PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Glovebox

sibooo
02-26-2006, 06:38 PM
Hi 3 Owners...

Am I being too picky? Here\'s \"my\" issue w/ my 3...

I\'ve owned my 2005 3 for exactly 1 year. Lately I\'ve found the glovebox to be noisy while driving. It makes plasticy (is that a word?) sounds, especially when on the highway & hitting any kind of bump in the road (large or small).

So, am I being too picky or is there something I can do about this?

Thx.

SourcE
02-26-2006, 06:41 PM
try using some rubber grommits (like the ones used on cabinet doors) to make the fit a little tighter......

Ex-Rolla
02-27-2006, 12:01 AM
I have the same problem. They replaced my glovebox. It\'s better, but I can still hear a rattling sound. I need to speak to my dealer again. I think Red Raptor or majic also had the glovebox replaced. Give your dealership a call.

I tried using rubber grommets, but it doesn\'t seem to fix the issue.

Ex

majic
02-27-2006, 06:56 AM
there\'s a TSB and MoT replaced the glovebox (http://www.torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=2933) for me.. (under warranty)

the other day it resumed its rattle but i\'m not 100% sure if it was something i put in there or if it came out of a different nook in the car.. (it was a short trip and then it stopped bothering me) Bottom line is.. bring it to the dealer

RedRaptor
02-27-2006, 08:36 AM
Like Rolla and Majic, I had my glovebox replaced a few months ago at a Mazda dealership. However, it has resumed rattling over the Christmas holidays but it isn\'t as bad as the original glovebox. If someone has a DIY fix for the glovebox issue, that would be great. I don\'t want to go through the hassle of getting it replaced again at the dealership again.

Ex-Rolla
02-27-2006, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by RedRaptor

Like Rolla and Majic, I had my glovebox replaced a few months ago at a Mazda dealership. However, it has resumed rattling over the Christmas holidays but it isn\'t as bad as the original glovebox. If someone has a DIY fix for the glovebox issue, that would be great. I don\'t want to go through the hassle of getting it replaced again at the dealership again.

Agreed RR... it\'s just the inconvenience of taking it back to the dealer...

I tried increasing the lenght of the rubber stopper by putting a quater of a centimeter thick cardboard in between the plastic and the rubber, in order to put more pressure on the latch, causing it to hold the glovebox closed more firmly... it made it worse... I think is the latch/lock mechanism... Can\'t pinpoint where the noise is coming from though.

Any other ideas would be much appreciated :)

SourcE
02-27-2006, 12:57 PM
I\'m getting my glovebox replaced on Saturday for a different reason, it won\'t shut without holding the latch open........but I\'ll let you\'ll know if I get a rattle.

Candyman
03-03-2006, 09:57 AM
Oh man, I thought it was only me (been hitting too many potholes). Good to know it\'s not my fault. I guess I\'ll get it changed with my next oil change.

sibooo
03-16-2006, 01:40 PM
Thanks for your replies everyone.

Upon further inspection, I too think it\'s the lock/latch that\'s making all the noise. Something seems loose in there & I have no idea how to fix it.

It\'s not a major issue to me, more of an annoyance!

SourcE
03-16-2006, 02:45 PM
After MoT replaced my box, I have no rattling and I can finally shut it without having to hold the latch open.

MAZDA Kitten
03-30-2006, 01:42 PM
I cant get mine fixed because they said rattles are only warriented up to 20,000km.

HOWEVER...

We installed my Phatbox last night which means removing radio which means removing dash trim pieces which means REMOVING THIS GIANT GLOVE BOX.
After everything was put back in the rattle went away; maybe it was just a few lose screws? Who knows but mine is fixed :D

wtom
03-31-2006, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by MAZDA Kitten

After everything was put back in the rattle went away; maybe it was just a few lose screws? Who knows but mine is fixed :D

Report back on the rattling issue after a few thousand kms. :D

thebluejay
04-26-2006, 04:16 PM
Here\'s what I did after the dealer claimed he could not find any noise. (Ha!) I found that when I wiggled the little rubber shock absorbers that keep the glovebox tightly closed, there was some play in them and there was a clicking sound. Using felt underpadding that is available to put under the feet of furniture and such, I stuck two little pads onto the body of the box at the two points where the rubber shock absorbers hit. Box closes more tightly now and noise seems to have disappeared.

Hope this helps.