PDA

View Full Version : cruising speed on winters

firstmazda
12-20-2005, 12:53 PM
Just wondering,
on a frigid but DRY winter day when there\'s no ice or anyting on the roads
what speed do you guys cruise at?
i know it\'ll wear your tires quick if you go too fast but is there
anything different with winters that will compromise saftey?

when it\'s dry out, i often forget i\'m on winters \'cause the traction is sooo
much better than my RS-As (some of you might\'ve seen my pics (\"http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=4454\") :p )
and i find myself cruising at 140ish.

Ray

MajesticBlueNTO
12-20-2005, 01:02 PM
188km/h...damn limiter

FLIPDADY
12-20-2005, 01:05 PM
If I\'m in a hurry between 120 to 140.

For some reason I get sh***y gas mileage.:D

SGT06
12-20-2005, 01:18 PM
cruising at 140ish.

I did 140ish on snow covered road and it felt fine.:)

188km/h...damn limiter

I still haven\'t figured out why they put the limiter on the 3. Doesn\'t it make the car more expensive ? :sarc

FLIPDADY
12-20-2005, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by SGT06
I still haven\'t figured out why they put the limiter on the 3. Doesn\'t it make the car more expensive ? :sarc

Makes the car more dangerous too.

wtom
12-29-2005, 10:51 AM
On dry, clear roads I will drive as if it was summer. Kumho KW17 on black steelies. On the highway, same thing. Try to stay off the 407 when you\'re on winters.

majic
12-29-2005, 10:56 AM
hakka 2 on an accord 205kph :)

mypatpat
12-29-2005, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by wtom

On dry, clear roads I will drive as if it was summer. Kumho KW17 on black steelies. On the highway, same thing. Try to stay off the 407 when you\'re on winters.

Whats wrong with driving on 407 on winters? Something with the road?

billyfo
12-29-2005, 12:34 PM
most part or may be whole part of 407 is using concrete, your winters won\'t last long.

wtom
12-29-2005, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by mypatpat

Nothing wrong with driving on the 407, just that snow tires tend to wear down a bit quicker if you frequent the 407 with them on. The ETR is made of concrete; much harder material than your normal asphalt road. In addition to this harder material, the surface is not smooth, for traction purposes, but it \"eats\" away at the softer snow tires quicker than normal.

MajesticBlueNTO
12-29-2005, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by mypatpat

Nothing wrong with driving on the 407, just that snow tires tend to wear down a bit quicker if you frequent the 407 with them on. The ETR is made of concrete; much harder material than your normal asphalt road. In addition to this harder material, the surface is not smooth, for traction purposes, but it \"eats\" away at the softer snow tires quicker than normal.

Left pic = ~24,000km, >90% of that on the 407
Right pic = ~5,000 or 8,000km mostly city

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/337000-337999/337094_79_full.jpg

gigileung
12-29-2005, 01:41 PM
I think that 204kph should be only tried on a track.

Broli
12-29-2005, 04:30 PM
my best on the winters has been like 170

but i tend to keep it at 140ish for cruising speeds,

FLIPDADY
12-29-2005, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Broli

So you\'re the f****r who cut me off yesterday!

J/K - It was some ****face in an RX-8.

Junior
12-29-2005, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by MajesticBlueN

188km/h...damn limiter

make sure your snows are rated to cruise at them high speeds. :sarc

MajesticBlueNTO
12-29-2005, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Junior

188km/h...damn limiter

H-speed rated to 210km/h :p

Junior
12-29-2005, 11:10 PM

188km/h...damn limiter

H-speed rated to 210km/h :p

yeah, that\'s good if you have a H rated tire.

I should point out that tires such as the Kumho KW19 are T rated (190km/h). IMO, I wouldn\'t want to be pushing the limits.

Broli
12-30-2005, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by FLIPSPEED

Originally posted by Broli

So you\'re the f****r who cut me off yesterday!

J/K - It was some ****face in an RX-8.

that bastard got me too!

lol
:p

jdanielsg
12-31-2005, 01:23 AM
how do I know if my Nokian AWR r V or H rated? I asked for V but... who knows..

Junior
12-31-2005, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by jdanielsg

size?

jdanielsg
12-31-2005, 09:43 AM

size?

16\"s same as stock tire size.. anways I looked at the receipt it says 94V under description...... but how do I verify that

MajesticBlueNTO
12-31-2005, 09:59 AM

size?

