PDA

View Full Version : How To: Disable DRL If You Have HIDs

MajesticBlueNTO
02-22-2006, 10:11 AM
Mazda3 HID Installation - Remove DRL from Lowbeam/HIDs

This modification keeps the HIDs OFF when:

1) the headlight switch is set to OFF
and
2) the headlight switch is set to AUTO and there is daylight, or it is bright, outside.

Credit for the diagram below goes to chaser/Vince from the Toronto Mazda3 Forum

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/337000-337999/337094_63.jpg

The relay must have the following connectors:

30 - +12V fused power source
85 - Ground
86 - Switched input
87 - +12V output (to headlight +ve)

The relay can be found at any automotive supply store (i.e. Canadian Tire), any stereo shop, or your local Radio Shack.

There are dual 87 connector relays available so you only need one relay to power both headlights/HIDs.

Wires and connectors can be found at Canadian Tire and/or Wal-Mart in Canada. Recommended minimum wire be 14 gauge. 12 gauge would be good for the +12V fused power (30) and the ground (85).

Note: Ensure that the headlight switch is set to OFF before performing the steps below. Further precaution would be to disconnect the -ve battery terminal.

1) tap into the orange/blue wire of the parking light/turn signal connector. NOTE: The orange/blue wire is the parking light wire and does not blink with the turn signal (a good thing). Using a female connector at the end of the tapped wire, connect it to the male connector 86 on the relay.

2) Using a female connector at the end of a wire, plug it into the male connector 30 on the relay. Splice that end to an ATO fuseholder. Splice the other end of the ATO fuseholder to a wire with a ring terminal at the end and connect that to the +ve terminal on the battery.

3) Using a female connector at the end of a wire, plug it into the male connector 85 on the relay. Connect a ring terminal to the end of that wire and screw it either to a body ground point or to the -ve terminal on the battery.

4) Using a female connector at both ends of a wire, plug one end into the male connector 87 on the relay, and the other end to the +ve (red) wire on the XTEC HID kit.

5) Connect the -ve (black) wire on the XTEC HID kit to the -ve connector of the STOCK H7 headlight harness (black wire).

6) If using a dual 87 relay, repeat steps 4 and 5 for the other headlight. If using a single 87 relay, repeat steps 1 to 5 on the other side of the vehicle.

7) Now that everything is wired up, insert a 30 AMP ATO fuse into the fuseholder.

8 ) Reconnect the -ve battery terminal and turn on the headlight to the parking light position. The HIDs should turn on. If not, check connections and ensure that the fuse is inserted fully.

To see that the DRL has indeed been disabled, turn the ignition on (start the car) and lower the handbrake. Normally, the lowbeams would turn on (HIDs would flicker); in this case, the HIDs should stay off.

To maintain DRLs, the independent fog light guide can be found on M3F (http://www.mazda3forums.com) or can be done at LOCKDOWN Enterprises in Scarborough, ON (647)-435-5896 (http://www.lockdownsecurity.ca)

Pics:

Tap the Orange/Blue wire - in this case, the wire on the left
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/337000-337999/337094_65_full.jpg

Tap connectors used to tap into the parking light wire. Orange/Blue wire goes in one side, wire going to the relay goes on the other side. Use a needle nose pliers to press down the wire stripper.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/337000-337999/337094_67_full.jpg

All done and wires hidden
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/337000-337999/337094_68_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/337000-337999/337094_70_full.jpg

Pics of all parts used in this setup:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/337000-337999/337094_72_full.jpg

Part Numbers for Parts in Pic

* Dual 87 Output Relay: 20-3529-8 (Canadian Tire)
* 16-14 Gauge Wire Female Connectors: 03768NA (Wal-Mart)
* 12-10 Gauge Wire Ring Terminals: 20-6987-8 (Canadian Tire)
* 12-10 Gauge Wire Female Connectors: 20-6923-0 (Canadian Tire)

Velcro was used to mount the relay inside the battery box.

