PDA

View Full Version : Comments of recently acquired snow tires

gigileung
11-30-2005, 12:02 AM
I just thought that since there has been a bit of snowfall in the past week, there be a centralized thread for people to comment on their snows. I know the Vikings are new this year, and also some varieties of Hankook. I\'ll start off first...

Hankook Ice Bear W300 205/55/16 from Tires23 the last week. Was originally going for the Vikings but they were out of stock. In the dry, there as quiet and maybe even more so than the stock tire, and in the wet and slushy conditions they feel more confident than the RS-A. Cornering performance is close to the RS-A with a little more roll but just as much grip. Steering feel is a little more numb, perhaps due to taller sidewall. In snow and ice they are excellent, with minimal slippage, and provide good contact for short stops. However, I presume that softer compound tires such as the Michelin X-Ice or Vikings will provide more adhesion in deep snow . All if all, an excellent snow tire, despite its lower price compared to European brands.

majic
11-30-2005, 12:07 AM
there\'s at least one (http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=1340) thread pm w300s and OTHER tires.. *sigh*

gigileung
11-30-2005, 12:55 PM
That was last year though...

civiclad
11-30-2005, 01:49 PM
It is worth the investment as the stock RSA\'s are not safe for winter driving.

Jetmech
12-04-2005, 12:11 AM
The vikings came in second according to Consumer reports but only in moderate winter conditions so if snow is deep I would think the icebears might be a little better. The vikings strength was dry/wet/handling and such. I have a pair mounted on my 6 and can attest to this. In the snow we had recently last 3 weeks they were ok and not as good as other winters I have used but have been great in every other aspect. Just have too drive accordingly. For the weather in the gta they should be great and the price could not be beat. I picked mine up from tires23 as well. The snow and ice rating for the viking was the same as the hankook w404 and kelly wintermark magna grip according to CR which I find surprizing.

MZR3
12-04-2005, 07:33 PM
I bought a set of Viking Snotech from Tire 23, very good and fast services...they had the tires mounted & balanced on steelies already before my arrival.

As for the tires, I haven\'t had a chance to \"plow\" them through deep snow yet, but they have been A LOT better that the OEMs in the wet snow conditions. My only complain is that there is a strange echoing noise coming from the front end since the new tires are installed. It sounded like the sound you get after bouncing a fully inflated basketball on a concret floor...checekd tire pressures and they are within spec. I wonder if it\'s the steelies that are amplifying the bounce noise.

Does anyone have any suggestion as to what may be the cause?:(

Jetmech
12-05-2005, 03:01 PM
I\'ve sent a few guys from work to tires23 and they all said the same thing that the prices were the best and believe me we called alot of retailers in the Gta. I used Toyo observe g-02 on my civic for the last two years and the vikings handle better in every aspect but snow. I think the farther north you live from downtown TO the more I would lean towards a more aggressive snow but for me these tires will be fine going to and from the airport from oakville. Certainly better than stock all seasons.

///M
12-05-2005, 03:28 PM
Because of this (http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=4474&page=1), I had to get new winters prematurely this year.

Pirelli W210 Sottozero, 205/50R17. They\'re rated as \"dual-season\" tires and are designed to be more capable than standard winter tires on cold, dry pavement - which is really what most of my driving is on.

Just got them installed this morning, so I have only done <50km on them. Initial impressions are good - this is a very quiet winter tire, tracks very straight grips well on the dry - very much like an UHP all-season.

Haven\'t used them in the snow yet - I\'ll post again when I get the chance to try them.

Also, haven\'t pushed them hard yet - I\'ll need to break them in first. From my experiences with my previous set of winters (Toyo Snowprox S-950), dry traction got a lot better after a few thousand km.

FLIPDADY
12-05-2005, 04:39 PM
Mazda Canada uses the Sottozero\'s for all their Mazda3 demos.

Simkins
12-05-2005, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by FLIPSPEED

Mazda Canada uses the Sottozero\'s for all their Mazda3 demos.

Then we must all go and buy them because Mazda Canada knows best (dumb twats).

///M
12-06-2005, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by autoexe

Because of this (http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=4474&page=1), I had to get new winters prematurely this year.

Pirelli W210 Sottozero, 205/50R17. They\'re rated as \"dual-season\" tires and are designed to be more capable than standard winter tires on cold, dry pavement - which is really what most of my driving is on.

Just got them installed this morning, so I have only done <50km on them. Initial impressions are good - this is a very quiet winter tire, tracks very straight grips well on the dry - very much like an UHP all-season.

Haven\'t used them in the snow yet - I\'ll post again when I get the chance to try them.

