PDA

View Full Version : Review of Avante Mazda Experience

RedRaptor
02-23-2006, 09:06 PM
Here is a new thread to talk about Avante Mazda\'s service reviews. This thread is not for reviews on purchasing, leasing or anything else. It is strictly for reviews (both good or bad) about the service department of Avante Mazda.

After my weekend experience with Mazda of Toronto (http://www.torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=4725&page=2), I decided on two things. That I would get the 24K and all future services done and that I would get them all done at Avante Mazda. I felt that after the exchange that the service advisor and I had at MoT, I didn’t feel comfortable going back to MoT for the service even with the guarantee of free rear brake pad replacement with the updated brake pads. I did learn a lesson tho, that as a car owner, you are better off doing the schedule services so that you don’t give Mazda Canada or your Mazda dealership any excuses not to fix your problems under warranty.

For all my previous oil changes, I’ve always taken my car to Avante. But Avante is 20km away from my house while MoT is only 4km away. My logic was if MoT provided good customer service after a few times, I would take my car to MoT instead since it is so close. My first service experience there was pretty good. Stanley really took care of me and helped with the 1-2 shift shock update and also my glove box rattling. I was really happy with the service, with the exception that MoT didn’t offer me a ride back to the dealership after work. But I’m an easy going guy, so I let that slide and asked my co-worker to drive me. Last weekend, I went in to address a few issues with my car. I think the biggest problem I had with MoT’s service is the attitude of the service advisor. Instead of carefully explaining to me that a brake inspection needed to be done before any warranty work was to be covered by Mazda, he insisted that I was there to only get warranty work done, and that I never come to the dealership for any service. I got the impression that he was trying to sell me the 24K service by offering me free rear pads, instead of explaining to me why I needed the 24K service. I really felt disrespected by the way I was treated, and you know what? Maybe he was having a bad day but when you work in customer service, you can’t let that affect the way you treat your customers.

So I called Avante this week and spoke to the service tech, Anthony Curia about the 24K service. He took the time to explain to me what the 24K service included. There was no mention of price on either side as I didn’t care how much I was paying as long as the service is done right and I am being respected as the customer. I also never asked for any free rear brake pad replacement (like MoT offered me), but I did mention that my brakes squeak and if they could take a look at it.

I got in right at 9AM. The drive was a busy one up Yonge street, 20km in city traffic is painful especially in the morning. I was greeted by Anthony and he asked me if there was any additional issues I wanted to mention on the work order. I told him that it’s mostly my brakes squeaking and dusting. However my wiper arms were starting to rust and my engine has the hissing/whining sound on cold start. I asked if they could take a look at the issues just to make sure everything was okay. Everything was good and I handed my keys off to him. The shuttle driver, an older gentleman Don, was right there waiting for me so I wasn’t going to be late for work. It was a pleasure to ride with Don, as we quickly got to know each other and started sharing fishing stories. Boy, did I learned a whole lot about what lures to use for each different fish, and even asked Don for some advice on my second rod/reel I am planning to get this year. It was like talking to a grandfather, man what 30 to 40 years of fishing experience will teach you. The drive was fast and because of our conversation, it didn’t even feel like I was getting a ride from a shuttle driver. :)

I got an update on the car at about 4PM in the afternoon. Anthony mentioned that the 24K service was done and they had addressed some of the issues I mentioned. They replaced my rear brake pads with the updated ones. Anthony said that my VIN was in the range for the TSB (I knew this already), which said to replace the rear brake pads from 04 model with the updated brake pads of 05-06. Again I want to mention that I did not mention anything about a TSB or free replacement brake pads to Anthony when dropping off my car, I wanted to see what Avante would do with an average customer that do not even know that TSBs existed. They surely impressed me, as they treated me with respect by telling me exactly what the deal was with the rear brake pads. I acted like I didn’t know that much to pose as an average customer instead of a TM3 forum junkie. I really appreciate customer service that respects the customer and doesn’t treat them like they know nothing. Along with the rear pads, I got my rotors machined for a smoother surface to prevent the squeaking, and I also got new wiper arms to replace the rusted ones. All these things were done under warranty, free of charge.

I paid $197 tax in because I use my own Mobil 1 synthetic oil. I told Anthony that I was really happy with the service today and my experience with Avante was a very pleasant one. Up until last weekend, I was impartial to where I would take my car to for servicing. I really did give MoT a chance, and if my experience wasn’t so sour over the weekend, they would be the dealership doing my 24K and future services and I would be writing about them.

But I am now going to Avante for all future services for my car. Yeah, 20km is far but it’s well worth it in my opinion. MoT is still the best place for parts, so I guess it all works out. :D

I am going to update how my brakes are in a few days when I get to test them for squeaking on cold start.

Hope you guys find this review helpful.

Red.

majic
02-23-2006, 09:17 PM
very nice review.. glad it all worked out in the end..

Don _IS_ kickass.. the service is great and as you say, for parts there\'s always Joe @ MoT :)

and if it\'s worth for me to drive 60km then 20km trip should be a breeze ;)

chaser
02-23-2006, 10:12 PM
Good to hear that things got sorted out :)

Soon I\'ll bring my car to Avante for oil change and to address the squeaking brake issue.

m_a_t_r_i_x
02-23-2006, 10:42 PM
Im just giving you guys an update on the warranty work done by Avante Mazda on my car.

-The harsh shifting (1-2) is gone and the tranny is never been this smooth before

-I dont experience anymore so far the loud break squeak during cold starts and when i back out on my garage, the upgraded rear pads seems to be working just fine.

