PDA

View Full Version : AWR motor mount

Domokun
10-17-2005, 09:27 PM
I finally decided to buy the AWR motor mount since the stock one is like a noddle.

http://www.awrracing.com/store/images/products/mz3mnt.jpg
http://www.midwestcarclub.com/mazda/manual/esicont/en/srvc/html/images/B3E0110T061.png

This will replace the No.1 engine mount. I\'ll do a write up and post some videos/pics once I install it.

///M
10-18-2005, 10:20 PM
Yeah!!! We have a guinea pig! Let us know how it goes...I\'m interested in knowing if it causes interior vibration. Which one did you order? The stiffer race one, or the street one?

whodilly
10-18-2005, 10:36 PM
Cool, I\'d like to see how this improves launches! Also like to know how it affects vibrations in the cabin. I don\'t want my car to shake all the time! Mind you it\'s bad enough with the coilovers.

Domokun
10-19-2005, 02:59 AM
I ordered the 70 durometer (street). Race one will be too hard and according to AWR, there is interior resonance. Installation should be simple.

I hope this gets rid of that nasty pop/clunk/wheel hop/smoother 1-2 shift ..... ;)

billyfo
10-19-2005, 07:48 PM
yes, give us some review before my decision being finallized.

SABIO
10-20-2005, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by Domokun
I hope this gets rid of that nasty pop/clunk/wheel hop/smoother 1-2 shift ..... ;)

Learning how to shift would help...................;)

whodilly
10-20-2005, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by SABIO

Learning how to shift would help...................;)

But sometimes you just want to drop the clutch from 5000rpm
:D

Domokun
10-24-2005, 09:55 AM
Got a call from UPS this morning, should be getting the part this thursday ... plus getting hit with additional brokerage fee + PST ... those bastards! :(

whodilly
10-24-2005, 01:29 PM
That\'s brown for ya! How much is the part btw? can\'t be that much of a hit for duties

SABIO
10-24-2005, 05:15 PM
Got a call from UPS this morning, should be getting the part this thursday ... plus getting hit with additional brokerage fee + PST ... those bastards! :(

LOL... ya, Thursday... I remember my Thursday wait for UPS.... which turned into Friday... which turned into me having to go get it myself on the following monday... Good Luck;)

///M
10-24-2005, 07:38 PM
I hate Brown! The brokerage fee they charged me on my rotors was more than the actual tax that I had to pay. :(

Jetlag
10-26-2005, 06:08 PM
Where in the U.S. is AWR? Can anyone provide an address?

chaser
10-27-2005, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by mathuis
Where in the U.S. is AWR? Can anyone provide an address?

Search for the phone on AWR Racing (http://www.awrracing.com/awr.html) with Google, you\'ll get this (http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=760-598-9782&btnG=Google+Search&meta=) result. It should based in California.

Domokun
10-29-2005, 10:06 AM
Ok! Got it done last night. Installation was pretty straight forward.

1. Jack up the front of the car and put it on jack stands. The higher, the better.
2. Unbolt the 2 mount bolts using a breaker bar with a 17mm 1/2\" socket. Don\'t worry, the engine will not fall on you. This mount is not load bearing, it just prevents the engine from rocking back and forth. One bolt connects the mount to the subframe, the other to the engine.
3. Here\'s the tricky part. In order for you to have enought space to take the original mount you must push the engine forward on its pivot point enough so that the original mount can slide out. This can be achieved by using the sissors jack that comes with our car. Simply wedge it between the subframe and the bottom of the engine block. Only push enough so that original mount comes out, don\'t go overboard because this puts stress to the other 2 existing mounts.
4. Spray some WD40 on the original mount and slide it out. If it\'s tight, use a flat head screw driver and a hammer to bang it out.
5. Now that the original mount is out. Spray some WD40 on the new AWR mount and slide it into place. Align the mount and hand tighten the bolt to the subframe first.
6. Slowly release the jack to align the other half of the mount to the engine block. Hand tighten the bolt.
7. Release the jack entirely and torque both bolts.
8. Go for a slow test drive.