Note - the above write-up is for an HID kit such as the XTEC HID kit and Prolumen HID kit that is wired like this:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/337000-337999/337094_51_full.jpg

and

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/337000-337999/337094_106_full.jpg

where the connectors plug directly into the stock harness.

Polarion/Phillips HID kit

In a kit such as the Polarion/Phillips HID kit, which is wired like this:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/337000-337999/337094_71_full.jpg

All you have to do with the Polarion HID Kit is tap into the parking light wire and put it on one of the wires going to the \"to factory headlight plug\" connectors. The other wire in the \"to factory headlight plug\" is connected to the negative connector in the stock H7 harness.

The wires in the Polarion Kit going \"to factory headlight plug\" is the Switched Input on the relay (which is why \"polarity doesn\'t matter\"). The other wires are the fused +12V input, the Ground and the +12V output.

Jeff-TheBiz
08-16-2006, 07:36 PM
ugh!! Finally need to do this and all the pics are gone!

queens49
08-16-2006, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by TheBiz

Here\'s a good write-up for the independent fog,
http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=11730.0

I tried to do it where you wired a spare relay slot (on page 12 or 13, by diegoboy?) for the independent fog, but I have no idea how the guy was able to tilt the fuse box up enough to work under it. In the end, I just did it the same way as Xenon Expert. It\'s really pretty simple to do. The only hard part was finding where the the hole was to put the wire through the firewall.

Now, I\'m all set to get 5k from Devin, but at the moment he\'s out and his last shipment didn\'t include the 5k. The wait is killing me, I\'m so anxious to get them.

MajesticBlueNTO
08-16-2006, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by TheBiz

if you use firefox, right-click the \"user-posted image\" text and then select \"view image\"

if you use internet explorer, right-click the \"user-posted image\" text and then select \"Properties\"... copy the \"Address (URL)\" and paste it in the Address bar.... press enter and the picture should load in the IE window.

CarDomain is being flakey right now.

maxsensation
07-03-2007, 05:42 PM
may i ask what step #7 is all about?
is this what i need to buy?

Jeff-TheBiz
07-03-2007, 06:14 PM
Should be mentioned that this method is used for 2004-2006...

For an 2007:

1) remove DRL fuse
2) replace fuse box cover.

I think that's it...

WeatherB
07-03-2007, 06:25 PM
Should be mentioned that this method is used for 2004-2006...

For an 2007:

1) remove DRL fuse
2) replace fuse box cover.

I think that's it...

Yup. Gotta love Mazda!

MattC
07-03-2007, 08:12 PM
I guess thats a fair trade for not being able to get a custom lip or grill on the 07's?

Jeff-TheBiz
07-03-2007, 08:22 PM
I guess thats a fair trade for not being able to get a custom lip or grill on the 07's?

http://www.grundsteinlego.de/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/nelsonHaHa.jpg

MattC
07-03-2007, 08:44 PM
i have been owned. :chuckle

maxsensation
07-03-2007, 08:51 PM
i have a 2005 hb....

so..

may i ask what step #7 is all about?
is this what i need to buy?
answers? or is that just the relay harness?

Jeff-TheBiz
07-03-2007, 08:56 PM
i have a 2005 hb....

answers? or is that just the relay harness?

Sorry.. Devin includes the harness in his kit IIRC.

Otherwise you can wire it yourself. just follow the diagram that is on the OP.

WeatherB
07-03-2007, 09:06 PM

Off topic, but, the grill that SSG is selling now works on the 2007 Hatch. You should have gotten a hatch instead. :chuckle

Jeff-TheBiz
07-03-2007, 09:09 PM
Off topic, but, the grill that SSG is selling now works on the 2007 Hatch. You should have gotten a hatch instead. :chuckle

That way too much of a trade off.... I am sure he would rather have an un-modable grill than a Hatch.

cwp_sedan
07-03-2007, 09:28 PM
You must be out of it then Matt. SSG will be creating a lip for the '07s in due time. I wish the grill was removable on the '07+ sedans but it still looks damn good!

