PDA

View Full Version : Wiring harness colours

McGuyver_3
12-16-2005, 04:04 PM
Hi everybody,
I have a aftermarket deck installed on my mazda 3 gx. But sadly i have lost all control over my steering wheel mounted controls because they only work on the stock radio. I purchased a swix to resolve my problem

SWIX (http://cgi.ebay.ca/PAC-SWI-X-STEERING-WHEEL-AUDIO-INFRARED-INTERFACE-SWIX_W0QQitemZ5843219987QQcategoryZ12040QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

But every time i try to program it it wont work properly. My audio installer that i take the car to says that i do not have the correct data cable to get it to work. I am aware of the rest of the wiring (speakers, power ground etc etc)

But in order to get my swix to work I need to know which wires are meant for the steeringwheel controls and which wire does what so i can be able to hook it up properly.
Does anybody know what wire i have to use in order to get this system to work?

Thanx alot in advance

eguiyab
12-16-2005, 08:03 PM
I too have the SWI-X

It comes, or should come with a direction booklet with all the color codes and where to tap into.
If not I believe that you can check their website. You have to aim the remote of your aftermarket deck to the SWI-X unit and get a button on the steering wheel to mimic that function, in order to set it up.

As far as I can tell, all the SWI-X does is copys the IR message that is sent from the after market remote. I hope this makes sense.

McGuyver_3
12-17-2005, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by eguiyab

I too have the SWI-X

It comes, or should come with a direction booklet with all the color codes and where to tap into.
If not I believe that you can check their website. You have to aim the remote of your aftermarket deck to the SWI-X unit and get a button on the steering wheel to mimic that function, in order to set it up.

As far as I can tell, all the SWI-X does is copys the IR message that is sent from the after market remote. I hope this makes sense.

Yes this makes perfect sense but in the booklet it says to use the black grey wire which on my connector is the speaker wire. Has yours been installed yet? or are you still wiating to get it installed? If it is installed did u use the white wire from the swix? If it is installed could you tell me what wire u used to hook it up with?
thanks in advanced

Daniel

eguiyab
12-17-2005, 03:10 PM
Yup. I\'ve had mine install for more than a year now with no problems. I did the install myself and took about 30 mins. Just followed the instructions in the booklet.
At present I dont recall the exact details, but I do recall using a white wire.
Im at work all weekend so I wont be able to pull the unit to double check, but if you gimme a few days I\'ll see what I can dig up for you.

McGuyver_3
12-17-2005, 10:58 PM
That would be really great. Currently i have the brown/yellow wire hooked up with the white wire from the swix. The red wire from swix on 12volt switched on the aftermarket harness and black from swix on ground with the aftermarket harness. But my biggest problem is the programming. When set for version 3 (ir extended mode) it is supposed to work but the left light comes on i hold the volume up button and the light turns off then i release volume up and the right led is supposed to come on but it doesnt. Could that mean i have the wrong wire? Thanks so much for the info greatly appreciated.

eguiyab
12-19-2005, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by my_mazda3

That would be really great. Currently i have the brown/yellow wire hooked up with the white wire from the swix. The red wire from swix on 12volt switched on the aftermarket harness and black from swix on ground with the aftermarket harness. But my biggest problem is the programming. When set for version 3 (ir extended mode) it is supposed to work but the left light comes on i hold the volume up button and the light turns off then i release volume up and the right led is supposed to come on but it doesnt. Could that mean i have the wrong wire? Thanks so much for the info greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the delay. I\'ve been a night shift the past few days.

So far it sounds like its hook up okay. Yes the programming can get a bit tricky. I myself went through it a few times. When i get a chance, most likely tommorow, I will see where my white wire connects too.

Ensure that the IR diode is aimed well at your deck. Lemme see if I can find my old booklet. I know i had some notes i wrote on it.

eguiyab
12-19-2005, 08:11 PM
By the way. Which pin connector do we have?? M or N???
I would just double check that when you tap into which ever Pin you need to tap into is the correct number.

I would tap into the pin on the factory side of the harness as opposed to the aftermarket side.

McGuyver_3
12-19-2005, 08:59 PM
Our 3 has the 24 pin connector and if i remember correctly it should be the N connector(dont have the instructions handy right now but i will get back to you on that) But for sure the 24 pin connection.
Yes i had tapped in to the factory wiring at first but then i read some reveiws and alot of people hooked them up to the aftermarket side as apposed to the factory wiring. Also on the online instructions fro pacaudio.com they also say to hook it up to the aftermarket harness. Thanks in advanced

McGuyver_3
12-19-2005, 09:03 PM
I checked and made sure that i have the right pin almost like 20 times and it gets so annoying having to constantly reset all the radio setting lol. But thats ok when everything works it will be worthwhile. By the way where did you mount your led light? did u have to extend it?

eguiyab
12-20-2005, 05:02 PM
Hey My_Mazda3

So I had some time and took my dash apart to see what goes on back behind the deck. So lets see if we\'re on track

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b354/eguiyab/TechCentre.jpg

Here\'s my dash overall... or rather my TechCentre

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b354/eguiyab/SWI-XMODULE.jpg