This is the kind of service that I have been looking for in a dealer, who are really committed in fixing the problem. In the first place we believe in their product thats why we got their car and if after sales service will take a back seat, then they wont expect customer retention.

Thats why, all my services so far were not done by my dealer (Scarboro) where I purchased my car, since they dont even bother to check my brake issue when I complained about it, all I got was a typical alibi that they are \"NORMAL\" and just allow the car to \"break-in\". After a year, both problems still exists.

It just sad that I have to drive all the way up to Richmond Hill to get a GOOD service which is supposed to be expected to any dealer.

With this experience, after sales service of the car manufacturer will be one of my major criteria in purchasing my future car.

Its good we have this forum/community to share our experiences, guide us and so we can empower ourselves to be treated fairly.....

FLIPDADY
02-24-2006, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by majic

for parts there\'s only Joe @ MoT :)

You meant to say this right?:D

Sorry about the bad experience Rob, don\'t forget about me bro!

civiclad
02-24-2006, 09:31 AM
Red,
I am happy to hear that everything worked out just great. I have a similar situation, where Airport Mazda is much further from my home but I really am amazed at their level of service, especially with Tony (service advisor).

RedRaptor
02-24-2006, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by FLIPSPEED

Originally posted by majic

for parts there\'s only Joe @ MoT :)

You meant to say this right?:D

Sorry about the bad experience Rob, don\'t forget about me bro!

No apologies needed Joe, you were very helpful! Don\'t you wish you were a service advisor? haha.

Wouldn\'t forget about you Joe. Eventho I know the parts guy at Avante personally, you still got all my parts business. :)

FLIPDADY
02-24-2006, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by RedRaptor

No apologies needed Joe, you were very helpful! Don\'t you wish you were a service advisor? haha.

Wouldn\'t forget about you Joe. Eventho I know the parts guy at Avante personally, you still got all my parts business. :)

Awww right!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/FLIPSPEED/quagmire_tn.jpg

TheProfessor
02-24-2006, 10:47 AM
Giggidy giggidy giggidy :)

avanteparts
02-24-2006, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the kind words. We\'re by no means perfect, but I think we do try our best to provide good service at a fair price. I\'m sure most dealers strive for this but of course making it happen is the hard part. I know Flipspeed does his best to do his part. It\'s unfortunate to hear stories of other dealers not providing good customer service since it just doesn\'t make business sense.

wtom
03-12-2006, 12:16 AM
Threads of reference

CEL after car wash?
http://www.torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=1681

CEL Question
http://www.torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=5052

Arrived at 9am and Jose recorded my service request details (brake squeal, bad wipers, axle bolt issue)
Barry the shuttle driver took me to Hillcrest mall. Around 11:30am Jose called saying service is done.
Barry arrives in 10 mins and takes me back to Avante.
I close the service request with Jose and go to start up my car;

CEL, but no mad vibrations

I go back inside Avante and advise Jose who takes care of things immediately.
Ted, I believe the service manager, lets me know when things are cleared up. He remembers one time in the recent past, the same exact thing happened with my car and the same code came back with no details on why CEL is thrown!
He states they\'ve cleared the CEL and send me on my way again.
I go out to start the car;

CEL with mad vibrations.

I go back in, Ted is there and I give him the bad news. He takes the car back and I see Barry again. He confirmed if that was my car and said it sounded like a cylinder was mis-firing.
Ted confirmed the cylinder mis-firing and said it\'ll be about 20 mins for them to thoroughly check things through.
I\'m spending my waiting time working on some Sudoku puzzles. :)
So later on Ted comes back and says they determined that two cylinders were not firing. They would detach the wires to each of the four coils and found there were two that had no change in the engine clunking.
They swap out the two coils and spark-plugs with new ones and said when he tried starting up the car, there was a CEL and the same mis-firing. This time he let me in the service bay to hear it for myself, BUT when he started up the car again, he\'s totally LOL because now there\'s no mis-firing, but still a CEL.
He states his certainty that the mis-firing will come back but I can take the car and give it the weekend to see how things go.
So it\'s about 2pm and I\'m finally able to leave the lot without a CEL. I pick up my gf and we go to Yorkdale. Parked there for about 3 hours (ran into MajesticBlueN during that time), then when we came back out to leave, I got the flippin CEL with mad vibrations. ><
I shut off and restart the car a few times; no good. It\'s 6pm and Ted along with majority of service has left two hours prior.
Reception passes me over to Joe Curia (sales) and he passes me through to Emilio directly. Emilio is not able to do anything either and can only help by letting Ted know my situation.
We hang up and I try to crank it again ... CEL but no mad vibrations. I said eff it and I drive away, heading back to my home.
Few hours pass, eating dinner, watching TV, I go out to the garage to start the car just to see ... CEL still, but no mad vibrations.
This damn car is such a sensitive biatch!

So the only thing I\'m thinking now is Sam Peng, when he installed my HIDs way back in the day, he might have accidentally exposed a wire that shouldn\'t have been touched.
Or it might actually be the MAF and something I fudged up when installing my CAI.

No matter. Purpose of this post is to once again acknowledge the patience and care that Avante Mazda\'s service department has given me.

My personal thanks to each of them!

Jose - service
Ted - service
Barry - shuttle driver (thx for the fishing stories)
Joe C - sales
The one manager I believe who pushed me to have a slice of pizza! :)
Emilio - service I believe

So maybe this is a sign I should trade-in for the Mazdaspeed 3 when it\'s available eh?