16\"s same as stock tire size.. anways I looked at the receipt it says 94V under description...... but how do I verify that

check the sidewall...it will say the load index and speed rating next to the tire size

jdanielsg
01-04-2006, 10:28 PM

size?

check the sidewall...it will say the load index and speed rating next to the tire size

oh yeah if you guys didnt see me mention it somewhere the bloody tire blew on me....flung the car all over the place so much for Nokian.. I wonder if I should be going back to the same brand again? after they fix the 10K damage

billyfo
01-05-2006, 10:01 AM
don\'t blame the tires, I used my Nokian for 5yrs and nothing happen. You seem like the ones from FireStone/Ford Explorer case, blame every other ones but yourself. Like OPPs always say, drive safe and adjust speed whenever the weather/road condition has changed

jdanielsg
01-05-2006, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by billyfo

don\'t blame the tires, I used my Nokian for 5yrs and nothing happen. You seem like the ones from FireStone/Ford Explorer case, blame every other ones but yourself. Like OPPs always say, drive safe and adjust speed whenever the weather/road condition has changed

EXCUSE ME? Tires blew and its my fault? R u dense? or trying to flame btw I wasnt speeding or anything and speed has nothing much got to do with tires blowing

RedRaptor
01-05-2006, 01:33 PM

EXCUSE ME? Tires blew and its my fault? R u dense? or trying to flame btw I wasnt speeding or anything and speed has nothing much got to do with tires blowing

I\'ve said this before...and I\'ll say it again. You\'re an idiot. But I don\'t believe in stepping on cockroaches in life, so I\'ll just leave it at that.

jdanielsg
01-05-2006, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by RedRaptor

I\'ve said this before...and I\'ll say it again. You\'re an idiot. But I don\'t believe in stepping on cockroaches in life, so I\'ll just leave it at that.

n you r a loser who has nothign else better to do. Get a life.

Junior
01-05-2006, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by billyfo don\'t blame the tires, I used my Nokian for 5yrs and nothing happen. You seem like the ones from FireStone/Ford Explorer case, blame every other ones but yourself. Like OPPs always say, drive safe and adjust speed whenever the weather/road condition has changed EXCUSE ME? Tires blew and its my fault? R u dense? or trying to flame btw I wasnt speeding or anything and speed has nothing much got to do with tires blowing

those are some pretty harsh words. agreed that billyfool shouldn\'t say \"don\'t blame the tires\".. but that comeback was pretty lashed out.

No matter what.... The tires blew! Who give a hoot, how long you\'ve had the tires..... if the tires blow crusiing at normal speeds... there many factors to consider (ie: tire pressure, road conditions, driver error, humdity, barometric pressure) ... :sarc

gimme a break.. the trie blew, cause it\'s the \"tire\'s fault\"... there, I said it!

too funny

billyfo
01-05-2006, 04:02 PM

flung the car all over the place so much for Nokian.. I wonder if I should be going back to the same brand again? after they fix the 10K damage

isn\'t it what you sad????

jdanielsg
01-05-2006, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by billyfo don\'t blame the tires, I used my Nokian for 5yrs and nothing happen. You seem like the ones from FireStone/Ford Explorer case, blame every other ones but yourself. Like OPPs always say, drive safe and adjust speed whenever the weather/road condition has changed EXCUSE ME? Tires blew and its my fault? R u dense? or trying to flame btw I wasnt speeding or anything and speed has nothing much got to do with tires blowing

those are some pretty harsh words. agreed that billyfool shouldn\'t say \"don\'t blame the tires\".. but that comeback was pretty lashed out.

No matter what.... The tires blew! Who give a hoot, how long you\'ve had the tires..... if the tires blow crusiing at normal speeds... there many factors to consider (ie: tire pressure, road conditions, driver error, humdity, barometric pressure) ... :sarc

gimme a break.. the trie blew, cause it\'s the \"tire\'s fault\"... there, I said it!

too funny

junior i am sick of people bitching at my post and trying to find every opportunity to diss me...if they wanna say something have something constructive right? I was going normal speed same as everyone else.... the tire pressure should have been right because I sent it in the friday prior.. this happened monday... to the dealer n they had checked it.... I didnt do anything special so other than possible runing over something that might have cut the tire on the road and it blew, but then how you gonna avoid that unless its obvious...so I really have no clue..I am bringing them in to the tire place to get them replaced nokian has a 1 year replacement policy, apparently through this shop anyways... So they will replace any tire damage within a year. After that I assume they go by thread depth....

wtom
01-05-2006, 08:54 PM

oh yeah if you guys didnt see me mention it somewhere the bloody tire blew on me....flung the car all over the place so much for Nokian.. I wonder if I should be going back to the same brand again? after they fix the 10K damage

I was going normal speed same as everyone else.... the tire pressure should have been right because I sent it in the friday prior.. this happened monday... to the dealer n they had checked it.... I didnt do anything special so other than possible runing over something that might have cut the tire on the road and it blew, but then how you gonna avoid that unless its obvious...so I really have no clue..I am bringing them in to the tire place to get them replaced nokian has a 1 year replacement policy, apparently through this shop anyways... So they will replace any tire damage within a year.

