PDA

View Full Version : Gas draining

Kevin@nextmod
09-28-2005, 11:04 PM
Its been just over a week since i picked up my car and i\'ve found no problems but one. The car is really using up gas really quickly. 1 tank only lasted me just under 400km.

I just filled a full tank of gas yesterday and went 160 km and just passed quarter of the tank.

Any reasons why it\'s like that? Is it that the car is still new? It wo\'nt be me stepping on the car or flooring it because i still haven\'t break in the car yet. Still at roughly 690km

majic
09-28-2005, 11:24 PM
you must have a leak..

Kevin@nextmod
09-28-2005, 11:40 PM
are you kidding or serious?

fu00fu
09-28-2005, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Pearl_Hatch

are you kidding or serious?

a few things to consider for u..

1st off.. wen u fill up the tank.. do u stop wen it clicks at the pump.. or do u fill up til its almost leakin out.. if u stop after it clicks.. then u lose about 3-4L of capacity of the fuel tank.. so right away ur not goin to get as much km/tank..

2ndly.. wen do u go get gas.. wen the light first comes on? or do u wait a bit longer.. cuz the light wil come on... and it actually means there is still about 10L of gas remaining in the tank.. cuz its a warning setup.. so u can actually travel about 150km after the light first comes on..

so.. if u add that all up.. u have already lost close to 15L outta the 55L tank capacity.. and ur fillups are only 40L or so... to get 400km outta 40L.. is pretty norm.. especially for city and highway driving.. and if u turn on A/C then it goes down again..

since u just got the car.. u should just do a few tanks of gas to get an average.. and do it based on how many km each time vs how much gas u added at the pump..

for me.. i get anywhere from 10-14 km/L.. it all depends on condition of usage..

Kevin@nextmod
09-28-2005, 11:56 PM
Hmm....Wow good info. thanks for the tips really helped. I\'ll keep an eye on my tank and see how it goes after maybe 2 more tanks.

But *props* for the info
appreciated.

Kevin@nextmod
09-28-2005, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by fu00fu

1st off.. wen u fill up the tank.. do u stop wen it clicks at the pump.. or do u fill up til its almost leakin out.. if u stop after it clicks.. then u lose about 3-4L of capacity of the fuel tank.. so right away ur not goin to get as much km/tank..

One thing that i learned from skoo. (currently in automotive technician program) The fuels intructor said when you are filling up gas you are suppose to stop right after the first click. Continue to fill after the click is a bad habit ppl get into. So i usually just stop right after the first click.

SABIO
09-29-2005, 04:27 AM
or, if you read the fuel economy thread, you\'ll find that gas mileage generally sux. I don\'t get 500km out of a tank, and a few others are the same.

majic
09-29-2005, 09:57 AM
actually i take it back (the leak). maybe there are some gnomes that siphon the gas out at night, yah.. that\'s more plausible...

TheProfessor
09-29-2005, 10:01 AM
Dude, you\'re never, ever supposed to mention the gas-siphoning gnomes......that\'s it, you\'re in trouble now :D

akherad
09-29-2005, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Pearl_Hatch

Its been just over a week since i picked up my car and i\'ve found no problems but one. The car is really using up gas really quickly. 1 tank only lasted me just under 400km.

I just filled a full tank of gas yesterday and went 160 km and just passed quarter of the tank.

Any reasons why it\'s like that? Is it that the car is still new? It wo\'nt be me stepping on the car or flooring it because i still haven\'t break in the car yet. Still at roughly 690km

Well, I had my first re-fuling 3 dasy ago. It was 430 KM when I did it, and guess what? I just added 34 L before I hear the first click. (I always stop when I hear first click). So I assume that car has consumed 34 L for 430 KM which is actually good (Busy Highway / Busy City driving). By the way, maybe I have to mention that my car has a 2.0 engine. I have not used A/C frquently, just a few times. So to me it looks good (better than my previous car, 93 Toyota Camry V6) :D

Kevin@nextmod
09-29-2005, 02:44 PM
I do\'nt know then i guess it does make a difference between 2.0 and 2.3. My full tank got me 400km and not sure if it\'s good or bad. Some ppl tell me it\'s normal that the first 2-3 tanks finish fast. After the car have break in it\'ll get better. Thats what i heard. But tell me if that guy is on crack or not.

TheProfessor
09-29-2005, 02:46 PM
There are multiple \"fuel economy\" threads that you should check out.....all of the information you require has been posted more times than necessary already.

SABIO
09-29-2005, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Pearl_Hatch After the car have break in it\'ll get better.

That is what my dealer told me at 1000km, 3000km, 5000km, 8000km.... i just gave up.. this engine never breaks in

Kevin@nextmod
09-29-2005, 09:23 PM
So basically you suggest me to just go for the 1000km break in?

Optimzer
10-03-2005, 01:02 AM
I was looking out for a break-in and never noticed it - I got the same mileage from the first tank that I do now.

Mileage per tank is about 530km when the light comes on. I fill to the first click and don\'t keep putting in fuel. It works out to about 8.5L/100km (2.3L Auto). It\'s fairly consistent too.

whodilly
10-03-2005, 05:27 PM
How much gas are you actually filling at the pump when your light goes on? The fuel light is not really accurate.

