PDA

View Full Version : Unichip

WingZero_
10-08-2005, 01:29 PM
I was watching Car and Driver today, it was about battle of the four bangers. But anyways saw a commercial for a product called Unichip. It seems to be an ECU add on, it seems some are plug and play, but the one for the Mazda 3 is hard wired. Anyways heres the page with the dyno chart on it.

http://www.unichip.us/vehicle_search_results1.asp?vehicleid=142&success= true

What do your guys think?

FLIPDADY
10-08-2005, 01:50 PM
Don\'t waste your money (http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=3045)

WingZero_
10-08-2005, 02:20 PM
Yeah I have seen that one from ebay before, and you can tell it is lame. But this one doesn\'t look like that at all or anything, but the explanation sounds just the same. Usually the car commercials during the car shows are for good things not scams.

MajesticBlueNTO
10-08-2005, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by WingZero_

Usually the car commercials during the car shows are for good things not scams.

have you not seen the commercials for the Tornado Air (http://www.tornadoair.com/) commercials during those car shows?

The Tornado Air is nothing but a scam, but advertising money will prevail in a case like that.

SABIO
10-08-2005, 09:24 PM
\"Completely stock gas vehicles gain 5-9% with a correctly tuned Unichip Map. Turbocharged cars, or vehicles with after-market engine performance modifications, can easily realize gains of 20-25% or more.\"

Wow, a 3 would gain 16+ HP... thats awsome for a little chip.....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Whatever...........................

WingZero_
10-08-2005, 10:43 PM
Naw haven\'t seen them advertise on tv, but saw them on ebay. To me those would restrict air flow, because they cover surface. Well thanks for the advice guys, I will add this to the list of crap along with that turbonator (basically a fan in your air hose) thingie, and the speed chip and the tornado.

dredd2099
10-09-2005, 10:37 PM
just an FYI

the one linked by mr wing_zero is legit (unichip)
the one in ebay is not

type in \'dastek unichip\' in google search and ull see

the matrix crowd had a gb for it 2gether with some of the celica ppl
it does work, thats the pro

the con?

* severely overpriced (for the trix, was bout US $675 gb price plus shipping ...provided w/ 2 base maps and 1 free \'reflash\')

* can only be \'tuned\' and/or \'reflashed\' by an authorized unichip dealer (there is no one in the GTA, not even in ontario... yea, i looked)

* the base maps are usually just for the usual mods (intake, exhaust), anything additional, ull need a custom map made for you

if u do go for a chip
do it after u do all of your performance mod
then tune

chips (piggyback or full stand alone) that can be programmed by any competent \'dyno tuner/shop\' is best ( ie, w/ greddy e-manage, camcon)
the unichip piggybacks to the stock ecu btw

mEtH
10-10-2005, 12:29 AM
Yah wasn\'t sure if it was this one or another. Then I was trying to think of the name of that company that makes those systems for you to be able to repgram your computer. Used highly on all the car mod shows on tv. Used more with trucks to pull out high torque numbers.

WingZero_
10-10-2005, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the information dredd2099. I looked for a shop that carried them around my location, cough New cough Brunswick, but find anything. You are right though, overpriced for sure. Do you know of what gains they would give you after someone had CAI and pro. Exhaust? Their darn dyno chart on their site is too tiny to tell.

dredd2099
10-10-2005, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by WingZero_

Thanks for the information dredd2099. I looked for a shop that carried them around my location, cough New cough Brunswick, but find anything. You are right though, overpriced for sure. Do you know of what gains they would give you after someone had CAI and pro. Exhaust? Their darn dyno chart on their site is too tiny to tell.

lol, did a half arsed canada wide search as well, zilch
gotta b in the states

as for gains, hard to tell
theres no Plug n play modules available for the 3 as of this writing
someones gotta be the guinea pig
contact a dealer \'nearest\' you and hope theres a 3 close by them willing to lend their car for it
heh, thats the hard part, finding a volunteer car

gl sir