Just to keep things neutral here (not my job but what the heck), it\'s very likely you ran over something that cut into the tire. A fellow on the board, autoexe, ran over a freakin pot hole and it blew his tire. Nokian\'s aren\'t cheap. You pay good money for a Ferrari (Nokian) vs. say a Honda Civic (some Canadian Tire winter tires) ... either way you hit something, the car\'s gonna get damages (running the tires over a nail, metal shards, broken glass, etc.)

If you\'re able to, bring the blown tire to a shop and see if they can determine what may have caused it.

No matter tho, you have the warranty covering a new/replacement tire.

jdanielsg
01-05-2006, 09:21 PM

I was going normal speed same as everyone else.... the tire pressure should have been right because I sent it in the friday prior.. this happened monday... to the dealer n they had checked it.... I didnt do anything special so other than possible runing over something that might have cut the tire on the road and it blew, but then how you gonna avoid that unless its obvious...so I really have no clue..I am bringing them in to the tire place to get them replaced nokian has a 1 year replacement policy, apparently through this shop anyways... So they will replace any tire damage within a year.

Just to keep things neutral here (not my job but what the heck), it\'s very likely you ran over something that cut into the tire. A fellow on the board, autoexe, ran over a freakin pot hole and it blew his tire. Nokian\'s aren\'t cheap. You pay good money for a Ferrari (Nokian) vs. say a Honda Civic (some Canadian Tire winter tires) ... either way you hit something, the car\'s gonna get damages (running the tires over a nail, metal shards, broken glass, etc.)

If you\'re able to, bring the blown tire to a shop and see if they can determine what may have caused it.

No matter tho, you have the warranty covering a new/replacement tire.

yeah hard to say what went wrong just by speculating I would be bringing the tires in sometime next week hopefully or something like that, i am guessing I have to wait for them to finish work other parts of the car before doing the wheels n tires last.. well not so upset the tires blew per say but upset it cuased the car to go out of control n sustain even more damages but i guess thats over and done. We\'ll see what the shop says if its pressure than I am gonna look to the mazda dealer here coz they were servicing it on the Friday before it happened, if its external puncutre then tough luck for me I guess :) not much I can do to prevent that other that keeping an eye out as much as possible the highway speeds prob contributed to the whole car going out of control if it were a normal road maybe it would not have been so bad.

KenYork
01-06-2006, 06:41 AM
is there a police report to suggest what may have actually happened? to know if it is the fault of the tire, road, or something else? caus any accident damage over $5K (i think), police should be at the scene.

jdanielsg
01-06-2006, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by KenYork

is there a police report to suggest what may have actually happened? to know if it is the fault of the tire, road, or something else? caus any accident damage over $5K (i think), police should be at the scene.

yes police was at the scene, they just took my statement. didnt even look at the car, So guess whats on the statement... what I just said :) It probably makes a difference if its a 2 car accident or something. We\'ll know when the tire people look at the tires

Fuman
02-12-2006, 01:51 AM
don\'t mean to bring the thread back from the dead, but did a search on winter tires and found this thread.

WTOM you said you were using Kumho KW17, how are they?
The reviews on 1010tires wasnt that help for.
If you don\'t mind, can you give me the price you got them for/place?

Are there any other specific winter tires (please list full tire name) that any one suggests?

Thanks in advance

majic
02-12-2006, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by Fuman

don\'t mean to bring the thread back from the dead, but did a search on winter tires and found this thread.

WTOM you said you were using Kumho KW17, how are they?
The reviews on 1010tires wasnt that help for.
If you don\'t mind, can you give me the price you got them for/place?

Are there any other specific winter tires (please list full tire name) that any one suggests?

Thanks in advance

if you have questions directly for wtom, PM him! yeah i know he\'s a mod and he can reply to 1 PM a day so leave him your email address.. secondly this thread is about crusing speeds of winter tires.. there\'s a SLEW of threads on how good a particular brand of winter tires is or where to purchase.. search man! (http://torontomazda3.com/forum/search.php) \'recently acquired snow tires\' is one of the latest threads.. stop being lazy and look around; you\'ll find tons of useful info :sarc

Fuman
02-12-2006, 02:19 AM
true, I\'ll leave him with e-mail.
I did search =p.
but as I looked around, E-spec doesnt have the vikings in stock anymore.
and this thread was where wTom posted about his KW17, so I replyed here.
Anyway, gonna find that thread you talked about.
Thanks,

KenYork
02-13-2006, 05:29 AM
170km/h across the 401(average 150kms) around 11pm yesterday on Hankook W404\'s, a bit noisy but smooth sailing, suspension is soft though.