PDA

View Full Version : Brakes

nifty6
09-26-2005, 04:57 PM
Have had the squeeky brakes since about 600KM(six hundred). Only happens in the morning and a cool damp day like to-day (Monday).More noticable in reverse. Today was really bad, my wife backed the car out of the garage and I could hear them squeel like a pig and I was at the back, inside the house. Even made the noise when braking in forward. Went to the dealer and they said they couldn\'t do anything as they have not had a notice from Mazda to fix them. I mentioned the TSB for the 2004, mines a 2005, and they said the 2005 have the new updated pads, ya right. It is not only the backs but one of the front is squeeling. So why are they still squeelying? and it appears they will do nothing about it under warranty.
I also told them the rear wheels dust up quickly compared to the front. Their solution..drive about 10 K/H and stoop on the brake really hard as this will seperate the pads further from the rotors.
OK my question is anybody with a 2005 have the same problem? If so did you get them fixed under warranty? Going to phone Mazda tomorrow and see what they say. If there is a TSB for the 04 and if the 05 have the same problem why not fix them.

MajesticBlueNTO
09-26-2005, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by nifty6

Have had the squeeky brakes since about 600KM(six hundred). Only happens in the morning and a cool damp day like to-day (Monday).More noticable in reverse. Today was really bad, my wife backed the car out of the garage and I could hear them squeel like a pig and I was at the back, inside the house. Even made the noise when braking in forward. Went to the dealer and they said they couldn\'t do anything as they have not had a notice from Mazda to fix them. I mentioned the TSB for the 2004, mines a 2005, and they said the 2005 have the new updated pads, ya right. It is not only the backs but one of the front is squeeling. So why are they still squeelying? and it appears they will do nothing about it under warranty.
I also told them the rear wheels dust up quickly compared to the front. Their solution..drive about 10 K/H and stoop on the brake really hard as this will seperate the pads further from the rotors.
OK my question is anybody with a 2005 have the same problem? If so did you get them fixed under warranty? Going to phone Mazda tomorrow and see what they say. If there is a TSB for the 04 and if the 05 have the same problem why not fix them.

if you take a look at your rotors on a damp day, you will see that there might be rust on it from the moisture in the air.

This rust could be causing the squealing when the pads make initial contact. Once the rust is gone (from braking which scrapes it off), the squealing should go away.

nifty6
09-27-2005, 07:53 PM
The squeeling does go away but the TSB says \" noise from the rear brakes when coming to a stop either in forward or reverse. This is due to a stick-slip condition between the rear disc pad and rotor.\" I have noticed very little rust on the rotors which is probably the cause but it still should not happen with any car. The TSB does not mention the cause due to rust. I have read on other forums changing the pads also reduced the excessive dust.

nifty6
09-28-2005, 03:11 PM
The TSB for the \" brake squeak \" is for the U.S models only. Doesn\'t apply to Canadian sold cars.
If Cars sold here in Canada have the same problem why isn\'t the TSB apply to us? I guess Mazda thinks Canadians are idiots and we would except what ever they give us. We don\'t complain enough and are told \"this is normal\" as a way out.

ds2chan
09-28-2005, 03:21 PM

The squeeling does go away but the TSB says \" noise from the rear brakes when coming to a stop either in forward or reverse. This is due to a stick-slip condition between the rear disc pad and rotor.\" I have noticed very little rust on the rotors which is probably the cause but it still should not happen with any car. The TSB does not mention the cause due to rust. I have read on other forums changing the pads also reduced the excessive dust.

MoT (Mazda of Toronto) told me the exact same thing.. I asked one of the mods on this forum and he told me everybody has this problem and Mazda won\'t do anything about it.. the first time u step on ur brakes it\'ll squeak.. I guess we all have to live with it.. if u can get mazda to do something about it then thumbs up to u and please let us know how u got them to do something about it..

I wonder if u can fix this when u go to change ur brakes (after wearing them down)..

nifty6
09-28-2005, 10:10 PM
Ya Mazda says the TSB for the brakes is only for the U.S. cars only. Car made in Japan sold in Canada and U.S. so why only a TSB for the U.S. market, just don\'t get it.
Could add a noise damping pad on the back of the pads. A new car and I have to do repairs already at my cost.

ds2chan
09-28-2005, 10:33 PM

Ya Mazda says the TSB for the brakes is only for the U.S. cars only. Car made in Japan sold in Canada and U.S. so why only a TSB for the U.S. market, just don\'t get it.
Could add a noise damping pad on the back of the pads. A new car and I have to do repairs already at my cost.

yeah, they\'re just giving everybody the run around.. I got use to it and figured I\'ll just forget about it.. it\'s not worth the effort and not worth my money.. if I were u I would just give it a few weeks and see if u really care about it after a few weeks.. u might actually change ur mind by then..

wtom
09-28-2005, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by ds2chan

yeah, they\'re just giving everybody the run around.. I got use to it and figured I\'ll just forget about it.. it\'s not worth the effort and not worth my money.. if I were u I would just give it a few weeks and see if u really care about it after a few weeks.. u might actually change ur mind by then..

