PDA

View Full Version : Door Sills

Mazda3_06
04-29-2006, 09:13 PM
hi i wanted to know where do i run the wires for the door sills
and do i take off the plastic thats on the bottom the sill?
thanks
b

ds2chan
04-29-2006, 10:32 PM
I\'m sure this will help.. courtesy of majic..
http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=3036

Optimzer
04-30-2006, 10:14 AM
depending on if you have a sedan or hatch the place where you power up the door sill from may differ. for the hatch, powering from the rear-left was easiest imo. If you have a sedan that may involve taking the roof-liner out.

just go slowly and be patient! make sure you don\'t have anywhere important to get to or to do so that you\'re not rushed.

txyu
04-30-2006, 11:44 PM
Hey guys,

can you help?
I installed mine the other day...bought them a year ago but only found time to do them just recently...

I have a sedan..2004...I followed the install steps from another forum...

installed everything...but nothing will light up...checked all wiring for power with a voltmeter and everything checks out...

Now...there\'s transformers for each sill right? 4? cause that\'s what I got from the guy on Ebay...Abalonepoon...

I wired from the map light housing
used tap connector on green/orange wire...attached green 10cm extension wire...attached green wire from 6m wire...attached to black wires of transformers...attached to door sills

used tap connector on black/red wire...attached red 10cm extension wire...attached red wire from 6m wire...attached to red wires of transformers..attached to door sills

nothing lit up...so I get a voltmeter from a friend to test out connections...

I checked all connections to see if there was power...everything was good till after the transformer... (I cut a little bit of the rubber coating to test) and I get nothing...is that supposed to happen???

I don\'t know what else to do and it\'s driving me insane...

Please help me get a little light in my life....

Thanks
Tim

Originally posted by Optimzer

depending on if you have a sedan or hatch the place where you power up the door sill from may differ. for the hatch, powering from the rear-left was easiest imo. If you have a sedan that may involve taking the roof-liner out.

just go slowly and be patient! make sure you don\'t have anywhere important to get to or to do so that you\'re not rushed.

majic
05-01-2006, 09:44 AM
txyu,

3 of my 4 sills lit up.. then i figured i must have made a wiring booboo :) and if i recall correctly, one of the \'black boxes\' (transformers) was wired backwards, and that\'s all it was.. start with reversing the one closest to the power source..

txyu
05-01-2006, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by majic

txyu,

3 of my 4 sills lit up.. then i figured i must have made a wiring booboo :) and if i recall correctly, one of the \'black boxes\' (transformers) was wired backwards, and that\'s all it was.. start with reversing the one closest to the power source..

hmm...my transformers came with wires on one end...and a snap in attachment into the door sill on the other end...

so...by backwards do you mean switch the wires attached to the main power wire...so...if I had red-red and green-black....to red-black and green-red?

or cut the snap in off and attach it to the other side?

majic
05-01-2006, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by txyu

Originally posted by majic

txyu,

hmm...my transformers came with wires on one end...and a snap in attachment into the door sill on the other end...

so...by backwards do you mean switch the wires attached to the main power wire...so...if I had red-red and green-black....to red-black and green-red?

or cut the snap in off and attach it to the other side?

oh.. my transformers came with 2 stripped wires.. one going to power and the other one to sill (IIRC) .. and since you hooked it up to the map lights, i don\'t know if you got the right wires..

i remember the wire in the pictures on M3F was different in colour than the one i had to tap into :sarc (for example, orange with silver dotted line vs. reddish with yellow line through it)

txyu
05-01-2006, 10:07 AM
Weird...

everything was exactly as posted by the instructions...same color wires and everything...

I think it\'s the transformers but I don\'t know...

I tried even cutting the snap ins on both door sill and transformer and wired them directly and still nothing....

I will try switching the main wires to the power source to the transformer and see if that works

If wired correctly, I should be able to test for power on the lines after the transformer right? so if I cut away a little of the housing on both wires, I should get something...especially if I have power coming from mains?

KenYork
05-01-2006, 07:32 PM
try testing the door sill with an external power source and change the direction of the electrical current to see which way makes it work

mazda3boss
05-08-2006, 02:15 AM
at first when i did mine, nothin would light up so i got rid of the tap connectors, and connected the wires right onto the map light wires and they worked... somethin about those tap connectores that didint make them light up

txyu
05-08-2006, 10:43 AM
k...I\'ll try a direct connection and lose the tap ins and see how that works