Jeff, you are right about '07s though for DRLs

maxsensation
07-03-2007, 09:31 PM
Sorry.. Devin includes the harness in his kit IIRC.

Otherwise you can wire it yourself. just follow the diagram that is on the OP.

^ im trying to build what this how to is trying to do...
i dont get step 7...what the 30amp fuse?

from this picture...
http://www.thexenonstore.com/Images/Mazda3DRL/wiring.jpg
is the 30amp fuse the black thing the blue wire leads to than to the +12v battery?
do i need that..if so where i get it?

im trying to build this as of now..need some help.....need to do the independent fog after!

cwp_sedan
07-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Yes that is the fuse. You can get it at Canadian Tire.

Relay - black box thing on the left side

maxsensation
07-03-2007, 09:48 PM
darn it...now i gotta run to ct again...

maxsensation
07-03-2007, 09:50 PM
#7 says

7) Now that everything is wired up, insert a 30 AMP ATO fuse into the fuseholder.

ummm...where do i put this 30amp fuse?

Jeff-TheBiz
07-04-2007, 02:06 AM
into the small black fuse holder..

maxsensation
07-04-2007, 02:22 AM
i just wired everything up..
how come i lose my blinker lights when i unlock the car?

Jeff-TheBiz
07-04-2007, 02:37 AM
i just wired everything up..
how come i lose my blinker lights when i unlock the car?

Thats not right..

Can you swing by the dealership after 3pm tomorrow?

maxsensation
07-04-2007, 03:00 AM
i would love to...but i live in vancouver bc....
still not working...i guess ill have to rewire it from the start....
unless i blew a fuse..

EDIT: nvm...i found the problem...who would of known that if the hood wasent closed, the blinker lights wont go on......haha!
as for the mod...it works...woot!

cwp_sedan
07-04-2007, 06:35 AM
Yeah it's the same if you leave the trunk popped. When you unlock the car the parking lights won't flash either.

sp3GT
07-04-2007, 12:56 PM
Can someone tell me how I can reverse the DRL mod, I have DRL's on my fogs right now and I don't want it anymore. I already have independent fog mod. I took off my bumper and I see a cable atttached to my driver side fog light.

Someone tell me how I can undo it and just have no DRL.

JonsMazda
07-04-2007, 03:41 PM
i got 07 m3. Just wondering which fuse to take off to disable my DRL..

Gizzmo_jr
07-04-2007, 05:55 PM
the "DRL" one.:loco
#22 in the fuse panel.
http://www.finc.ca/userfiles/users/gizzmo_jr/fuse.JPG

JonsMazda
07-04-2007, 05:57 PM
Thanks gizzy

Gizzmo_jr
07-04-2007, 05:58 PM
with an I at the end...:complain

Skarbro
07-04-2007, 06:02 PM
Yeah it's the same if you leave the trunk popped. When you unlock the car the parking lights won't flash either.
...and any of the doors...

cwp_sedan
07-04-2007, 06:05 PM
...and any of the doors...

Oh, I thought I put that in lol. Yeah, the doors too!

sp3GT
07-04-2007, 07:27 PM
Can someone tell me what I need to do? I have an 06 and basically I just want to disable the DRL, rite now it's connected to my fogs.

I didn't do it myself before so I'm not too sure what to do.

maxsensation
07-05-2007, 05:18 AM
man..the mod work fine until i tied up everything neatly, BAM....it doesnt work for some apparent reason...
the relay has a releasing sound but no hid light......
now i had to pull everything apart..which took me 3 hours to tie up neatly.. and yet it doesn't work..pissed.....

for some odd reason..when i do the switharo with the wire on the relay...one of the hids work.....weird...