Pros:
- Instant response in accerlation and braking due to the reduction in driveline lashing. Hammer down and the 3 just goes.
- Gear shifts are much faster and easier
- No wheel hop
- No weird clunky noises/pops on rough roads
- The frontend feels tighter

Cons:
- The kit doesn\'t come with instructions!
- Vibration and interior drone. At 1000rpm to 2000rpm, holy sh!t there is a heck of a lot. I\'m wondering if this will eventually decrease as the mount is still new and will require brake-in period.

Final words:
I imagine this type of modification is not for everyone. Even at 70 durometer, the AWR mount is pretty harsh compared to the jellow-like stock mount. However, it does work and as one of my friends said, \"damn, it feels like a completely diff\'nt car now\".

Jetlag
10-30-2005, 08:16 PM
Good write up. Please keep us informed about the engine vibration in a few weeks once the mount has had an opprtunity to break in. I\'m going to the west coast in 3 weeks so I may pick one up.
thanks

Domokun
10-31-2005, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by whodilly

That\'s brown for ya! How much is the part btw? can\'t be that much of a hit for duties

The part was for $69 USD, UPS\'s COD charge was $42.21 CND :(

whodilly
10-31-2005, 02:24 PM
^^ holy crap +$40 for duties/brokerage... damn the government and brown!

Jetlag
11-06-2005, 12:23 AM
Just wondering how the cabin vaibrations have been since the installation of motor mount. Have they decreased at all? I know not much time has passed, but I\'m leaving for Cali soon and I\'m seriously considering one of these.

Domokun
11-07-2005, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by mathuis

Just wondering how the cabin vaibrations have been since the installation of motor mount. Have they decreased at all? I know not much time has passed, but I\'m leaving for Cali soon and I\'m seriously considering one of these.

The vibration has gone down and hopefully a little more as time passes. There is still a lot if you engage the clutch at 1000ish.. But if you do it higher and hold it longer, it almost feels like stock. I also find that to avoid crusing at that rpm range 1000-2000 also helps with the vibration. But interior noise is definately louder than it was before no matter what rpm the engine is at, you\'ll feel it in the steering wheel, the seat and the floor boards.

mogul_pro
02-14-2008, 02:55 PM
any further updates?

mEtH
02-14-2008, 03:15 PM
He sold off his car and moved to HK I believe... There are a couple mounts on the market not worth looking at.

REZXPERT
02-14-2008, 03:18 PM
The vibration has gone down and hopefully a little more as time passes. There is still a lot if you engage the clutch at 1000ish.. But if you do it higher and hold it longer, it almost feels like stock. I also find that to avoid crusing at that rpm range 1000-2000 also helps with the vibration. But interior noise is definately louder than it was before no matter what rpm the engine is at, you\'ll feel it in the steering wheel, the seat and the floor boards.

that's exactly how i'd describe my rear motor mount (StreetUnit), from install to now (approx 5000KM on it). still feel the vibration on the steering wheel at idle, but it's something i've grown used to. kinda like it to be honest.

rear motor mount replacement is underrrated but well worth every penny.

Videcak
02-14-2008, 11:21 PM
I picked up the TRZ Dogbone a few weeks ago, will install it in the spring when the car comes out of storage. Such a beefy mount.

doughboyr6
02-15-2008, 12:32 AM
i have a really long review of my experience with teh streetunit mount somewhere on this board...do a search for it.

REZXPERT
02-15-2008, 03:19 PM
i have a really long review of my experience with teh streetunit mount somewhere on this board...do a search for it.

too lazy to search for it but post the link if you don't mind. i had an experience too but i ain't posting it... not a StreetUnit issue, that's why

CanadaGTO
02-15-2008, 03:43 PM
http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=19481

REZXPERT
02-15-2008, 06:49 PM
http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=19481

thanks, Pat. (Pat, PM me if you're still contemplating the big turbo upgrade.
gotta run something by you. drop me a Cobb update if you have one.
thanks)

REZXPERT
02-15-2008, 06:52 PM
too lazy to search for it but post the link if you don't mind. i had an experience too but i ain't posting it... not a StreetUnit issue, that's why

yeah, i remember reading that thread now. nice write up, doughboy. i agree w/ u 100%