PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Plus @ CT

Martian
12-13-2005, 06:24 PM
Vendor: Windshield Plus in the parking lot of Canadian Tire @ Silver Linden / Hwy 7

I was driving on the QEW, minding my own business, when a rock decided to pay a visit and leave it\'s mark - a small chip and a crack about 6mm in the lower corner of the windshield. After reading stories on this forum about Mazda glass and how small cracks have a tendancy to explode into huge ones fast and furiously, I decided to try out the windshield chip repair place that a few members here have talked about.

After agreeing to the $60 fee to get the chip/crack repaird, Hashim, who says he\'s been in the business for 9 years, started the repair. All was going well - Hashim drilled out the chip, applied the resin and then put the contraption on to suck the air out of the crack. We were talking for a few minutes when all of a sudden, I hear this *crack*. Uh oh. So I look over, and see that what was once a 6mm crack has decided to grow into a 10\" long one. :( I guess this cold snap we currenly have didn\'t help at all.

The good news is that Hashim is an upstanding guy, and offered to replace my windshield for a new one with rain sensor for free. They agreed that they would pay the deductable from the insurance claim and after double checking that the claim would not affect my premiums, I told him to go ahead.

Went back this morning, and met Alex, their windshield installer. Another friendly guy, who to my untrained eye did a careful and great job of taking out the old and putting in the new glass. The installation took about 90 mins and now I have to baby my car until the goop they used to seal it sets. It\'s like driving a new car again - the view is spotless and like it\'s not even there!

Overall, they took responsibility for their work, and were happy to make it right when things went wrong.

Now I\'ll have to see if it\'s a watertight seal when I bring it to the carwash next week.

DY
12-13-2005, 08:10 PM
Cool martian. So it was a blessing in disguise that the crack developed into 10\".
Just wondering how much did they charge for the whole job? cause they might still be making money off your insurance company anyways. :D

Martian
12-14-2005, 12:36 AM
I don\'t know how much they charged the insurance co, but my deductable was $500 which they covered. I\'m sure the insurance co. knows how much a new windshield+install normally costs vs. what they\'re getting billed for to prevent getting fleeced by the unreputable shops.

Saphress
12-14-2005, 01:00 AM
because they did it through insurance... they\'re still makin money on it. it you think bout it... my friend got hers replaced at Mazda where the charged her roughly a whopping $800... I calle around getting quotes... and got it down to $500.,.. so from mazda canada I can only assume that the windshield to the installer shop is about $300-400. With that in mind, if the guy charges roughly 700-800 like the dealers do.... and they pay out your deductable.... $500.... still may cover the windshield... or lose a small amount of cash...

just my assumption.

I got an aftermarket windshield for $240 after taxes... Still giving it some time to see how it goes... but I lost all my sensors :(

Caz
12-14-2005, 08:36 AM
The claim will not affect your premiums, however you will still have a claim on your record. You don\'t want to have too many claims on record as that could affect the renewal of your policy or your rate if you decide to shop arround for a new insurance company.

I just went threw this while adding my wife to my policy.

Optimzer
12-14-2005, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Saphress

I got an aftermarket windshield for $240 after taxes... Still giving it some time to see how it goes... but I lost all my sensors :(

yeah the aftermarket ones are cheap but losing the rain sensor would suck! :(

How do you make it through the days? :D

Martian
12-14-2005, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Caz
The claim will not affect your premiums, however you will still have a claim on your record. You don\'t want to have too many claims on record as that could affect the renewal of your policy or your rate if you decide to shop arround for a new insurance company.

That\'s what the insurance co. told me as well - I\'ll just have to be picky about what I claim and what I\'ll pay out of pocket.

TheProfessor
12-15-2005, 07:53 AM
Wouldn\'t Windshield Plus have their own insurance policy to cover things like this? I wouldn\'t want it running through my insurance if it wasn\'t my fault.

Cyrix
12-21-2005, 06:20 PM
Hey Martian, is (416) 803 - 7140 the number for these guys? i wanna get a quote for myself, if these guys put customer service before $$$ - then i wanna know about them!

thanks

Mica3SGT
12-21-2005, 06:49 PM
Windsheild Plus at CTC did one of my vehicles a few years ago and they did an excellent job repairing a chip in the glass. I\'ll definitely seek them out again if the need arises.
Thanks for the post!;)

Martian
12-21-2005, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Cyrix

Hey Martian, is (416) 803 - 7140 the number for these guys? i wanna get a quote for myself, if these guys put customer service before $$$ - then i wanna know about them!

thanks

Yep - that\'s them.

Martian
12-21-2005, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by PSIVIC

Wouldn\'t Windshield Plus have their own insurance policy to cover things like this? I wouldn\'t want it running through my insurance if it wasn\'t my fault.

Yeah - thought about that after the fact. Oh well, too late now and hopefully there\'s no next time