PDA

View Full Version : Interior Shampoo

jdanielsg
04-25-2006, 07:58 PM
I havent start doing research but basically I am looking into being able to shampoo the interior of the car myself and buying an affordable wet/dry vac or watever it takes to do it or getting a home version with a flex hose which I am also able to use on the car anyone think about this before?

picus
04-26-2006, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by jdanielsg

I havent start doing research but basically I am looking into being able to shampoo the interior of the car myself and buying an affordable wet/dry vac or watever it takes to do it or getting a home version with a flex hose which I am also able to use on the car anyone think about this before?

I think there are pretty much 4 ways to go about this.

1) dry van then use a spot remover and a lot of towels.

2) use a relatively expensive wet/dry (canadian tire has some good ones for around $100)

3) use a bissel little green machine (again, $99)

4) get a pro extractor (lots of $$)

I use a combo of 3 and three. The only thing I really ever use on carpets and cloth is woolite mixed 5:1 with water (regular ol\' laundry detergent woolite), it works great and is a very popular solution. I use the little green machine on really tough spots. I think for a dyi on your own vehicles a decent 3-4hp wet/dry shop vac would be perfect, though.

Here is a long link to one that would probably be very sufficient.

(http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=253437430 3517799&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474396670271&bm UID=1146078410393&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441895 735&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true)

jdanielsg
04-26-2006, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by picus

Originally posted by jdanielsg

I think there are pretty much 4 ways to go about this.

1) dry van then use a spot remover and a lot of towels.

2) use a relatively expensive wet/dry (canadian tire has some good ones for around $100)

3) use a bissel little green machine (again, $99)

4) get a pro extractor (lots of $$)

I use a combo of 3 and three. The only thing I really ever use on carpets and cloth is woolite mixed 5:1 with water (regular ol\' laundry detergent woolite), it works great and is a very popular solution. I use the little green machine on really tough spots. I think for a dyi on your own vehicles a decent 3-4hp wet/dry shop vac would be perfect, though.

Here is a long link to one that would probably be very sufficient.

(http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=253437430 3517799&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474396670271&bm UID=1146078410393&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441895 735&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true)

ooh thanks for the great info.. :) this may sound stupid but like for home vacs... they spew out water and they sucks it back it.. so when u use this wet n dry vac..... you have to use a bucket n water n scrub by hand wet it all up then use the vac to suck it up?

picus
04-27-2006, 08:56 AM
That\'s right. A wet/dry is suck only, so you treat the stains yourself, scrub them, then suck out the excess with the vac. The alternative is something like the Little Green Machine, which does what you mentioned (shoots out warm water with soap, then sucks the dirty back up).

jdanielsg
04-27-2006, 11:03 AM

That\'s right. A wet/dry is suck only, so you treat the stains yourself, scrub them, then suck out the excess with the vac. The alternative is something like the Little Green Machine, which does what you mentioned (shoots out warm water with soap, then sucks the dirty back up).

So do you think just the little green machine will do the job? That way I can save hassle and money of buying a shop vac which only sucks, which doesnt do much for me at home. theres also aversion of the deep cleaner which works for the home.. the canister version for 199 on the bissell website sounds like a good option if I want the option of cleaning at home too. :)

Do you use that mixture of solution in the green machine as well? do you just mix it up and load it into the detergent compartment? or do you use the actual stuff from bissell

THANKS !! let me know and I\'ll go to sears buy one and try it out :)

picus
04-27-2006, 12:39 PM
Well it depends on the job you\'re trying to complete. I\'ve yet to meet the interior the LGM can\'t tackle at least 99% of. It\'s a pretty tough machine. Here\'s a link to a guy recently who used one on an absolutely abysmal interior, just for some visual reassurance.

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=70421

The fact that it took out those rust stains says a lot.

So ya, I\'d say get the LGM, use a regular dry vac for dry vacuuming in the car, and use the LGM for tough stains in the car and around the house.

The machine comes with some solution from bissel, which I used until it was gone, then I started using woolite in it in varying degrees of strength based on what I was trying to remove.

Cheers.

jdanielsg
04-27-2006, 12:45 PM

Well it depends on the job you\'re trying to complete. I\'ve yet to meet the interior the LGM can\'t tackle at least 99% of. It\'s a pretty tough machine. Here\'s a link to a guy recently who used one on an absolutely abysmal interior, just for some visual reassurance.

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=70421

The fact that it took out those rust stains says a lot.

So ya, I\'d say get the LGM, use a regular dry vac for dry vacuuming in the car, and use the LGM for tough stains in the car and around the house.

The machine comes with some solution from bissel, which I used until it was gone, then I started using woolite in it in varying degrees of strength based on what I was trying to remove.

Cheers.

WOW thats freaking impressive. I am so going to get it later this afternoon, I will take picstures hehe but my car aint THAT dirty so will see if the camera captures it well enough.

BtwTHANKS !!! again for the help. Much appreciated. Its rare nowadays that you get usefull responses to posts on forums.

picus
04-27-2006, 09:15 PM
No problem - I love talking shop.

I look forward to seeing your pics. :)

jdanielsg
04-27-2006, 09:25 PM
So far I have not started on the car but I did do the stock trunk carpet and the premium trunk carpet I did both upstairs at home and they turned out great. I also did my winter door mats they r a bitch to vacum normally and they both turned out fantastic as well no more salt etc

picus
04-28-2006, 02:04 PM
Hah, nice. Next thing you know you\'ll be over at Autopia asking about pro extractors. :)

jdanielsg
04-30-2006, 01:22 PM
Hey man sent you a PM :)