WLS ZMZM
07-05-2007, 02:06 PM
go over your connections again I gurantee you either pinched a wire or something isn't clipped in properly. I had the same problem... everything was hooked up and nicely working. Tied everything up and the passenger side hid didn't work... so I cut everything and started fiddling and again it worked fine... tied it back up and same problem so i started playing with it again... and touching all the connections and bingo... it started working... again.. and no problems since (roughly 3 weeks ago)

WLS ZMZM
07-05-2007, 02:07 PM
sp3Gt are you still having problems.. with this..... ??

sp3GT
07-05-2007, 03:22 PM
I want to reverse the DRL to the fogs, like just cut the DRL and leave my independent fog alone. I'm still trying to get control over just turning on parking lights.

Jeff-TheBiz
07-05-2007, 03:40 PM
Someone tell me how I can undo it and just have no DRL.

Some one correct me if I am wrong.. If you disable the DRLs entirely, and you get into an accident that the insurance company deems could have been avoided had the DRLs been functioning.. You are out a claim... and paying through the nose.

I want to reverse the DRL to the fogs, like just cut the DRL and leave my independent fog alone. I'm still trying to get control over just turning on parking lights.

As long as you have something that comes on automatically to run in the daytime.. I think you are safe.

sp3GT
07-05-2007, 05:10 PM
I'm not saying I won't have DRL, I'll just turn the fogs on manually myself. My goal is to have control over the parking lights, it's also hurting my HID rite now too cause everytime I turn on the lights I need to do it twice in order to have the driver side one turn on. I think it's because it shares the power with that turn signal so it's not strong enough to turn the HID on in 1 shot.

WLS ZMZM
07-05-2007, 05:33 PM
Hey jeff, I think your right... about the DRL, but SP3GT has his installed professionally... but for some reason.. they did his wiring funny and mucked it all up...

sp3GT
07-05-2007, 06:20 PM
Hey jeff, I think your right... about the DRL, but SP3GT has his installed professionally... but for some reason.. they did his wiring funny and mucked it all up...

I guess it wasn't very professinally, should of jsut got it done at lockdown =(

maxsensation
07-06-2007, 05:58 AM
go over your connections again I gurantee you either pinched a wire or something isn't clipped in properly. I had the same problem... everything was hooked up and nicely working. Tied everything up and the passenger side hid didn't work... so I cut everything and started fiddling and again it worked fine... tied it back up and same problem so i started playing with it again... and touching all the connections and bingo... it started working... again.. and no problems since (roughly 3 weeks ago)

i really hate working with the 12awg wires, first there solid and there hard to bend.
I guess i can take the whole assembly apart, but than taking apart a 3 hour job hurts the heart...all that effort down the drain....

anyways, ill see what i can do!

as for the post above me, you can always bring it to lockdown and see what they can do for you. Since they know the wiring , it shouldn't be to hard for them to rewire some stuff, worse case they'll have to rewire everything again.

WLS ZMZM
07-06-2007, 02:07 PM
i hear ya maxsensation.... it took me about an hour and a half to hide the wires and tie everything up nicely... so I really wasn't pleased to have to cut all the ties and try again... but wanted it done properly and wanted to make sure it works properly :p

mf5781
07-06-2007, 06:20 PM
Can someone enlight me why people with HIDs want to disable DRL? I think one of the reasons for HIDs is the cool looking. If they are diabled most of time, won't they defeat one of the purposes? If it's due to saving the life of HIDs, actually how much money can they save?

WLS ZMZM
07-06-2007, 06:42 PM
It's not so much saving the lights.... the problem with the DRL is that the HID's need a constant 12 v of power.. the DRL doesnt provide that.. so if you have them on as DRL's they flicker... which can cause problems with the bulb and can even blow the ballasts cuz they aren't getting enough power..

mf5781
07-06-2007, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the info. Do you mean if we turn the lights on instead of using the DRL, it would supply enough power? Then can we just turn them on manually instead of disabling DRL?

