PDA

View Full Version : Rear Brakes

mazda3ride
02-01-2006, 01:23 PM
Here it goes.

I took my car in for its 48K service the other day. It was determined that I needed rear pads and I needed to have my rotors machined. Yes I know that that the rear brakes are not the best but this is the issue that I have.

On Oct 2/04 with 12,045KM on the car I brought the car in and I complained about brake dust, squeaking from the rear brakes and grooved rear rotors. The tech made an adjustment to one of brackets. They did nothing about the grooved rotors (they were and are still very grooved compared to the front ones) the brake dust issue still happens (not to concerned about this) and the brakes still squeak from time to time.
On Dec 24/04 with 19,208KM on the car I brought the car back to have them check a clunking noise coming from the back brakes when brakeing at low speeds. Of course when I brought the car they were not able to replicate the noise. They inspected the brakes and said they were fine. Clunking still happens from time to time also.

I know that a lot of people have had their pads replaced and rotors machined under warranty. Should the dealer not have replaced my pads and/or machined my rotors when I first brought up these problems to them?

I have total respect for the service department but I feel that one of the techs may have missed something.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

chinsterr
02-01-2006, 02:00 PM
What dealership did you bring your car to ?

and was it the same dealership all three times ?

Chinsterr

eipromb
02-01-2006, 06:34 PM
I had the exact same problem with my car. I took it to downtown Mazda, complained 2 times prior about the grooving and was told that it was nothing. On my 48k visit, the tech said the rear brakes needed attention and would cost me $280. I bitched about it, and eventually talked to the service manager. I showed him the TSB with the brake grooving and he said well that doesn\'t apply to me so I needed to pay. The service manager went to far to imply that I basically didn\'t have warranty on my brakes because they would only acknowledge that there was a problem at 48K long past the point when \"it should have\" been looked at. I tried calling Mazda support to complain, and was basically told tough luck, cause no one had the corporate office was allowed to override the decision of the dealship.

I eventually got fed up and just recently bought a set of EBC brakes that I am going to install them myself when I get the chance.

The support from Mazda so far has been TERRIBLE!, and the people at downtown mazda only seem to care about how much revenue from service they\'re taking in.

Actually if anyone has a direct phone number or email to that I can submit complaints to please let me know!

KenYork
02-02-2006, 02:52 AM
what do you mean by grooving?

FLIPDADY
02-02-2006, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by KenYork

what do you mean by grooving?
The lines that appear on the brake rotor surface.

wtom
02-03-2006, 09:51 AM
You can sorta/kinda see it in this pic;

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=4286136165&idx=4&mode=invite

If you were to run your finger nail along the rotor (from center outwards and vice versa) you will feel it (if you have them).

KenYork
02-03-2006, 09:15 PM
You mean that darker line near the middle of the rotor?

McGuyver_3
03-18-2006, 12:05 AM
The darker line in the rotor means that either a leaf or a rock was wedged in between the rotor and the pads and over time created a groove. Not going on anyones side but that does happen wich means depending on how deep the groove the rotor can be either replaced or machined. But the dealer wouldnt be able to do anything under warranty because it is a \"natural\" cause it is NOT a manufacturer defect. Thats what ive been told at nissan so dont get me wrong

MaxRPM
03-18-2006, 06:24 PM
\"either a leaf or a rock was wedged in between the rotor and the pads and over time created a groove.\"

A leaf caused a groove, you\'re ****ing kidding me right!

FLIPDADY
03-19-2006, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by MaxRPM

\"either a leaf or a rock was wedged in between the rotor and the pads and over time created a groove.\"

A leaf caused a groove, you\'re ****ing kidding me right!
I was waiting for someone to respond to that.:p

No flippin\' way that could happen.

midnightfxgt
03-19-2006, 11:12 PM
For my 48K service I took mine into Ajax Mazda and I got all new pads/rotors under the TSB. Your VIN has to fall within a certain range.

-John

MAZDA Kitten
03-19-2006, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by my_mazda3

The darker line in the rotor means that either a leaf or a rock was wedged in between the rotor and the pads and over time created a groove.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111 111111111111111

thanks i needed that :)

mf5781
04-09-2006, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by midnightfxgt

For my 48K service I took mine into Ajax Mazda and I got all new pads/rotors under the TSB. Your VIN has to fall within a certain range.

-John

Are you referring to the U.S. TSB 04-002/05 Brake Rotor Grooved? My VIN is within that range but both the dealer, Markham Mazda and Mazda Canada said that TSB was not applicable here, they were for U.S. When I had 24K service MM did not say anything. When I have oil change at 33K, they said the rear rotors and pads needed to be changed and not under warranty even I showed them the TSB.

I asked MM why the front rotors and pads were under warranty at 18K and not the rear. The service manager, Stephen said because I complained the nosie at that time and I did not complain this time. I told him a lot of people complained about the noise and I thought it\'s normal. So since this was found by them it\'s normal wear and tear. I talked to MC and was told that I should talk to the owner of MM. But the owner did not budge an inch. He said he would not cover it if MC was not going to pay it. He only agreed to talk to the representative of MC when he visited his store. It looks like two parties try not to take any responsibility.

If MM can act like Ajex Mazda, I can save a lot of time in fighting them. But I will not give up. I will try CAMVAP for arbitration if MC denies my claim.

After the customer service supervisor rejected my claim, I filed complaint letters to MC\'s President. At first they still insisted they were normal wear & tear and not covered by that TSB. Suddenly the customer service manager called and said they wanted to move on and as a goodwill gesture, they would reimburse me for what I paid to MM.