PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding Brakes

idreamofmazda
04-10-2006, 12:59 PM
When I changed over to my summer tires last weekend, decided to bleed the brakes, not that I had any problems, I think it’s good to do, and I was surprised that I noticed a difference in how quickly the brakes respond.

If you don’t know anything about bleeding brakes, see the link below. I had already bought more Dot 3-Brake fluid, as well as a brake bleeder kid (basically a bottle with a tube). You can do this by yourself if you don’t want to nag someone else to help you, by using your snowbrush to press the brake-peddle. The rear bleeder valves require a 10mm wench, and the fronts need 9mm (maybe the GT would be different I don’t know). I just wedged the snowbrush in-between the brake-peddle and steering wheel, open the valve a bit, until the fluid starts to flow through the tub, then closed, released the brake, and repeated a few times. I did notice a few air bubbles, which was a surprise to me, as I have fewer than 24k so far. In the end, I only removed a small amount of fluid, and replaced with about the amount that I took out, with new fluid, into the brake reservoir.

I didn’t think the brakes would perform any differently, but to my surprise, they are a bit better.

If anyone would like more details, just let me know.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_howto_bleedbrakes.shtml

MajesticBlueNTO
04-10-2006, 04:55 PM
excellent post...should be stickied in the how-to section :)

SABIO
04-10-2006, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by MajesticBlueN

I hope you\'re not serious...:hoho

MajesticBlueNTO
04-10-2006, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by SABIO

give the guy a chance :)

a little formatting here, materials needed there, procedure here and there and it\'ll be a good how-to.

majic
04-11-2006, 09:05 AM

Originally posted by SABIO

give the guy a chance :)

a little formatting here, materials needed there, procedure here and there and it\'ll be a good how-to.

i concur.. got any pix? that would help this to become a how-to :)