WLS ZMZM
07-07-2007, 01:46 PM
Yep you can do that.. in fact a few people do it that way... i remember reading somewhere someone recommended turning the lights on before starting the car... you just hafta remember to turn them on and off... disabling the drl's is not hard.. takes about 40 mins max... to sit and install them... and it might take longer depending on how perfect you want the install to look.. but its not hard.

sp3GT
07-07-2007, 09:50 PM
I guess I'm finally successful =)

I resorted to powering Hid's through the high beams instead of tapping from the turn signals.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q259/sp3GT/IMG_4897-web.jpg

WLS ZMZM
07-08-2007, 02:55 PM
Glad to hear it man... you were having a lot of trouble with this situation.. congrats :chuckle

JonsMazda
07-12-2007, 11:56 AM
eh, was wondering cuz i disabled my drls and using only angel eyes.....so i cant highbeam no more, is there a way that i can disable drl's and use highbeams when i want to?

sp3GT
07-12-2007, 12:12 PM
How are your angels wired though? I have no high beams now either in order to achieve what I want.

JonsMazda
07-12-2007, 03:08 PM
directly to the fuse

sp3GT
07-12-2007, 05:18 PM
Probably not possible to keep your highbeams, cause The Biz has angels + fog mod and HID's and he told me he has no highbeams either. You could ask him though.

phoenix_bladen
07-31-2007, 02:58 AM
i just use the relay that devin provided at www.thexenonstore.com

trust me that's all you need ....

disable DRL and install your HID you have your auto light still working.

that's the best way in my opinion.

Gizzmo_jr
07-31-2007, 10:22 AM
How the heck are you guys running your wiring?
I've got angel eyes, fog mod, and HID's as well with working high beams.

Angel eyes run off that blank spot in the fuse box (on only with Acc, I also added a switch)
Fog mod is just that (utilizing the stock switch on the control arm)
HID's uses the relay (signal input is coming from stock plug for low beam).

I thought for 2004-2006 DRL bypass was tap the signal wire for the HID relay into the running light circuit.

yearoftherat
07-31-2007, 10:38 AM
Yeah the relay taps into the front amber light circuit

Skarbro
08-10-2007, 11:31 AM
Just so I got this right...

The reason why it's desirable to disable the DRLs with HIDs is because they flicker when used as DRLs? Is that right? No one running HIDs as DRLs?

Gizzmo_jr
08-10-2007, 11:40 AM
DRL for 2007+ are high beams so a bypass is needed unless you want HID's + 1/2 power high beams.

DRL bypass for 2006 and under is needed because the lowbeam's pulse (Pulse Width Modulation) really fast to make them run at half power. This in turn would slowly kill the HID's, as well upon starting up the car the initial surge could/will effect the ballasts and again, killing the HID's (that is if the parking brake isn't on).

Skarbro
08-16-2007, 06:35 AM
DRL for 2007+ are high beams so a bypass is needed unless you want HID's + 1/2 power high beams.

DRL bypass for 2006 and under is needed because the lowbeam's pulse (Pulse Width Modulation) really fast to make them run at half power. This in turn would slowly kill the HID's, as well upon starting up the car the initial surge could/will effect the ballasts and again, killing the HID's (that is if the parking brake isn't on).
So the 2007's use the inside high beam bulbs as DRLs? I wonder if a 2006 can be converted to use the high beam bulbs as DRLs instead of the main outside bulbs? Do the 2007's use the same bulbs for the high beams?

cwp_sedan
08-16-2007, 08:53 AM
If the exact wiring config could be determined then you could rewire everything. The highbeams are 9005 which I think is still the same.

Walrus
08-16-2007, 10:12 AM

On a 2007, no bypass would be needed. You would tap the HID signal into the low beams instead of the parking lamp.

Poopoohead
08-30-2010, 04:33 AM
does tapping into the parking light signal still make the headlight switch work porperly? what would connect into the (+) end of the cars original headlight connector since the (-) end goes into the HID kit?