Also, haven\'t pushed them hard yet - I\'ll need to break them in first. From my experiences with my previous set of winters (Toyo Snowprox S-950), dry traction got a lot better after a few thousand km.

Added a pic if anyone\'s interested:
http://individual.utoronto.ca/cc_706/car/sottozero.jpg

BLKOUT
12-06-2005, 08:47 AM
I have the Viking Snowtech installed (Tires23) and must say that I am very pleased with them. The road noise is minimal and handling is not bad at all. I am comparing the niose and feel with my wife\'s W411, which are very loud and squishy in turns. I definately recommend the Vikings!

MZR3
12-09-2005, 02:08 PM
10cm of white powder stuff on the ground and Viking Snotech was able to handle them much better than the Goodyear RSAs. But I found although they are good, but in terms of getting through deep snow they are still lag behind the Toyo Observe X-10 I used to have of my old vdub. I felt that the Toyos were able to be handle turns butter than these Vikings. This is not a complain, but rather a personal experience comparison. :)

malam
12-09-2005, 06:57 PM
Decided to bite the bullet today and installed a set of Michelin X-Ice on Steel Rims. Got them from Sears at $826.00 installed. Do I have to keep my stock tires indoors ? Its going to be hard to find space for them in the basement, but I\'ve got lots of room in the shed outside.

I don\'t know how the X-ICE is going to do, just got them an hour a go and not much snow this evening. Any other member with the same set of tires with a feedback ?

Thanks.

Mica3SGT
12-09-2005, 10:08 PM
I LOVE WINTER......
snows on, traction OK, 16 days left before Christmas, Santa wants this black sleigh ...on blitzed, on comet, on lap dancer, go vixen, go dasher and prancer - it\'s time to let loose on the frozen north slush....zoomin\' in my steelie clad mazda3
http://img478.imageshack.us/img478/6113/roadwarrior0os.th.jpg (http://img478.imageshack.us/my.php?image=roadwarrior0os.jpg)

MaxRPM
12-10-2005, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by malam

Decided to bite the bullet today and installed a set of Michelin X-Ice on Steel Rims. Got them from Sears at $826.00 installed. Do I have to keep my stock tires indoors ? Its going to be hard to find space for them in the basement, but I\'ve got lots of room in the shed outside.

I don\'t know how the X-ICE is going to do, just got them an hour a go and not much snow this evening. Any other member with the same set of tires with a feedback ?

Thanks.

$826, with tax? What size? I bought mine at CT after calling around and they had the best price. Obviously I didn\'t call Sears. I got 205/55/16 on steelies for $1188 incl tax. Got them for the beater neon too but just tires.

The X-Ice are just as good as most AS on dry pavement, no squirm, good feel etc...just fine in the rain too. Hard packed snow and new snow they\'re good. Deep snow it struggles a bit but still gets through. Light slushy roads are fine but if it\'s heavy slush, there is almost no traction. Rather scary....

///M
12-10-2005, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by autoexe

* Bites well in the snow. A bit better than my old Toyos, which were good. Traction for acceleration and braking was excellent on thick, unplowed snow.

* Great on dry pavement. Took an offramp at 120km/h - no problems with squirming, sliding, and grip. At least 90%, if not as good as my summers. I love these tires.

I\'d like to see how they compare against the Dunlop Wintersport M3, Continental TS790, Michelin PA2 and Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22.

david3
12-10-2005, 12:37 PM
Dunlop M3s serve me well!

forswap
12-10-2005, 03:28 PM
I was able to test out Viking Snowtech yesterday. They are pretty quiet, and not as noisy as my stock. It handles well in slush and wet pavement.

Btw, can anybody tell me how much air pressure (PSI) should I maintain on the winter tires?

malam
12-10-2005, 10:04 PM
$826, with tax? What size? I bought mine at CT after calling around and they had the best price. Obviously I didn\'t call Sears. I got 205/55/16 on steelies for $1188 incl tax. Got them for the beater neon too but just tires.

The price was with taxes included. However, my size was diffiferent - I had 195/65/15.
From all the postings that I\'ve read here, it appears the different brands are able to hold their own and do a decent job.

The key is to drive with care - snow tires or not. The snow tires does not give you the liberty to drive as if its summer.

MajesticBlueNTO
12-11-2005, 12:25 AM

The key is to drive with care - snow tires or not. The snow tires does not give you the liberty to drive as if its summer.

good advice :)

but, if you\'re talking to MaxRPM, you\'re lecturing the wrong guy ;)

MaxRPM
12-11-2005, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by MajesticBlueN

good advice :)

but, if you\'re talking to MaxRPM, you\'re lecturing the wrong guy ;)

:D :zzz

MaxRPM
12-11-2005, 01:36 AM

The price was with taxes included. However, my size was diffiferent - I had 195/65/15.
From all the postings that I\'ve read here, it appears the different brands are able to hold their own and do a decent job.

