PDA

View Full Version : COILOVERS or SPRINGS AND SHOCKS

+--SM M3--+
04-03-2006, 11:48 PM
just need some advice..
i wanted to get coilovers..but i was told that with coilovers..they will only last maybe a year or 2 due to our winter conditions..the salt gets in the part and gets grimey..so i was told i shud get springs..and then shocks seperately...

any suggestions??

whodilly
04-03-2006, 11:57 PM
I got coilovers and they\'re definitely not designed for our climate... nor our roads. You\'re gonna find it pretty harsh and I also heard that they do not last as long. I\'m not sure if different brands are better but they guy who installed my setup had JIC magic coilovers which cost $2000 and they went after a year.

I\'m already getting noises from mine after 1 year (D2 coilovers, will never get them again btw) and I think the rears are siezed but the fronts are ok. Ride is definitely not as soild as when I first got them.

///M
04-04-2006, 01:02 AM
I have one winter and approximately 20000km on my Tein Basic setup and they still perform like the first day I got them on, and I haven\'t experienced any weird noises to speak of. I assume the threads are probably seized up, but I have no plans to adjust them. They handle considerably better than my previous setup of springs and shocks.

I agree with Whodilly though - the ride absoultely sucks. I don\'t mind a stiff ride, but there\'s a line to be drawn between stiff, and plain uncomfortable. On smooth roads they\'re fine, but most of our roads are anything buy smooth.

midnightfxgt
04-04-2006, 02:15 AM
I think I am the only one who likes my ride :)

I too have the Teins, and probably around the 15K mark, maybe shy of it... but they perform excellent. I would rate them a 7/10 for ride comfort compared to stock. I know Meth agrees with me on that! :D

I used mine through winter, and forgot to grease the threads... a little stiff but they were fine, and I lowered them back down. I actually find that they ride nice slammed than they do up for the winter. Albeit, a little more \"springy\", but I like it.

I have not had performance springs on this car, but they are a LOT better than my buddies SpecV on Tein springs. Clem has had springs and coilovers, so I would tend to believe him that they perform much better (as he has tested them on a track too).

Want adjustability? Better handling that springs? - Get Coilovers
Want Cheap prices? Lower performance, but slightly higher comfort? - get Springs

Hope that helps some!
John

Dave_Mazda3
04-09-2006, 10:54 PM
I was thinking about getting the Mazdaspeed springs, does anyone have input on them...ride, quality, or even how long you\'ve had them!
and my car\'s under lease so am i stuck with just buying the Mazda products without causeing problems with the warranty?

S.F.W.
04-10-2006, 12:53 AM
I\'d be curious as to feedback on the mazdaspeed springs. I am considering these myself.

Dave_Mazda3
04-10-2006, 11:05 PM
Anyone?

SABIO
04-10-2006, 11:14 PM
No... Just becuase your car is leased dosen\'t mean your stuck with mazda parts.

Look at my car... the only part I am Stuck buying is a Mazda Oil Filter!

Autoexe (Had) and Domokun (Has) the MazdaSpeed Springs. Both gentlemen liked to improved ride and response that they gave. Autoexe swapped his out for a more aggressive-track set-up.
Domokun has the Mazdspeed Shocks and Springs in his car now.(PM him for his thoughts)
And I believe Bubba1983 has Autoexes old springs or shocks? one of those anyway :)

(if you wanted a faster reply, you should not have asked your question about MS Springs in a Coilover thread;) )

Dave_Mazda3
04-10-2006, 11:48 PM
Thanks Sabio

///M
04-11-2006, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by SABIO

No... Just becuase your car is leased dosen\'t mean your stuck with mazda parts.

Look at my car... the only part I am Stuck buying is a Mazda Oil Filter!

Autoexe (Had) and Domokun (Has) the MazdaSpeed Springs. Both gentlemen liked to improved ride and response that they gave. Autoexe swapped his out for a more aggressive-track set-up.
Domokun has the Mazdspeed Shocks and Springs in his car now.(PM him for his thoughts)
And I believe Bubba1983 has Autoexes old springs or shocks? one of those anyway :)

(if you wanted a faster reply, you should not have asked your question about MS Springs in a Coilover thread;) )

I had the Mazdaspeed shocks, but not the springs. I was running Tein S-techs before.