Poopoohead
08-30-2010, 04:35 AM
what plugs into the (+) end of the STOCK H7 wiring harness if the one from the HID kit goes into the 87 on the relay?

does the headlight switch function properly by tapping into the parking signal wire??

thanks.

black and blue
02-20-2011, 11:31 AM
so exactly how do u dissable your DRL on a 05

cwp_sedan
02-20-2011, 11:43 AM
so exactly how do u dissable your DRL on a 05

Did you read any of the first post?

Are you trying to install HIDs? You need to use a relay harness and tap into the parking light for the signal.

black and blue
02-21-2011, 01:40 PM
yea im puttin in hid's

aznives3
02-21-2011, 01:46 PM
guys...need some major HELP!

followed this thing step by step, with the dual 87 relay. looking at the schematic on the top of the relay though, it looks like 85/86 should be the power/ground circuit, and 30 is the switch.

at first i wired it up according to the instructions here (30 power etc), and turned it on. nothing happened. i checked my signal connection and it seemed that the T-tap didn't slice into the wires. i decided just to strip both wires and splice them directly.

I turned them back on (can't remember if i had power on 30 or 86 at this time), and the HID's turned on with the parking lights, and then shut off after about 5 seconds. i tried to refire them and nothing. I then disconnected the splice in, and i notice now that the parking light is not working. The Turn signal/hazards still work so the bulb/fuse is still good, but no parking light on the drivers side where i tapped/spliced in.

i then thought i had did something to the wire so i then stupidly spliced a new wire in line. Everything still works except the parking light, and for that reason my HID's are not firing.

i'm really worried now that i really effed up my stock wiring now, can anyone shed some light as to where to look to see why the parking light is not working properly now?

black and blue
02-22-2011, 07:41 PM
i have a helligkeit hid set with a relay, i need help on what to do cuz in the end thare are things not pluged in and no lights

Tozer
04-20-2011, 12:33 AM
The technicalities of this thread completely confuse me. I know I'm in the wrong thread (i think...) but it's the only one relevant to what I want to do. I want to use my HID's in place of my stock DRL's. Is there a way to do this? 07 Sedan

cwp_sedan
04-20-2011, 12:49 AM
The technicalities of this thread completely confuse me. I know I'm in the wrong thread (i think...) but it's the only one relevant to what I want to do. I want to use my HID's in place of my stock DRL's. Is there a way to do this? 07 Sedan

Yeah, turn on your headlights. :)

Migeta22
04-20-2011, 01:03 AM
I've had my e-brake wire unhooked to disable DRL on my 06. Been reading around but still haven't found a way without using a relay harness. Has anyone found a way yet cause I hate looking at the e-brake warning?

cwp_sedan
04-20-2011, 01:12 AM
I've had my e-brake wire unhooked to disable DRL on my 06. Been reading around but still haven't found a way without using a relay harness. Has anyone found a way yet cause I hate looking at the e-brake warning?

Just use a relay. It's extremely easy and the safest way to do it.

Default User
04-20-2011, 09:02 AM

arent your DRL's your hi-beams?

cwp_sedan
04-20-2011, 09:39 AM
arent your DRL's your hi-beams?

Yeah they are. I think he/she just wants the HIDs to be on all of the time.

zoomzoom!
04-25-2011, 08:46 PM
WOW!

I have had so many problems with this. Im using the relay harness but i have them connected to the HID's, not the turn signal. The only way it works for me is:

Turn on the lights
Start the car
Turn off the car
Turn off the lights

The DRL's cause my relay to make a clicking noise and it wont work any other way.

I'm stumped. I don't understand why tapping into the turn signal light makes them work and not directly into the HIDs. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Default User
04-25-2011, 08:55 PM
I'm confused with how it's wired. Are you using a capacitor and a relay harness? Or just a relay harness?

Using a cap and RH
- take the signal from the OEM headlight harness

If using a RH alone
- take the signal from the corner light.

I'm stumped. I don't understand why tapping into the turn signal light makes them work and not directly into the HIDs. Any help would be greatly appreciated

I'm assuming you have an 04-05 and using RH alone (no capacitor)

The HID's need a constant 12V to light up without flickering. DRL's do not run at that voltage until you actually turn on your low-beam headlights.