Whew, I thought I over paid big time. I wish I was able to go to 15s...

SGT06
12-12-2005, 10:11 AM
I was able to test out Viking Snowtech yesterday. They are pretty quiet, and not as noisy as my stock. It handles well in slush and wet pavement.

Just got my 16\" vikings on steelies over the weekend. Thought it was a bit noisier than the goodyear stock. Felt very sturdy on snow.

Btw, can anybody tell me how much air pressure (PSI) should I maintain on the winter tires?

Does anyone know ? I am interested in the info too.

SGT06
12-12-2005, 10:19 AM

Crap..forgot the search function and majoogle going to blow again.

Found this thread on winter tire pressure.

http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=4306 (see here)

forswap
12-12-2005, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by SGT06

Crap..forgot the search function and majoogle going to blow again.

Found this thread on winter tire pressure.

http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=4306 (see here)

Hey SGT06, thanks. The search didnt find anything for me. ;D

First the shop set PSI to 30-31. But the steering felt too lose or shifting. Then I pumped it up to 35, it handled much better but it was nosier. Now I set it to 33 which I think it suits my driving the best.

SGT06
12-13-2005, 02:08 PM
Hey SGT06, thanks. The search didnt find anything for me. ;D

Lol..the search usually find \'too much\' for me. Will be testing the PSI as well..thx for the info on your experience.

xg3
12-16-2005, 04:07 AM
big snow storm tonite... and i have the w300...
and with the kenstyle skirts + lowered with h+tech.. front measure exactly 9.8cm clearance same with sides.

coming home with my front lip and lower grill stuffed with snow cuz it is plowing.
and on my streets i had to take a detour cuz some retard plowed 2 feets of snow in the intersaction but most places are higher than my lips.. i drove through every street with absolutely ZERO problem.

however, on my driveway with more snow, my wheels definitely dig into the snow.. at first it was hard to move.. but slowly and surely, i got into the garage in no more than 1min.. just gotta press the gas slowly to let it grip the thicker snow on the bottom.

in conclusion, i dun think these tires will let me get stuck in the snow.. as long as i dun run it into some deep holes by accident.

TheProfessor
12-16-2005, 08:15 AM
Well, although we didn\'t get as much snow as they \'forecast\' lastnight, it still gave my Viking\'s their first real test, and I have to say I was pleased. I never once felt as though I was losing grip, I was able to make turns on un-plowed streets with ease, and starts on slippery/icy sections of roads were also quite manageable. Pretty happy thus far considering how inexpensive these tires were.

FLIPDADY
12-16-2005, 11:48 AM
I love the fact that the KW19\'s I have are used for ice racing.:p Took me less than an hour to get home last night from Yonge and Steeles to Bathurst and Bloomington. Let\'s just say that there was a lot of pylons on Bathurst.

MaxRPM
12-16-2005, 11:49 AM
We should have a traction meet. Line up a bunch of our cars and see who can accelerate, stop, turn etc better. Invite Wheels and Motoring 2006....Would make for a fun day...

FLIPDADY
12-16-2005, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by MaxRPM

We should have a traction meet. Line up a bunch of our cars and see who can accelerate, stop, turn etc better. Invite Wheels and Motoring 2006....Would make for a fun day...
I\'m up for that.:D

MajesticBlueNTO
12-16-2005, 02:27 PM

I love the fact that the KW19\'s I have are used for ice racing.:p

when equipped with studs :p :D (since the KW19s are studdable)

FLIPDADY
12-16-2005, 03:15 PM

I know, I know, are the KW17\'s studdable too?

TheProfessor
12-16-2005, 03:17 PM

I know, I know, are the KW17\'s studdable too?

It should be quite easy to tell since there would be a bunch of small holes to mount the studs to. My old Nokians were studdable.....I\'d love to drive on studded tires in the snow to see how good the traction is.

FLIPDADY
12-16-2005, 03:20 PM
Okay I\'ll source the tire studs and let\'s get a group buy going.:p

Are they legal in Cananda?

TheProfessor
12-16-2005, 03:21 PM

Not sure about other provinces, but definately not in Southern Ontario.....very bad for the roads. They are legal \'on highways in Northern Ontario\'. I wonder what the ride is like on dry pavement with studded tires.

fourtrack78
12-16-2005, 03:31 PM
Nexen tires. No problems.