Sorry to say this, Dave, but you\'re gonna despise braking in the winter time with the stock pads. Suggestion before the cold hits; replace pads with the newer set of OEM pads which have been said to be much less noisy, or purchase a pair of aftermarket pads.

Squealing Brakes issue has been discussed
- Cold temps causing brake squeal (http://www.torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=834)
- Brakes Squealing? (http://www.torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=1211)

Not closing thread tho because nifty inquires about his suggestion given by dealership service to combat the brake dust problem (it won\'t make the brake dust appear less!).

ds2chan
09-29-2005, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by wtom

Originally posted by ds2chan

Sorry to say this, Dave, but you\'re gonna despise braking in the winter time with the stock pads. Suggestion before the cold hits; replace pads with the newer set of OEM pads which have been said to be much less noisy, or purchase a pair of aftermarket pads.

Squealing Brakes issue has been discussed
- Cold temps causing brake squeal (http://www.torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=834)
- Brakes Squealing? (http://www.torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=1211)

Not closing thread tho because nifty inquires about his suggestion given by dealership service to combat the brake dust problem (it won\'t make the brake dust appear less!).

damn, well, right now I can either afford brakes or tires.. in my head, I think tires is the way to go considering I don\'t want to be slipping and sliding down yonge st.. I guess I\'ll worry about the brakes later..

man, I read thru those threads and I can only imagine the meets during the winter season.. everybody\'s parked facing out of their parking spot.. :p ie, everybody\'s backed into their parking spot.. I\'d like to get a candid shot of that..

nifty6
09-29-2005, 09:57 AM
Maybe we should all back into our parking spots at a winter meet, everybody back out at the same time and video tape it and send it to Mazda. Maybe it would make them wake up...

FLIPDADY
09-29-2005, 03:35 PM

Maybe we should all back into our parking spots at a winter meet, everybody back out at the same time and video tape it and send it to Mazda. Maybe it would make them wake up...
That\'s nothing when I worked at Subaru the STI that has $1200.00 rear brakes squealed too. How about the Porsche turbo optional carbon fibre front brakes a $2000.00 option including brake squeal.
It only happens when it\'s cold.

Titanum-3
09-29-2005, 04:00 PM
I just went to Mazda of Brampton for my 24000km service, for my 2004 Mazda 3 Sport GT. I waited for almost 3 hours, when they finally said it was done they asked me if I noticed the brakes squeaked and I said yes. They said that they replaced the front pads and ordered a new set for the rear, all under warranty! I was really surprised they did this without me saying anything at all. I didn\'t ask them why, but they replaced part of the caliper as well. I originally painted the calipers all red and now they are red and gold and they actually look pretty cool. What do you think?
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/542000-542999/542663_75_full.jpg
Maybe some of you guys can try Mazda of Brampton for new brakes.

ds2chan
09-29-2005, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Titanum-3

I just went to Mazda of Brampton for my 24000km service, for my 2004 Mazda 3 Sport GT. I waited for almost 3 hours, when they finally said it was done they asked me if I noticed the brakes squeaked and I said yes. They said that they replaced the front pads and ordered a new set for the rear, all under warranty! I was really surprised they did this without me saying anything at all. I didn\'t ask them why, but they replaced part of the caliper as well. I originally painted the calipers all red and now they are red and gold and they actually look pretty cool. What do you think?
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/542000-542999/542663_75_full.jpg
Maybe some of you guys can try Mazda of Brampton for new brakes.

nice.. please let us know if the brakes stop squeaking..

and nice calipers.. I wish I could get mine painted but I don\'t have the resources available..

nifty6
09-29-2005, 05:21 PM
Have you noticed a reduction in brake dust. Wonder if they would do any 2005??

Titanum-3
09-29-2005, 06:52 PM
The rear brake pads are still on order. I hope there will be less brake dust once they are installed.

nifty6
09-29-2005, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Titanum-3

The rear brake pads are still on order. I hope there will be less brake dust once they are installed.

keep us informed
Thanks

Titanum-3
10-28-2005, 08:51 PM
Just an update on my brakes: I have been driving around now for two weeks and haven’t washed my car and the rims have hardly any brake dust on them. The breaks still squeak in the morning when in reverse, I have not really noticed any change. I am happy that most of the brake dust is gone.