Where I mounted the SWI-X unit. Near to the Shifter, that way the IR line is long enough to reach the back of the arm rest without any need of an Extender. The white/red/ground wires are more than long enough to get up to you deck.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b354/eguiyab/WireRun.jpg

The Red, White and Ground wire running up the back behind the ashtray area up to the deck

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b354/eguiyab/Diode.jpg

The IR Diode.. just above the handbrake

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b354/eguiyab/DiodeBack.jpg

That is the Back of the Cupholder section where the diode is installed. Now you will want to install it as high as you can get, however when you replace the cupholder section the back line of the diode will kinda get crushed between the cupholder and its mounts. It works fine.. but you wanna make sure that you dont crush it to the point where the diode line is snaped off.
The only reason it is not placed over the area where the cups are is because I often have a LARGE cup in the holder, thus blocking the path.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b354/eguiyab/HarnessBig.jpg

Okay this is the birds nest of wires behind the deck. All my splices are on the Factory side of the wiring. The ground tap is not visible here. To be honest I do not recall how I grounded the Unit.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b354/eguiyab/WireTapBig.jpg

The white line tap.

As far as you describe to me, it looks like yours should be set up okay. Compare and let me know.
If its all the same then it just comes down the how your programing it. Go very slow and double check.

Lemme know how it goes.

eguiyab
12-20-2005, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by my_mazda3

But my biggest problem is the programming. When set for version 3 (ir extended mode) it is supposed to work but the left light comes on i hold the volume up button and the light turns off then i release volume up and the right led is supposed to come on but it doesnt.

I was on the PAC website and everything you described to me so far sounds on track.
My only suggestion is make sure you make the time limits and that you are in Extended mode 3. Otherwise im kinda stumpped. From what I can read its a 7 second time window. So its gonna be really fast.. i know i missed it a few times. Keep me updated.

McGuyver_3
12-20-2005, 10:33 PM
Wow thanks for the step by step instructions on this one. I hope i have some time either tomorro or thursday to get craking on this one. I am leaving on vacation soon to so i wont be able to do anything over the christmas break. But i will see if i have time tomoro or thursday i will deffinatly let u know how it went out.

McGuyver_3
12-20-2005, 10:41 PM
C:\\Documents and Settings\\unknown\\Desktop

McGuyver_3
12-20-2005, 10:47 PM
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/bmw_racing/untitled.jpg

Is that the ground wire were im pointing at?

McGuyver_3
12-20-2005, 10:48 PM
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/bmw_racing/untitled.jpg

Last try

McGuyver_3
12-20-2005, 10:49 PM
aaaaa why is it so small?

eguiyab
12-20-2005, 11:38 PM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b354/eguiyab/HarnessBig2.jpg

Its okay.

I think I see what you are pointing at. In that pic it is not clear at all. In that pic it looks like the thick black/green line is spliced in with the thin white/black line and also the black ground from the SWI-X.

At one point I had a line out converter installed, and tapped into both the +/- lines in the front channels. When i ditched the LOC, I left the taps.

According to a post on the Mazda3forum by Vaboom, the white/black line is the left front + terminal. The thick black/green wire is the chassis ground. Tap the ground into the thick black/green line, it only makes sense. But to make sure ill double check.

McGuyver_3
12-21-2005, 11:41 PM
OOO ok that sounds logical but i wont be able to do anything on thursday i am way to busy on getting ready to leave. To many loose ends to tie up. I will deffinatly get back to you when i get back from vacation. But for now i really appreciate your help. No rush at all on getting those wires rechecked.

McGuyver_3
01-13-2006, 04:26 PM
Hello again Im back from my vacation and doing well. I have used the wires that you informed me to use but have 1 problem the swi-X wont let itself be programed now. Everytime i hit the mode button the lights wont turn on and nothing. But when i put the key on the on position it will blink the version number (in my case 3) i have tried everything and am comming to a point of major frustration where i am willing to pay someone to install it for me. Do you have any other ideas of what i might be doing wrong before i hand this over to someone else to do? Would it in any way be possible that u could have a look at it sometime on a weekend?
Thanks in advanced

eguiyab
01-14-2006, 12:04 AM
Hey,

Stumbled across this one again. Hope you had a good Vacation. Try disconnecting it from all power and ground sources for a while. This should reset the memory then try to reprogram it afterwards. Should be okay. If anything PM me and if I got some free time maybe I can help you figure it out.

Eman

McGuyver_3
01-14-2006, 05:10 PM
Yes i did have a good vacationit was nice and warm every day a little awkward celebrating new years in plus 30 degres though. I actually did have the wires disconected for the 2 weeks that i was away except for the white wire because i saughtered that one in on day 1. But i will give that another try and see what happens. Should i also disconect the white wire?

McGuyver_3
01-19-2006, 02:47 PM
I tried everything from ato z and still cant get it to work. Is there any possibility that we could meet some time in the future so you could check it out? If not thats ok ill take it to my installer and let him deal with it. best regards

Daniel

eguiyab
01-20-2006, 09:25 AM
PM me sometime and lets see what we can do.
If I got some free time I definetly dont mind. Gimme a shout.

McGuyver_3
01-21-2006, 02:17 PM
pmd