PDA

View Full Version : Will this fit??

firstmazda
11-14-2005, 12:24 PM
I have a set of Toyo Proxes FZ4 lying in my garage, left over from my Civic.

Anyways, I was wondering, can you guys tell me if this size tire
(205/40ZR17 84W) would fit on our 17\" alloys?
I think they still have another season or two in them so it\'ll
save me some coin if i can swap them onto these rims.

Thanks,
Ray

majic
11-14-2005, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by firstmazda

I have a set of Toyo Proxes FZ4 lying in my garage, left over from my Civic.

Anyways, I was wondering, can you guys tell me if this size tire
(205/40ZR17 84W) would fit on our 17\" alloys?
I think they still have another season or two in them so it\'ll
save me some coin if i can swap them onto these rims.

Thanks,
Ray

it won\'t \"fit\" as the tire requires a 7.0-8.0\" rim and ours is 6.5\" (IIRC) (you could probably squeeze it on but it\'s not recommended)

also your speedo will be 6.4% off and that\'s quite a bit.. if you can deal with it and you\'re tight with cash then it might be an alternative but the handling might be affected and definately your speedo will be too.. also, notice the load index is 84 vs 93 on the stock RS-As

so bottom line.. i would say NO :(

chaser
11-14-2005, 12:52 PM
I\'d worry the speedo offset & load index more than the width, as Majic pointed out.

Originally posted by majic
also, notice the load index is 84 vs 93 on the stock RS-As

I think the stock RS-A is 89V instead of 93V; we didn\'t get the re-inforced one :D

firstmazda
11-16-2005, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by majic

it won\'t \"fit\" as the tire requires a 7.0-8.0\" rim and ours is 6.5\" (IIRC) (you could probably squeeze it on but it\'s not recommended)

also your speedo will be 6.4% off and that\'s quite a bit.. if you can deal with it and you\'re tight with cash then it might be an alternative but the handling might be affected and definately your speedo will be too.. also, notice the load index is 84 vs 93 on the stock RS-As

so bottom line.. i would say NO :(

Originally posted by chaser
I\'d worry the speedo offset & load index more than the width, as Majic pointed out

I think the stock RS-A is 89V instead of 93V; we didn\'t get the re-inforced one :D

so i guess it\'s not a good idea huh? damn, oh well.

so when you guys say the speedo will be off by 6.4%, does that mean i\'m going
faster or slower than it says i am?

and with the load index, does it mean i have a good or greater chance of a blowout?

thanks,
Ray

majic
11-16-2005, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by firstmazda

so i guess it\'s not a good idea huh? damn, oh well.

so when you guys say the speedo will be off by 6.4%, does that mean i\'m going
faster or slower than it says i am?

and with the load index, does it mean i have a good or greater chance of a blowout?

thanks,
Ray

speedo says 60mph .. u\'r going 56mph

you\'re right 89 is the load index of our tire (as per manual).. goodyear shows 93 ohwell.. (http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodyeartireselector/results_vehicle.jsp?year=2005&make=MAZDA&model=Maz da3&option=s%2B2.3L%2B5Dr.&mrktgrp=Performance&ima ge.x=50&image.y=11)

83 -> 4300lbs
89 -> 5100lbs

car weight ~ 2900 lbs so technically you have room for 1400lbs of cargo/passengers.. i dunno.. i\'d pick something closer to 89.. (or above)

firstmazda
11-16-2005, 12:39 AM
hmmm....
so that\'s four 350lb passengers huh?

I dunno what to do? how unsafe do you guys think this is?
u think i could get away with it for one season?

WWJD?(maybe Fang knows?)

FLIPDADY
11-16-2005, 07:48 AM
According to Tirerack you can get away with this size on the factory rim. I\'d just be careful of bumps and potholes.

Tirerack (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp?width=205%2F&ratio=40&diameter=17&veh icleSearch=true&startIndex=0&search=true&pagelen=2 0&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&speed_rating=HR&speed_ratin g=VR&speed_rating=WR&speed_rating=YR&speed_rating= ZR&RunFlat=All&x=58&y=11)

nifty6
11-17-2005, 12:04 PM
This might help...... http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html