PDA

View Full Version : Flipspeed, The Biz, other Mazda employees

everfeb
11-15-2005, 05:35 PM
If you can give me some advice I would really appreciate it.
What would be the best way to approach dealer Service Advisors who SAY they don\'t know anything... haven\'t heard anything...about certain problems with the 3. (I have an Oct.03 built 3S and many of the TSBs in the States are applicable to me).

EG...My 2.3 ATX has, since I bot it in Dec03, this 1>2 \"shift shock\" \"harsh shift\" on cold start thing going on. I am quite worried about it. I had to go to ThunderBay the other day, on Nov9, so went to the Mazda dealer for an oil change. When there, I asked them if they knew anything about the new Software to \"fix\" it. They said \"No\". I\'m stymied. What can I say now. They say they know nothing. So off I go. No fix and madder than hell. How come I know about this \"fix\" and they don\'t?

My problem\'s are compounded by the fact I\'m 3hr one way to nearest dealer in Steinbach Man. and 3.5 to 4 hours to ThunderBay/Winnipeg dealers...so I can\'t just pop by every now and then. In addition, the dealership where I originally bot my 3 in Winnipeg has closed but they REALLY never knew anything anyway.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. How do advisors like to be approached. I\'m doing something wrong.

everfeb

malam
11-15-2005, 11:17 PM
You need a clone of Avante in your area ! It might be worth the drive to Richmondhill eh?

FLIPDADY
11-16-2005, 07:27 AM
Move to Ontario?:p(j/k)

All I can say is that bring your concerns to their attention and don\'t bring any printouts of TSB\'s or anything off the net. Remember your car is still under the 3 years/80,000km warranty. If they ignore your concerns all together then give Mazda Canada head office a call.

1-800-263-4680

everfeb
11-16-2005, 11:32 AM
Thanks
Malam...I AM considering it...1200 miles, 2000 km to get great service.

Flipspeed...I have noticed that whenever I mention to a service advisor I read about this or that problem on the \"net\" they tend to get their backs up against the wall. I don\'t know why. Do you?
I will try your suggestion. My current approach isn\'t getting me anywhere.

Does Mazda Canada actually issue TSBs, SSBs like they do in the States? The dealer I last went to said there is nothing for my 3 (2004 S GT ATX - built Oct03) except the airbag recall.

Thanks again.

everfeb

MajesticBlueNTO
11-16-2005, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by everfeb

Flipspeed...I have noticed that whenever I mention to a service advisor I read about this or that problem on the \"net\" they tend to get their backs up against the wall. I don\'t know why. Do you?

because you\'ve done their job for them...they know you\'re an informed consumer and they can\'t rip you off or tell you \"it\'s normal\" and have you leave with your tail tucked between your legs.

it\'s the same thing with calling up an IT Help Desk - i\'ll use Rogers Internet as an example - and telling them that you\'ve already done the diagnosis and found the issue.

Seriously though, there are steps that they have to go through in order to reach a point where they can say \"i think we found the problem\". Which is why you don\'t go into a dealership stating that you found a TSB for the problem you\'re having....sucks yes, but that\'s the way the cookie crumbles.

You have to tell them the problem, and they will do the diagnosis and see if there\'s a TSB match.

Originally posted by everfeb

Does Mazda Canada actually issue TSBs, SSBs like they do in the States? The dealer I last went to said there is nothing for my 3 (2004 S GT ATX - built Oct03) except the airbag recall.

Thanks again.

everfeb

yes TSBs are issued by the manufacturer and your dealer is lying to you by saying that \"nothing\" was issued.

One thing to remember as to why dealers would be hesitant to do proper diagnosis if you approach them with a USA TSB in hand, a dealer doesn\'t get paid right away for TSB work. They have to file a claim to be reimbursed by the manufacturer.

in your case, it might be wise to make the drive down the GTA to have either Mazda of Toronto, Avante Mazda, or Dave Wood Mazda look at your car.

everfeb
11-16-2005, 09:29 PM
Thanks MajesticBlueN...good points..got them. Wish I could get to one of those great GTA dealers but 1200 miles one way to get some software put in is not doable right now. I\'m just going to drive my 3 as little as possible. Eventually, I\'ll find out one of the 3 Winnipeg area dealers are able to do it.
Thanks very much
everfeb

DWMmotorsport
11-16-2005, 11:18 PM
The great thing about this board is it\" Canadian.. Club members can share Canadian problems and solutions... If one member has their car fixed they can share what was done with other members.
If a customer comes in with a concern that is covered under a bullitin we should be able to help.
When the TOprotege club was new there was and still is, alot of this sharing of information..
Personally I use these boards as a source of information rather than just a tool to self promote. (I know a couple of other dealers do the same thing) It helps use become aware of more customer concerns and try to find answers before some comes to us.
If a customer comes in with a problem and the correction for that problem ,it is actually making our job easier.
I personally would not mind if you came in with the bullitin.. Give the dealer time to verify the information.
I hope this helps.