MajesticBlueNTO
12-16-2005, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by PSIVIC

Not sure about other provinces, but definately not in Southern Ontario.....very bad for the roads. They are legal \'on highways in Northern Ontario\'. I wonder what the ride is like on dry pavement with studded tires.

the new studs aren\'t bad for the road as when the law in Southern Ontario was put into effect. However, if a stud were to fly out at 140km/h on the 401.... http://www.fmvperformance.com/forum_items/Smileys/default/owneddance.gif :)

FLIPDADY
12-16-2005, 04:45 PM

the new studs aren\'t bad for the road as when the law in Southern Ontario was put into effect. However, if a stud were to fly out at 140km/h on the 401.... http://www.fmvperformance.com/forum_items/Smileys/default/owneddance.gif :)
That\'s okay more windshields to replace.:p

MZR3
12-17-2005, 10:45 AM
I love my Vikings!

During the last snow dump I was able to do over 60 clicks on somewhat plawed Kennedy from 401 all the way to hwy 7, passing slow moving retards (20 to 30 km/hr) with complete confidence. Drifting into turns and quickly recover with slightest steering adjustment...what a fun night to drive in GTA:p

DOH! double post!! sorry people...

SGT06
12-19-2005, 01:38 PM
I love my Vikings!

Couldn\'t agreed more. Took my 3 with the Vikings to Tremblant over the weekend and I was zoom zoom on snow covered road while everyone else is going half the speed limit. :D :D :D

Jeff-TheBiz
12-19-2005, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by SGT06

I love my Vikings!

Couldn\'t agreed more. Took my 3 with the Vikings to Tremblant over the weekend and I was zoom zoom on snow covered road while everyone else is going half the speed limit. :D :D :D

^ +1

I bought me winters second hand from a client that traded in his mz3 for a mz6 (no it wasn\'t \'Daddy\') but I have to say these tires are better than I expected.

SGT06
12-20-2005, 01:23 PM
Sure hope the Continental sales people are not reading these plugs. They might jack up the price of the Vikings too quickly. ;)

cookie
12-26-2005, 03:11 PM
Do you know where I can get some used winter tires? These all seasons suck. Survived last winter but I don\'t want to risk it this year. Gosh, I hope it won\'t be a snowy winter =(.

KenYork
12-27-2005, 01:50 AM
hey Cookie. This is Pat. how much are you looking to spend?

cookie
12-28-2005, 07:53 PM
Patrick? Which one? Wesley\'s daddy?

Well, cheap as possible since I\'m a poor student. Brand new tires are like what..$600? What\'s the cheapest I can get? So far I\'ve been lucky. I didn\'t need to drive on the snowy days we\'ve had. Did you get winter tires this year???

Rollout-G
12-28-2005, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by cookie

Patrick? Which one? Wesley\'s daddy?

Well, cheap as possible since I\'m a poor student. Brand new tires are like what..$600? What\'s the cheapest I can get? So far I\'ve been lucky. I didn\'t need to drive on the snowy days we\'ve had. Did you get winter tires this year???

If you\'re not looking for rims, you can spend about 400 bucks (plus taxes of course) at Walmart on Dunlop Graspic DS1\'s. Old tire, but I can tell you from first hand experience that they\'ve served my family well on our previous vehicles.

RG

KenYork
12-29-2005, 07:22 AM
yep Wesley\'s dad. Well you have a GT model so brand new tires only would be about $600. i\'d have to search around for you. i\'ll call you if i find some.

rsquared
02-06-2006, 10:54 AM
Finally got to put my Semperit Ice Grip 2 winter tires to the test this past weekend. I drove from Toronto-Michigan and back.

On the way there, there was heavy wet snow, resulting in a lot of slush. At first I was going my usual 120-130 km rate, but after sliding a bit, I slowed down big time. With the exception of the tire track, basically all the highway lanes were full of slush, making for very difficult driving conditions. Changing lanes was a big pain, as the slush in the lanes made it very hard to change lanes smoothly. Slush was flying everywhere, especially from big trucks passing by. I decided to be safe, and stayed in the right lane, going about 70-80 km per hour. Over a 100km span on the 401/402, I saw about 6-7 cars which had spun out of control and smashed into the median in the middle of the highway, yikes! Lesson learned: regardless of the tires you have, you have to use your head in slushy weather conditions!

On the way back, it was snowing and very windy, so visibility was poor at times. However, traction wise, the tires were simply amazing. Even with all the snow and blowing snow all around, I felt like I was on dry pavement. I was able to go about 120-140 without any problems whatsoever. I love these tires and I\'m so glad I picked them up in time.