I check my mileage by:
1. fill up
2. reset trip odo
3. drive
4. fill up
5. check how much gas/ mileage I got

tada!

At first I thought i was getting crappy mileage cause the fuel light would come on @ 450-500kms where some people were getting 550-600kms. But on closer inspection, I checked how much I was filling and it was only ~40-45L at the pump. So I\'m getting ~8L/100km which isn\'t too bad. Plus I rev the car pretty high and cruise on the hwy +120km/h so all in all it\'s ok.

SABIO
10-03-2005, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by whodilly

At first I thought i was getting crappy mileage cause the fuel light would come on @ 450-500kms where some people were getting 550-600kms. But on closer inspection, I checked how much I was filling and it was only ~40-45L at the pump. So I\'m getting ~8L/100km which isn\'t too bad. Plus I rev the car pretty high and cruise on the hwy +120km/h so all in all it\'s ok.

I would be happy if my fuel light would come on at 450km.... more like 380-400km.

Kevin@nextmod
10-03-2005, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by SABIO

Originally posted by whodilly

I would be happy if my fuel light would come on at 450km.... more like 380-400km.

Yea same here mine turned on at 395 today. And my last tank went on at 350 (maybe its the first tank of gas?)

Pogi
10-19-2005, 02:12 AM
Hmm interesting posts here...could it be the way you drive your cars which could explain the different gas consumptions? I know from myself that happens. The furthest i went with my car wsa 523km.

DY
10-19-2005, 09:42 PM
Hi guys,

I think I must be getting the best mileage here. I\'ve filled up twice already with my 2.0l manual. On avg, I fill up 37 litres (the needle at 1/4 mark) for 500km of travel. Extrapolating this result will see me drive more than 650 km on a full tank of gas easily. Well, granted that 80% of my travel is on the QEW, still it\'s a lot better than what some of you guys have.. hmm... at least it says that during the \'break-in\' period, you don\'t necessarily get bad mileage. I\'m at 1250 km now. I drive hard sometimes... but on the highway, it\'s smooth. U do the math.. hmm..

majic
10-19-2005, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by DY

Hi guys,

I think I must be getting the best mileage here. I\'ve filled up twice already with my 2.0l manual. On avg, I fill up 37 litres (the needle at 1/4 mark) for 500km of travel. Extrapolating this result will see me drive more than 650 km on a full tank of gas easily. Well, granted that 80% of my travel is on the QEW, still it\'s a lot better than what some of you guys have.. hmm... at least it says that during the \'break-in\' period, you don\'t necessarily get bad mileage. I\'m at 1250 km now. I drive hard sometimes... but on the highway, it\'s smooth. U do the math.. hmm..

http://www.milnet.com/pentagon/medals/PIM-Medal.gif

-RJ3-
10-20-2005, 12:25 AM
My guess its the fuel-pump...They replaced mine during my second service at no charge.

I did notice the problem you were receiving but it has not recurred ever since.

TheProfessor
10-20-2005, 08:42 AM
I just filled up my new \'06 last night for the first time....with 1/4 tank remaining I had done 498 km, which I have no problem with. What\'s even more promising is that I was not necessarily being \"gentle\" on the car as it\'s in the break in period, and according to my trip computer my average speed for the life of the car is 35km/h.....not exactly all highway driving! Actually, it is all highway driving, but all on the DVP which might as well be parking lot driving :sarc

I\'m gonna switch cars with the wife in a couple of weeks and see what kinda mileage I get in her \'05, but I suspect it\'ll be similar.

Illmatic
10-20-2005, 09:17 AM
I just filled up last night and I had around 1/4 tank or so left and about 460km on the trip odometer. Typically I get get 500-525 on a tank before the light comes on but it varies. Still cost me $36.00 and gas was damn cheap at $0.864/L.

Can\'t believe I\'m jumping for joy when gas is $0.864. The oil companies must be pointing and laughing...

SoopaBanana
10-20-2005, 09:27 AM
Hmmm... should I be worried that I\'m only getting 400km from a tank before the light turns on? Damn DVP... :(

TheProfessor
10-20-2005, 09:35 AM
I have a question for you guys....when you\'re driving around, what setting do you leave the vent selector at? If you leave it at either the feet or front defog the A/C will run (regardless of fan speed) and you\'ll get worse mileage. I leave it at the front vents (no feet or defog) all the time unless my feet are cold or I need to defog.

Also, how are your driving habits.....when do you shift, how often do you drive \"spirited\", etc.

I was likely gonna get 550-575km to my first tank, and if some of you are getting only 400 before the gas light comes on, there must be a reason.

Kevin@nextmod
10-20-2005, 08:09 PM
I just filled up my tank and the light came on at 350km..I did i few crazy driving with frds maybe thats why. I filled up my tank right after the light came on and found out there is still 10 litres inside.
So i guess my tank goes 450km + maybe 50km for the crazy driving i did...
I believe my tank should go 500km then if i do\'nt do those stupid driving again