majic
11-16-2005, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by DWMmotorsport

The great thing about this board is it\" Canadian.. Club members can share Canadian problems and solutions... If one member has their car fixed they can share what was done with other members.
If a customer comes in with a concern that is covered under a bullitin we should be able to help.
When the TOprotege club was new there was and still is, alot of this sharing of information..
Personally I use these boards as a source of information rather than just a tool to self promote. (I know a couple of other dealers do the same thing) It helps use become aware of more customer concerns and try to find answers before some comes to us.
If a customer comes in with a problem and the correction for that problem ,it is actually making our job easier.

too bad there\'s only a handful of dealerships like yours.. :( and we already know where to go and which ones to avoid like a plague :D

everfeb
11-18-2005, 04:46 PM
Thanks DWMmotorsport for your reply. Great attitude. I feel the day will soon be upon us that the dealers like yourself who use the \"net\" \"as a source of information\" to help become more aware of customer concerns and try to find answers are going to be the only dealers left standing-at least in highly populated areas.
The way information (some BS but usually good solid well thought out and informed) can now be disseminated on the \"net\" the dealers who treat us like idiots when we so much as dare to breathe the word \"internet\" are going to be in trouble. Dinosaurs with their heads in the sand. It\'s going to get harder and harder for dealers like this to trick us, fool us, play with us, misinform us and get away with it. Although I\'m not a car guy at all nor a knowledgeable computer person, thanks to forums like this (once I separate the wheat from the chaff) I know more about my MZ3 than I ever thought possible (or ever wanted to know LOL). And if I can learn like this, anyone with a computer and an internet connection can.
So DWM...thanks for your help and forward thinking.
everfeb

Jeff-TheBiz
11-23-2005, 01:13 AM
Not that I work in the service dept but I can understand how they might take it..

I guess the first thing an advisor might think when someone quotes a TSB# or talks about what they \'read on the net\' is \"well I am sure it doesn\'t apply to your vehicle.. you just think it does\". It helps them find the problem if you know the symptoms and the solution.. Like DWM said.

I guess the other issue is kind of a \"power of suggestion\" problem.

It is the \'car hypocrondriac\' that makes the process the hardest.. the person that reads that the Mazda5 has had recalls so they think their Mazda3 needs to be checked, I think you get my point.

In any event, knowledge is power.

everfab: you are absolutely right when you talk about Dinosaurs in the sand.. But please don\'t think they are all this \'old school\'..

just my 2 cents

irietek
12-18-2005, 11:25 AM
heh kind of funny I found this. Went in yesterday about a squeaky clutch pedal and they just lubricated it. They told me it was normal for some noise, but yet my friends who have the same cars and their cars are much older do not have this problem. So I asked him why my friends don\'t have the same problem and his reply was \"I don\'t know\", that is VERY SCARY TO TELL A CUSTOMER. Well, they lubricated it, the sound was much quieter until after 20 minutes of driving it was overpowering my music. I guess im going back.

Any suggestions why they do this type of work? It really, really, really puts me out of the way to go in and to get the problem half fixed. I paid for warranty and even if I didn\'t they should still do a PROPER assessment when I take my car in. It really hurts me as a customer too, I pay so much for the car, I paid for warranty, I am loyal (i go back to the dealer even though it\'s not closest dealer to me) and yet they do me this way.. .. :( I dunno, maybe i\'ll flip out on them next time. I GUESS BEING NICE GETS YOU NO WHERE.

sigh.

everfeb
01-31-2006, 07:48 PM
irietek...how are you making out with your squeaky clutch? Anything to add since your above post?

I don\'t know that \"flipping out\" will get you very good service down the road. My wife and I have had several businesses in the past...most recently a retail clothing business. We sold a lot of winter parkas up here in the Great White North. With parkas come broken zippers. I\'d guess 5% of zipper problems were due to defects and 95% were owner abuse. The people who got their problems taken care of first were the ones who were pleasant, friendly and appreciated that things took time. The ones who got their problems taken care of last (and sometimes-never) were the ones who came in screaming, flipping out and expecting their problem to be solved right now. So I think pleasant, patient persistence is the way to go.

If your \"friends\" had the same problems and their clutches were fixed...pass on to the service advisor how your \"friends\" problem was fixed.

I\'m just guessing here and stand to be corrected but I would think Mazda has a procedure for fixing squeaky clutches.
First they probably try lubrication and hope that fixes the problem. If it doesn\'t and the customer returns...they\'ll try step 2. If that doesn\'t fix it they go to #3 etc. It makes sense to me they would try to fix things in an orderly manner and that that they don\'t want to be ripping transmissions out or replacing clutches as the first thing they try just in case a lubrication fixes the problem. They likely know full well a lubrication won\'t fix the problem but it\'s what they have to do. And so, I guess, we have to play the game also, until our problem is hopefully solved.
So out of curiosity, how many of you guys and gals HAD squeaky clutches that were eventually fixed by a dealer?

everfeb