PDA

View Full Version : Valve adjustment required (or so it seemed) - Video

djltoronto
01-20-2006, 06:03 PM
There has been a ticking sound coming from my engine compartment for the past few days... I noticed it one day, and then the next day it seemed to be gone...

After listening for it, it seems this noise was only present when the car was warm (operating temp). When cold, there was no noise at all.

To me, it sounded like the valves needed to be adjusted. (Listen for yourself).

However, it seems there is a secondary butterfly valve inside the intake manifold that can become loose over time and cause this ticking sound.

I have been to my local Mazda dealer, and I pointed this out to them and they have ordered me a new intake manifold (warranty of course)

I have 67,000 kms on the car as of now.

Thought I\\\'d share the video, may prove useful to some of you.

(Note; the mic sensitivity is turned way up... When you see me disconnect the vacuum line, the butterfly valve noise disappears completely, and the remaining ticking sound is what the car is supposed to sound like (just like new)). Sounds kinda bad due to high gain mic.

Click here to watch Mazda3-engine-noise (http://media.putfile.com/Mazda3-engine-noise)

MajesticBlueNTO
01-20-2006, 07:27 PM
thanks man!...i have this exact same sound. time to visit the dealer tomorrow.

DrunknFoo
01-20-2006, 10:52 PM
eeek, ya it does sound really bad when i first heard it, must be because of the mic..
let us know the results with the new manifold in place.

FLIPDADY
01-23-2006, 02:06 PM
Could the ticking be caused by the fact that our IM are made out of plastic?

djltoronto
01-23-2006, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by FLIPSPEED

Could the ticking be caused by the fact that our IM are made out of plastic?

I don\'t think the material has anything to do with it.
The ticking is just the secondary valves from the VLIM fluttering. It could happen to a metal IM just the same (theoretically).

The service advisor has told me that there is an updated part and the new one should last much longer than the 60k that the first one lasted. Not sure I beleive him about the updated part, I have no way to verify!

yuro
01-26-2006, 09:52 AM
i had exactly same sound in my car and i took it to the dealership and got intace manifold raplace under waranty at the end of december... my car had about 75 000 on it when it happened... (i posted my topic under \"problems\", but it got moved to the \"shop review\" forum....)

so it\'s 3 of us alrady who had same problem.... i guess those plastic intake manifolds are not holding up to the elements as well as metal ones...

djltoronto
01-26-2006, 12:04 PM
I was just thinking...
Are there any variable length intake manifolds made out of anything other than plastic?

MajesticBlueNTO
01-26-2006, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by djltoronto

I was just thinking...
Are there any variable length intake manifolds made out of anything other than plastic?

almost all intake manifolds in recent cars are made of plastic, whether they have variable intakes or not...in a variable intake case, it could be the small components that wear under the \"abuse\" they go through (fast moving air can be quite powerful :) )

one variable length intake i know of that wasn\'t made out of plastic was the \"Middle East Variable Intake\" (MEVI) for the 95-99 Maximas. it wasn\'t a \"true\" variable intake but still ;)

lukel90
01-26-2006, 06:44 PM
ive had this problem for a while now. im at 84k right now. i need to go back to the dealership becaseu powertrain warranty is only good for 100k. i need this fixed.

david3
02-03-2006, 04:27 PM
how loud is that? It\'s hard to tell in the video. Is it blatantly obvious or do you need to listen a little?

MajesticBlueNTO
02-03-2006, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by david3

how loud is that? It\'s hard to tell in the video. Is it blatantly obvious or do you need to listen a little?

it\'ll be blatantly obvious when you stand in front of the car while it is running ... with the hood open or closed.

SABIO
02-04-2006, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by MajesticBlueN

Have you gone?

MajesticBlueNTO
02-05-2006, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by SABIO

Originally posted by MajesticBlueN

Have you gone?

yup...all taken care of...the IM no longer exhibits the same loud ticking sound at idle.

billyfo
02-17-2006, 06:05 PM
I also have the exact sound but only when cold start. but do you guy have this condition, when you idling the car at traffic light, rev went down from 750rpm to around 600 and shaking like almost to stall? it happens to me sometime (or should say quite rarely). is this related to the problem?

Fuel90
04-01-2006, 08:54 AM
I had the same problem! Intake Manifold was replaced @ 10k! So mine went pretty early! I\'ve had some other ticking since then but i fear its worse and inside the head somewhere, who knows, mazda says they don\'t hear it lol.

mazda3ride
05-07-2007, 02:03 PM
Does anyone have this video file?

Big__M
05-11-2007, 09:48 PM
Does anyone know what this repaid would cost if the car was no longer covered under the warranty?

If I don't get it fixed will it cause any damage?

Thanks,

TurboEight
05-12-2007, 10:44 PM
CRAP...i thought all cars did this....getting it done as well!

ON monday when i bring it to MOT

Big__M
05-14-2007, 09:36 AM
Can you please check to see what this costs if you are no longer covered under the warranty??? Thanks!

MAZDA3_MIKE
07-25-2007, 02:16 PM
hahaha ive heard that sound 4x to many. hahaha mazda 2.3l bite 4 motors what can one say .