PDA

View Full Version : Engine ticking = New engine at 87000km

lukel90
01-30-2006, 11:19 AM
Yup thats right, i took my car into mazda this morning for the third time to check out a ticking/knocking noise coming from my engine compartment not thinking anything of it. maybe valves adjusted . mazda calls me back and asks for my maintenance records of anykind. ive kept most of them. i asked them what the problem was and they said i need a new engine. WTF. was my first reaction. i gave them all my records and they photocopied the ones not at my dealership and sent them to mazda canada. they said it\'ll be a day or so before i hear any news. this has been a ongoign problem for me for the last 6-8 months and ive been in a dealership 3-4 times just becasue of this knocking/ticking sound. and each time i got sent away with \" our technicians cant detect anything at this time\" or \" our techs cant hear anything\". i REALLY hope i dont get stuck with this bill. this is not my fault. i did nothing wrong to the car.i dont abuse it or anything. This is quite possible the worst day of mu life. there is a bulletin on this they said. im praying for good news.

xg3
01-30-2006, 11:37 AM
honestly, on mazda3forums. alot of ppl have been getting the ticking sound. and me too once in a while. i notice when i put octane 87 i get it ALL the time, with 89 is less frequent and 91 there isn\'t anymore. Maybe is just me. But if anyone else notice it, let me know. I use oct 89 now because of that.

civiclad
01-30-2006, 11:50 AM
Just hope that Mazda does not blame any of your mods for this issue.

MajesticBlueNTO
01-30-2006, 12:30 PM
Are you getting the same ticking as in that vid djltoronto posted?

If it is the same ticking, it might just be the intake manifold.

It is real easy to test, as shown in the video... I\'d post the link but I\'m writing this on a blackberry.

Which dealership did you take your car to?

MazdaTree
01-30-2006, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by MajesticBlueN

Are you getting the same ticking as in that vid djltoronto posted?

If it is the same ticking, it might just be the intake manifold.

It is real easy to test, as shown in the video... I\'d post the link but I\'m writing this on a blackberry.

Which dealership did you take your car to?

Here\'s the link Majestic was talking about...
Click Me! (http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=4854)

majic
01-30-2006, 12:35 PM

he means this (http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=4854) ;)

and the 7250 is teh rox :D

majic
01-30-2006, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by majic

EDIT: looks like my skillz aren\'t up to snuff.. MazdaTree, wanna take over? :)

EDIT 2: DAMN i\'m all over the place.. i was supposed to EDIT post.. ugh.. :sarc

xg3
01-30-2006, 12:47 PM
k i watched the video, mine is not that kind of ticking hehe. is the more quiet kind... like a 4 cylinder should idle with. ignore my post.

MazdaTree
01-30-2006, 12:54 PM

EDIT: looks like my skillz aren\'t up to snuff.. MazdaTree, wanna take over? :)

EDIT 2: DAMN i\'m all over the place.. i was supposed to EDIT post.. ugh.. :sarc

Majoogle cannot be replaced!:p

lukel90
01-30-2006, 03:50 PM
Ok. the noise i was getting was identical to the video that was posted a bit earlier. Nyhow. I jsut recieved a call from mazda canada and they will honour the warranty. the engine will be in on tuesday and the work will be completed by wednesday. the only thing i have to pay for is 2 replacement motor mounts, becasue my bumper to bumper warranty is over and a rental for 3 days at 35 bucks a day. motor mounts installed will cost me $220 and about 115 for the rental. overall not a bad price for a brand new engine. i was freaking out today about this. im just glad i dont have to pay 12000 or whatever it is for a new engine and im getting one tomorrow courtesy of mazda canada. I take back anything bad i ever said about corporate mazda.. this is such a huge weight off my shoulders...time to celebrate.....

Caz
01-30-2006, 04:14 PM
New engine in an \'O4. Not bad.

My friend had the same thing happen in the fall.

FLIPDADY
01-30-2006, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by civiclad

Just hope that Mazda does not blame any of your mods for this issue.

Funny how all the 3\'s that needed new motors that I\'ve seen have some mods done to the car.

Just an observation of course.:sarc

Caz
01-30-2006, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by FLIPSPEED

Funny how all the 3\'s that needed new motors that I\'ve seen have some mods done to the car.

Just an observation of course.:sarc

I would normally agree with that statement.
However, that being said my friends 3 was mod free and the engine was replaced under warranty.

lukel90
01-31-2006, 12:07 PM
ok. mazda canada will honour the warrany. the engine will be in on tuesday and ill get my car back on wednesday. only thing i have to pay for is new motor mounts because they had to be replaced. with install 216.. not bad considering im getting a new engine with it. they gave me a rental car for 35 bucks a day until tomorrow. i was expecting a sunfire or something, but i got a yellow convertabke chrysler crossfire....pretty cool car...i cant wait to get my baby back on wednesday.