Ex-Rolla
10-29-2005, 08:27 PM
Last 3 weeks, I\'ve noticed my brakes squeaking when lightly pressing the brake, usually when slowing down from 60 to 40... sometime happens when I\'m going slower than that. Not sure if the front or the rear though. I\'ll have to get them checked out soon.

I\'ll update you all once i know what it is.

///M
11-06-2005, 06:55 PM
My fronts have long been overdue for replacement, and after many delays, they\'re finally done.

- Rotora slotted OE replacement rotors
- TechnaFit SS brake lines
- EBC GreenStuff front brake pads
- Motul DOT 5.1 brake fluid.

Braking performance is much improved*, and the SS brake lines firms up the pedal nicely. I\'m still getting used to the increased responsivenes of the brakes and re-adjusting my footwork for smooth heel/toe downshifting.

* Do bear in mind that my old rotors were warped, and pads glazed, so part of the improvement I experienced may have been accounted for by this fact.

Anyhow, onto the pics.

http://individual.utoronto.ca/cc_706/brakes1.jpg

http://individual.utoronto.ca/cc_706/brakes2.jpg

bluntman
11-06-2005, 08:57 PM
Nice! Are the SS brake line on the front and rear?

///M
11-06-2005, 11:19 PM
Yup, all 4 corners.

Illmatic
11-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by autoexe

My fronts have long been overdue for replacement, and after many delays, they\'re finally done.

- Rotora slotted OE replacement rotors
- TechnaFit SS brake lines
- EBC GreenStuff front brake pads
- Motul DOT 5.1 brake fluid.

Braking performance is much improved*, and the SS brake lines firms up the pedal nicely. I\'m still getting used to the increased responsivenes of the brakes and re-adjusting my footwork for smooth heel/toe downshifting.

* Do bear in mind that my old rotors were warped, and pads glazed, so part of the improvement I experienced may have been accounted for by this fact.

Anyhow, onto the pics.

http://individual.utoronto.ca/cc_706/brakes1.jpg

http://individual.utoronto.ca/cc_706/brakes2.jpg

Mind if I ask how much the pads and rotors cost you? I\'m due for a rear brake job (pads and rotors) however I\'ve been waiting more than a month for Tires 23 to get in the EBC Greenstuffs! Since I work for Canadian Tire I\'ve been trying to see what is available through our PartSource stores but haven\'t been able to find anything yet. I think they can order them through DriverFX but I\'m not 100% sure. If I don\'t find anything soon I may be forced to go back to the OEM brand! :(

Anybody else have any suggestions on an easily obtainable rear pad and rotor setup?

///M
11-07-2005, 11:15 AM
If I recall correctly, the pads cost about $90 from Tires23 (rear pads should be cheaper at about $70), while the rotors were US$107 each (again, rear rotors should be slightly cheaper) from www.crossoverauto.com.

SourcE
11-07-2005, 11:56 AM
I was at Tires23 at the weekend and inquired about Greens, I believe they had some for our 3\'s.

Maybe ring\'em to see.

Moose
11-07-2005, 01:08 PM
Anybody else have any suggestions on an easily obtainable rear pad and rotor setup?

http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=4103

Illmatic
11-07-2005, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Moose

http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=4103

Thanks. I\'ve already been checking out that post but I thought some people may have feedback on applications they have used or checked out themselves. I have no idea about the performance of the products on that list (outside of the EBCs) but it does help!

Mayhem
12-06-2005, 12:12 PM
Hey Autoexe, when you ordered your rotora rotors, where did they ship from. What were customs and shipping charges like? My rotors are warped bad and I don\'t want to go OEM cause I figure I\'ll just have the same problem later.

Are there any other places to get rotora rotors in Canada?

kyfe
12-08-2005, 01:43 PM
Ok so EBC\'s are OOS everywhere
are they\'re any alternatives that are in stock now aside from OEM?

Optimzer
12-12-2005, 01:02 PM
ouch...this brake squeal thing is horrible. I have never seen it on any other car (e320, caravan, camry, protege, es330, 325, corolla...). now I back into my garage.

I think it may be especially loud in my case since i only drive 1-2x per week.

*ears still hurting*

MikeyGT
11-27-2007, 12:44 PM
has anyone confirmed this is a normal thing with the car or its a problem? like Optimzer said, I didn't notice this issue with any other car except my 3.

JonsMazda
11-27-2007, 12:55 PM
Its normal....happens to me also when i go reverse, esp. in the morning

MikeyGT
11-27-2007, 01:00 PM
awh boo its pretty annoying.. do you think slapping on some after market brake pads will help? i really don't notice it on any other car my family owns.

JonsMazda
11-27-2007, 01:26 PM
Yep, it'll help if ya change the pads to an aftermarket one....seen it somewhere on the board...