PDA

View Full Version : Removing caliper rust

bubu416
04-11-2006, 11:28 AM
After a year of rain/snow/salt, my calipers are damn Rusty!!!
I\'m looking to clean it up and paint those suckers.

Whats the best way to clean the rust off? Any1 tried Lime-Away or CLR?

Dave_Mazda3
04-11-2006, 11:43 AM
I went to C/T and picked up the Dupli-Color Caliper Paint Kit
and it comes with everything....Paint, brush, stir stick, intruction and a can of Dupli caliper cleaner.... havn\'t used it yet but i\'ve heard from other\'s who have and they said it works well and just to use a clean toothbrush to rub in the cleaner...then go over it with a 400 - 600 grit sand paper! the kit was on sale for $20 with taxes...not to bad...
So if you want to go with the brush on way i think this is the way to go....
Good luck

bubu416
04-11-2006, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Dave_Mazda3

and it comes with everything....Paint, brush, stir stick, intruction and a can of Dupli caliper cleaner.... havn\'t used it yet but i\'ve heard from other\'s who have and they said it works well and just to use a clean toothbrush to rub in the cleaner...then go over it with a 400 - 600 grit sand paper! the kit was on sale for $20 with taxes...not to bad...
So if you want to go with the brush on way i think this is the way to go....
Good luck

I\'m planning to do the spray on method. I saw that kit at Walmart too, but none of the colors I like. Do they sell the caliper cleaner alone? Or is there any similar products?

ds2chan
04-11-2006, 12:07 PM
you can buy caliper cleaner but I\'m not sure if that will remove the rust.. it\'ll probably just remove the brake dust.. I say go to Canadian Tire and buy some stuff to clean the calipers and then take some sand paper to it to remove the rust.. I\'ve never tried sand paper on metal.. I\'m just going by Dave_Mazda3\'s suggestion..

my brother told me that with CLR it works best if you actually submerge the object that is rusted into a small tub with CLR and let it sit in it for some time..

fourtrack78
04-11-2006, 12:14 PM

I did the same on the weekend. Wire brush did the trick for me. I did about 2 coats each caliper. Putting on stickers this weekend:D

MajesticBlueNTO
04-11-2006, 01:05 PM
wire brush works best to clean off the surface rust on the caliper.

depending on how much rust, with sandpaper, it may take longer.

to make the job go quicker, buy a wire wheel brush attachment and stick it on the end of a drill or dremel.

do that before painting the calipers and the paint will stick much better.

bubba1983
04-11-2006, 04:07 PM
^^ wat he said....break cleaner + dremel + wire wheel + sandpaper...

im in the process o doin mine....takes awhile, almost 2 years worth of crap on them...

SABIO
04-11-2006, 07:13 PM
I tried the dremel... It works really good. But if you don\'t have one....??
Get a super duper wire brush... about 1\" wide and at least 6\" long. I found that using that on the flat surfaces on the front of the caliper worked best. You really only see the front, the wire brush will get it smooth. Use sandpaper for all the nooks and crannies on the side and behind.

Please make sure you paint all around the caliper.
And please please wear a mask when you are sanding!!!

Brake cleaner you can get anywhere

bubu416
04-12-2006, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by SABIO

I tried the dremel... It works really good. But if you don\'t have one....??
Get a super duper wire brush... about 1\" wide and at least 6\" long. I found that using that on the flat surfaces on the front of the caliper worked best. You really only see the front, the wire brush will get it smooth. Use sandpaper for all the nooks and crannies on the side and behind.

Please make sure you paint all around the caliper.
And please please wear a mask when you are sanding!!!

Brake cleaner you can get anywhere

the dremel wire brush attachment, will it fit to standard drills as well?
Has any1 tried Lime-Away (or similar prod.), will it damage other parts of the brake?

FLIPDADY
04-12-2006, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by bubu416
the dremel wire brush attachment, will it fit to standard drills as well?
Has any1 tried Lime-Away (or similar prod.), will it damage other parts of the brake?

Just buy a can of brake cleaner.

bubba1983
04-13-2006, 09:52 PM
jus painted my front 2 calipers today...holy hell, talk about alot of work to get them clean, took forever...but least paint on it now...

bubu416
04-15-2006, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by bubba1983

jus painted my front 2 calipers today...holy hell, talk about alot of work to get them clean, took forever...but least paint on it now...

Finally got those suckers painted!!
Took me a day + an aching back to polish it up...(I feel your pain bubba) :p

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid204/p40ed3debafe0b7fffab7eefe15948028/ef6d75c5.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid204/pecfabca11bb737069f21fb775a729d4d/ef6d7524.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid204/padb81d37104eca918bfe1ee9e82b7a3f/ef6d7498.jpg