PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with any black Mazda caliper decals?

ElPietro
06-22-2006, 09:17 AM
I PM\'d redraptor I guess around 3 weeks ago, and haven\'t received a reply. I understand he was on vacation, and perhaps still isn\'t back?

So thought I\'d ask here, and see if people had 4 spares or anyone else sells them. I know I can order from xenonmods.com, but thought I\'d check if I could get them quicker from one of you first.

Painted the front calipers last night, which took way longer than it should have.

Dunno if it\'s because mine are brand spanking new or not, but the paint didn\'t like certain spots on the caliper. Not sure if it was drying as it should have or not, but there was like, one dead spot on the main \"meaty\" part of the caliper that just wouldn\'t take paint.

I put 3 full coats, a 4th coat that was most of the caliper, and then a 5th touch up coat, and still that one part wouldn\'t hold paint. Not really noticeable with the wheel on but I\'ll have to see how it looks in the sun today and judge whether I\'ll have to take the wheels off again, and redo parts of it.

I\'ll post pics when they are all done, and perhaps have the decals on as well.

majic
06-22-2006, 09:24 AM
RedRaptor hasn\'t been checking TM3 much lately (busy) but when i see him online i\'ll let him know.. as far as the paint not holding.. what paint did you use? brush or spray? i remember waiting about 15-20 min b/w coats and i only needed 2 coats and they look great.. spraying was easy.. make sure to start the spray stroke BEFORE the caliper and finish after it.. and don\'t let the paint drip or it\'ll look like ass..

ElPietro
06-22-2006, 09:38 AM
It was the duplicolour kit, with brush.

Brush really sucked too, so now I need to find a hobby shop around here.

The paint was really thin, so first coat was barely anything on the calipers, i kept it real thin.

It might also be the fact that I\'m using yellow, and I think I recall from my painting days, that yellow is the worst colour for coverage, requiring many coats.

Also, might be that since my calipers are new, there are lots of sharp-ish edges, that are difficult for paint to adhere to. But that one dead spot on the caliper didn\'t make much sense. It wasn\'t too bad on the other caliper.

Oh well, will check today and see how they look. I\'m assuming it\'s not too tough to put the decal on through the spokes of the stock rims? Or would you take the wheels off again?

Anyway, thanks! If he tells me where to be I\'d pick them up any time in the evening, and drive to wherever he lives or wants to meet.

majic
06-22-2006, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by ElPietro

It was the duplicolour kit, with brush.

Brush really sucked too, so now I need to find a hobby shop around here.

The paint was really thin, so first coat was barely anything on the calipers, i kept it real thin.

It might also be the fact that I\'m using yellow, and I think I recall from my painting days, that yellow is the worst colour for coverage, requiring many coats.

Also, might be that since my calipers are new, there are lots of sharp-ish edges, that are difficult for paint to adhere to. But that one dead spot on the caliper didn\'t make much sense. It wasn\'t too bad on the other caliper.

Oh well, will check today and see how they look. I\'m assuming it\'s not too tough to put the decal on through the spokes of the stock rims? Or would you take the wheels off again?

Anyway, thanks! If he tells me where to be I\'d pick them up any time in the evening, and drive to wherever he lives or wants to meet.

aaah.. the kit.. did you stirr the paint? does it need stirring? you should have sanded or wire brushed the calipers (although most of us do it to get rid of the rust/dirt but it would be a nice primer)

I emailed him with the link to this thread so he should see it at some point :)

Cardinal Fang
06-22-2006, 10:43 AM
You can also buy the decals here.

http://www.xenonmods.com/

majic
06-22-2006, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Cardinal Fang

You can also buy the decals here.

http://www.xenonmods.com/

Originally posted by ElPietro

So thought I\'d ask here, and see if people had 4 spares or anyone else sells them. I know I can order from xenonmods.com, but thought I\'d check if I could get them quicker from one of you first.

Cardinal Fang
06-22-2006, 11:20 AM
Fine then!

I\'m a moron.

ElPietro
06-22-2006, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by majic
aaah.. the kit.. did you stirr the paint? does it need stirring? you should have sanded or wire brushed the calipers (although most of us do it to get rid of the rust/dirt but it would be a nice primer)

I emailed him with the link to this thread so he should see it at some point :)

Yep, stirred it for like a minute initially, as per instructions. Then would stir for 5-10 seconds whenever i started a new coat.

As for the calipers, they were still sparkling clean. I sprayed the caliper cleaner on it, and used a toothbrush which seemed pointless.

They look nice today though when I took the car out. I can see that one deadspot though. I will do the rears tonight or tomorrow, and then give it a day or two for both to be cured and then maybe touch up all four if need be.

Thanks for sending the email!

vanpatrick81
06-22-2006, 04:39 PM
I just painted mine 2 weeks ago. Although I used the spray type. Made sure everything was clean by using break cleaners then started spraying. The first spray already stuck to it no problem.

Maybe go with the spray type.

bubba1983
06-22-2006, 08:05 PM
ruff up the surface of the calipers either with a wire brush or sanpaper...that may help your adhersion problem (sp?)