PDA

View Full Version : Exterior automotive sandi

vortex-5
02-12-2006, 07:27 PM
Ok so I thouched up my car already with the mazda touch up pen. I\'m somewhat disatisfied with the results I realize the only true way to elimate the scratch (it\'s not deep but visible and you can feel it with your finger not with your finger nail) is to wet sand the area. Maybe it might be a good idea to use some spot putty as well, anyone know what kind of sand paper or sand sponge would be suitable for wet sanding automotive paint from lexan? (rear bumper).

I\'m probably not going to attempt this until it\'s warmer so the touch up paint will be able to dry within 2 hours, unlike the winter application that forced me to use a hair dryer to force an even drying (otherwise gravity created wonderful blobs for me to look at.)

Also if you guys seen spot putty anywhere I\'d probably be interrested in trying that stuff out (probably will do a few test runs on my RC car which is also made out of lexan.)

While we\'re on the subject anyone know the cost of a Ti Grey rear bumper? I\'ve noticed that unlike other things on this car the bumper can be easily removed and replaced. Might be a good idea to find out if that\'s a viable option if this small 5cm by 0.2mm scratch annoys me enough to do that. (I figure a thousand should cover it)

Come to think of it removing the bumper might be a good idea if I plan on doing this thing before the weather is willing to cooperate.

DrunknFoo
02-13-2006, 12:07 AM
I\'m not sure if this will help but anyway....

adpmods.com

It\'s a computer part store but they sell a lapping kit (wet sandpaper) with fine grit paper used for sanding down copper/aluminum heatsinks.

The sand grit is suitable for car finishes/polishing metal

http://www.adpmods.com/case-modding/product.php?productid=1043&cat=120&page=1

If you were to goto crappy tire the lowest grit available wont do you any good, the 10 micron is probably the finest grit sandpaper you will find (it\'s almost like paper)

I hope this helps, if not, good luck.