Tapping the signal into the corner light means the HID's won't turn on until you turn on the parking lights (eliminating DRL's)

rzapata
04-25-2011, 08:57 PM
Have you tried the relay + capacitor method?? I had that same problem before..

I originally bought just the HIDs, no relay. Installed it, had flickering problem so I had to turn on the lights even on daylight.. Didn't like it, bought a relay, installed, still had a flicker and now the noisy ticking noise is added to it.. Finally, bought capacitor, installed on relay harness, and voila, no more noise, no more flicker.. :)

zoomzoom!
04-25-2011, 09:06 PM
I am using the relay harness only. the two ends(mine are blue and black) that are supposed to go into the stock head light harness is what im using. I live in Orangeville and searched the entire town all day for a 35V cap with no avail. Only 50V at source was the closest i could find.-I passed on it.

So Pretty much, i need that cap is what youre saying to run the signal off the stock headlight harness?? I can't get to the city for a couple of days. will this be ok to run like that until i get a cap?

Default User
04-25-2011, 09:22 PM
So Pretty much, i need that cap is what youre saying to run the signal off the stock headlight harness?? I can't get to the city for a couple of days. will this be ok to run like that until i get a cap?

Yes.
50V might work.
If it's only gonna cost $5 or so, I say it's worth a try. If it doesn't work. Just take it out

rzapata
04-25-2011, 09:24 PM
With the relay (w/o capacitor) only and HIDs, I guess you just have to keep the lights on at all times to avoid that flickering and ticking noise.. At least that's how it was with mine. The reason the relay ticks is that there's a switch there of some sort that opens and closes depending on the current... DRLs in general sends a pulse like current to the stock bulbs (that is why they are not as bright compared to when they are turned on) which is what causes the flicker and the ticking.. When the lights are turned on, the current is constant and as a result, HIDs work fine..

What the capacitor does is it stores electricity and discharges it constantly to the HIDs, mimicking the current flow as when the light are turned on. So technically, your HIDs will be turned on all the time, only, it will be drawing it's power directly from the battery.. Based on what I've read, you need a 25V 4700uF (uF - microfarad) capacitor. I'm not an electrician so these numbers don't mean much to me.. As an assumption though, 25V means the voltage capacity (how much voltage it can handle) and 4700uF, not too sure really.. :)

I've been running this set up for quite some time now and haven't had any problems.. I would highly recommend it.. ParsM3GT has done it and it seems to work for him as well.. :)

Default User
04-25-2011, 09:50 PM
I know 12V is the absolute min'm you can use.
25V is easy to find and the most commonly used
I'm using 35V on both my 3 and my Lancer.
I don't see why you can't use a 50V

rzapata
04-25-2011, 10:00 PM
I know 12V is the absolute min'm you can use.
25V is easy to find and the most commonly used
I'm using 35V on both my 3 and my Lancer.
I don't see why you can't use a 50V

Agree.. :)

zoomzoom!
04-25-2011, 10:03 PM
Thanks guys for all the great info. i will let you guys know what the outcome is when i get the cap.

one thing i noticed is that my drivers side HID is not as bright as the passenger side. would this possibly coincide with the face i dont have the capacitor on the relay??

rzapata
04-25-2011, 10:09 PM
Hmmm, not so sure about that.. Faulty ballast, bulbs maybe? Before the HIDs, did your stock bulbs had that effect?

Default User
04-25-2011, 11:13 PM
Possible that the lamps need to be re-aligned

shawn1
05-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Hi, that method you said ( 25V 4700uF (uF - microfarad) capacitor ) dose that disable the DRL's cause im trying to disable my drl's in my mazda 3 cause i have HID's.

Mazduh
07-13-2016, 01:27 PM
I'm planning on doing this to my 06 that I have now. Does anyone happen to have any photos of the mod? I can't get them to open at all on my end. I'm comfortable with wiring, so if not, I'm sure I can manage.