Cardinal Fang
01-31-2006, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by lukel90

I jsut recieved a call from mazda canada and they will honour the warranty. the engine will be in on tuesday and the work will be completed by wednesday. the only thing i have to pay for is 2 replacement motor mounts, becasue my bumper to bumper warranty is over and a rental for 3 days at 35 bucks a day. motor mounts installed will cost me $220 and about 115 for the rental. overall not a bad price for a brand new engine.

Originally posted by lukel90
ok. mazda canada will honour the warrany. the engine will be in on tuesday and ill get my car back on wednesday. only thing i have to pay for is new motor mounts because they had to be replaced. with install 216.. not bad considering im getting a new engine with it. they gave me a rental car for 35 bucks a day until tomorrow.

huh......a glitch in the Matrix?

wtom
01-31-2006, 01:19 PM
congrats (?) lukel. at least they didn\'t immediately point a finger and say your intake did anything. I hear \"engine-swap project.\" ;)

Hope the new engine is nice to you. Sucks to hear most of the engines requiring replacement (from M3F) are off cars with intake mod. http://www.fmvperformance.com/forum_items/Smileys/default/ugh.gif

lukel90
02-02-2006, 02:17 PM
OK, so the new engine is in. Its like driving a new car again. its so much smoother only one problem, the ticking sound is still there. i went back to mazda this morning to let them take a listen to it and it turned into a BIG issue. the lead technician was talking to me about why this might be happening and so on, and in comes the dealership manager and asks whats going on. He asks because at this point im starting to get a littel impatient and a little angry. TO make a long story short. the technician that claimed i need a new engine was a new technician. the lead tech didnt even know about my engine swap. i told the master tech about that the noise is still there and lets move on to engine number 2. he says to the newbie tech if her checked the manifold, at this time the new techs face went green. the lead tech did his own diagnosis and determined that it is indeed a manifold problem.
At this time the dealer manager was FURIOUS. you should have been there. he told the new tech to go home and they ordered me a new part.

Im not exactly sure if i needed a new engine, but i got one anyway. the manifold is ordered and that\'ll be in in the next few days. Im starting to think mazda will have a recall on these manifolds, because a lot of people are having this issue,im just the only one that got a free engine in the process

majic
02-02-2006, 02:36 PM
morons.. all they had to do was check out this thread ;)

gald you got a new engine and getting the IM soon.. meanwhile keep on zoomin..

TheProfessor
02-02-2006, 05:42 PM
Wow, that is a pretty major screw up....which dealership was this?

lukel90
02-05-2006, 01:01 PM
this was at burlington mazda. manifold should be in soon. i cant wait to get my car back and running the way is was supposed to be. Just for those that are curious she lady at the counter showed me the bill if i had paid for the engine myself and it came to $8267.45. Im glad i didnt have to pay that.

SABIO
02-05-2006, 01:19 PM
$8000.. might as well build your own custom engine...

or buy a cheapy cosworth set-up :0

Krakilin
02-07-2006, 02:46 PM
I\'m surprised the newbie grease monkey didn\'t consult with a senior BEFORE concluding it\'s the engine\'s fault and ordering a new one... o well -1 for him, +1 for you.

McGuyver_3
03-04-2006, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by xg3

honestly, on mazda3forums. alot of ppl have been getting the ticking sound. and me too once in a while. i notice when i put octane 87 i get it ALL the time, with 89 is less frequent and 91 there isn\'t anymore. Maybe is just me. But if anyone else notice it, let me know. I use oct 89 now because of that.

Ive been using 89 since day 1 and never had any ticking noise. But the mannual says that we are not allowed to use 89 or higher because it burns hotter. We are only supposed to put 87 in. Do you think because it is burning hotter that we are silensing the noise in any way?

MAZDA Kitten
03-14-2006, 09:34 AM
If its a new engine do they reset your ODO to 0?? LOL just curious :hoho

I\'m hearing a ticking aswell but I thought it was some belt because its cold

MajesticBlueNTO
03-14-2006, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by MAZDA Kitten

If its a new engine do they reset your ODO to 0?? LOL just curious :hoho

I\'m hearing a ticking aswell but I thought it was some belt because its cold

no, the ODO is tied into the gauge cluster. if you get a new gauge cluster (ala bluntman), there is no way to set the KMs back to what they were, so you get a 0km ODO reading.

for those thinking of sourcing a gauge cluster from a scrap yard to \"reduce their KMs\", no such luck since the immobilizer is tied into the gauge cluster as well and you\'d need a Mazda WDS to reprogram the PATS (i.e. your car isn\'t going to start).

as for getting a new engine, if you were to sell the car, however, you would have to state at what kms the engine was replaced (if you were a truthful seller).

Tric
04-02-2006, 12:21 AM
what warranty did you get with your car is the does the stander warranty not only last for 80,000 on the engine?