the group buy section. I\'m sure a lot of people will be interested, especially at that price.

OK here are some of the tires with the packages

15\" steel wheels with 195/65/R15 tires
Conti Winter TS810 $764.95
Pirelli Winter Carving $774.95
Pirelli W210 Sottozero $814.95
Lee Snowtrakker ST/2 $649.95
Viking Snowtech $659.95

16\" steel wheels with 205/55/R16 tires
Conti Winter TS810 $899.95
Pirelli W210 Snowsport $947.95
Pirelli W210 Sottozero $1024.95
Pirelli Winter Carving $859.95
Dunlop Graspic DS-2 $824.95
Dunlop SP Wintersport M3 $954.95
Lee Snowtrakker ST/2 $739.95
Viking Snowtech $689.95

All prices are mounted balanced and installed plus taxes

We also are offering 16\" Alloy wheel packages starting at $899.95

everfeb
09-19-2005, 06:36 PM
ThePartsStore....so how much $$$ are just the 16\" steelies??? and will you ship???
Thanks very much for the info.
everfeb
BLUNTMAN & WTOM - thanks for clarifying the MOT thing.

ThePartsStore
09-20-2005, 08:46 AM
I am not selling the OEM steel rims seperately I only have a limited supply coming in and I am offering those to the people who want winter packages...
If I was selling them seperately the shipping cost to Ottawa you would pay alot more for them....check Bank street Mazda in Ottawa and ask them for the Steel OEM rims from the Mazda wheel program they will be the same as the OEM ones but a lot cheaper..
hope that helps

Tires23
09-20-2005, 11:17 AM
Sorry to jump in the thread late.

We do have some of the winter pricing as of now, and we\'ll post up them (in another new thread of coz :))very soon when we got pricing from all brands.

15\" winter package will be starting from $545 (tax and installed)

Please give us a call if you need pricing for winter tires and packages.

Thanks

Whos ur dadd
09-26-2005, 01:16 PM
Arranging a Nokian Winter Tire Group Buy (http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=3671&page=1). Mods please let me know if there are any concerns re sponsors, etc.

SABIO
09-27-2005, 05:33 PM
I just Ordered My Viking SnoTechs From Tires23. 205/50/17. Of course at a GREAT Price!!!
Thanks Billy and the Crew.

http://www.tireworks.ca/images/tires/viking/Viking-Snow-Tech.jpg

SNOW TECH

Features

Directionally-oriented tread pattern design with widening lateral grooves
New generation silica compound technology
Improved contour concept
Carver technology
Benefits

Optimum protection against aquaplaning and slushplaning
Improvement on wet grip level, increased safety margins on icy and snowy surfaces
Provides increased ground contact area and even pressure distribution for improved ice handling performance
Optimized traction on the snow and better handling in the curves

and these a German made by Conti. :)

And I believe Billy is working on a great package deal for everyone too......

majic
09-27-2005, 06:34 PM
begs to ask the question..

how much :)

FLIPDADY
10-20-2005, 03:49 PM
Here is the alloy rim offered with the Mazda 3 snow package.

BSA 264 with Pirelli W210 Snowsport $1,199.95
BSA 264 with Pirell Winter Carving $1,074.95
BSA 264 with Dunlop Graspic $1,024.95
BSA 264 with Viking Snowtech $899.95:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/AJBOY_99/IMG_0297.jpg

TheProfessor
10-20-2005, 04:18 PM
That\'s a pretty nice rim for winter use! Do the above prices include club discount? What about installation?

FLIPDADY
10-20-2005, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by PSIVIC

That\'s a pretty nice rim for winter use! Do the above prices include club discount? What about installation?
No club discount on these unfortunately. The price includes mount balance and install plus taxes of course.

ds2chan
10-20-2005, 04:46 PM
I\'m planning on buying tires with a friend and Blue_Dragon probably from Wheels Direct since they seem to be giving me the best quote close to me.. they\'re just East of Sheppard and McCowan..

www.wheels-direct.com

this is what they (I talked to a guy named Cornel) quoted me..

205/55/16
Viking Snowtech: $600
Hankook W404: $700
Hankook W300: $725
Dunlop M3: $970

we might be able to talk them down some more if more people are interested.. if you\'re interested please let me know.. I\'m planning on buying in the next 2 weeks..

possible group buy:
http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=3973

Edit: oops.. they\'re not an authorized vendor.. my bad.. well, I\'ll be going there anyways.. if anybody else wants to tag along just let me know.. please post here and PM just in case I forget to check back here.. thanks..

ThePartsStore
10-20-2005, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by ds2chan

I\'m planning on buying tires with a friend and Blue_Dragon probably from Wheels Direct since they seem to be giving me the best quote close to me.. they\'re just East of Sheppard and McCowan..

www.wheels-direct.com

205/55/16

we might be able to talk them down some more if more people are interested.. if you\'re interested please let me know.. I\'m planning on buying in the next 2 weeks..

possible group buy:

Edit: oops.. they\'re not an authorized vendor.. my bad.. well, I\'ll be going there anyways.. if anybody else wants to tag along just let me know.. please post here and PM just in case I forget to check back here.. thanks..

Are those price with rims and installed?

If you want the Dunlop M3 our price is $955 installed with Mazda genuine steel rims
The Vikings would be $690 with the Mazda genuine steel rims installed

ds2chan
10-20-2005, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by ThePartsStore

Originally posted by ds2chan

www.wheels-direct.com

205/55/16

possible group buy:

Are those price with rims and installed?

If you want the Dunlop M3 our price is $955 installed with Mazda genuine steel rims
The Vikings would be $690 with the Mazda genuine steel rims installed

yeah, those are with rims.. the Dunlop M3 is a quote for my friend who doesn\'t have a mazda 3.. as tempting as the mazda rims sound and look, I don\'t have the extra funds to pay $700 for tires right now.. I can only stretch it out to $600.. that\'s why I\'m opting for the pay cash and don\'t pay tax route..