PDA

View Full Version : Where to get brake pads replaced

Sammy
07-04-2006, 11:01 AM
I think my front set of brake pads are getting close to wearing out. Mazda wants to charge big $$ just to inspect my brakes. So rather than them getting inspected, I thought I would just get them replaced. The question is where to get them replaced? should I get them done at Mazda (Avante), Miduss, Walmart, Canadian Tire or ???? (any suggestions). And what type of brake pads would you reccomend?

majic
07-04-2006, 11:50 AM
how many km do you have?

depending on the TYPE of driving you do (hard braking, riding the brakes, highway mainly, etc) your stock rears will last you about 50,000km (i had about 2-3mm left when i took mine off) your fronts should last a lot more (about 80-100K if not more)

my buddy at speedy did my brakes and i used Hawks HPS but you can try EBC greens (they are cheaper than stock and offer similarly better performance)

Sammy
07-06-2006, 12:16 PM
?

Sammy
07-06-2006, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the info Majic. I ended going to Speedy as well. My fronts had about 80% left and my rear brakes had 10-15% left. So I ended up replacing my rears with Raybestos brake pads. They also had to machine the rotors (is that standard). It ended up costing me over $300 + tax. I guess its better to be proactive than having a major problem later on.

majic
07-06-2006, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Sammy

Thanks for the info Majic. I ended going to Speedy as well. My fronts had about 80% left and my rear brakes had 10-15% left. So I ended up replacing my rears with Raybestos brake pads. They also had to machine the rotors (is that standard). It ended up costing me over $300 + tax. I guess its better to be proactive than having a major problem later on.

raybestos.. i hear they are quiet and less dust and perform like stocks.. machining the rotors, now that i don\'t know.. mine were pretty smooth so i didn\'t get mine done, but some people go as far as replacing the rotors (some are warped)

FLIPDADY
07-06-2006, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by majic

raybestos.. i hear they are quiet and less dust and perform like stocks.. machining the rotors, now that i don\'t know.. mine were pretty smooth so i didn\'t get mine done, but some people go as far as replacing the rotors (some are warped)
One thing about Raybestos pads is that they are a little hard on the rotors but overall a good OEM replacement.

I think the main reason many people replace the rotors instead of machining them is the cost. I know machining them is 2 hrs. labour which at our dealer is $180.00. While replacing them is 1.5 hours labour at $132.30. Add to that the cost of the rotors $127.42 for the pair. The difference is $79.72.

Skarbro
07-06-2006, 11:12 PM
OMG Is THAT what it costs to get pads and rotors replaced by a shop? I have always done them myself in my driveway. Labour costs = $zilch. :D

lukel90
07-12-2006, 02:04 PM
i agree with skarbro, changing pads is one of the easiest things to do. if you have a bicycle with disc brakes, changing the bike and car pads is scary its so similar. change your pads in ypour driveway. it will take you 1 hour if you\'ve never done it...30 min if you have..you\'ll have no problems unless your really mechanically handycapped....those prices are crazy...

SABIO
07-15-2006, 02:05 AM
$300!!! that\'s what it costs now to get raped:D

Should have read this Quality work + Great Rates (http://torontomazda3.com/forum/read.php?TID=5952)