PDA

View Full Version : Strobes...

3GFX
07-04-2006, 12:14 PM
I\'d like to put blue strobes on the car in the lamps. I was thinking fog lights, and reverse lights. Has anyone done this yet? Any suggestions on where to put the bulbs instead of the places I\'ve suggested? Also where is a good place to get someone to do the install?

Thanks

bluntman
07-04-2006, 12:59 PM
Blue strobes? You may just as well stick a plough onto the front of your car because flashing blue lights are only permitted for use on a snow vehicle.

Highway Traffic Act
Flashing blue light on snow-removal equipment

(31) No person shall, while operating a road service vehicle on a highway, plow, salt or de-ice the highway or apply chemicals or abrasives to the highway for snow or ice control unless the road service vehicle is equipped with a lamp producing intermittent flashes of blue light visible for a distance of 150 metres from all directions. 1996, c. 33, s. 11.

Restriction on use of flashing blue light

(32) No person shall operate a lamp that produces intermittent flashes of blue light on a highway except in the circumstances described in subsection (31). 1996, c. 33, s. 11.

TheProfessor
07-04-2006, 01:10 PM
Why would you want strobe lights as your fogs and/or reverse lights.....are you entering a rice competition?

cyberscorpi0
07-04-2006, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by TheProfessor

Why would you want strobe lights as your fogs and/or reverse lights.....are you entering a rice competition?

What\'s a \"Rice Competition\"?

bluntman
07-04-2006, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by cyberscorpi0

Pare, ano ba? R-I-C-E...bigas! ;)

Seriously, it must be a K-W thing.

cyberscorpi0
07-04-2006, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by bluntman

Originally posted by cyberscorpi0

Pare, ano ba? R-I-C-E...bigas! ;)

I can probably compete on that league :p
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h149/cyberscorpi0/RICE.jpg

3GFX
07-04-2006, 02:33 PM
Ok, I won\'t be using them while driving, and I don\'t plan on replacing the stock bulbs, just inserting new bulbs (in same housing). I could always do white, if blue is illegal. I also don\'t plan on any \"rice\" competitions, lol. I just think it would be a neet and different touch to the car...so any suggestions?

bluntman
07-04-2006, 02:58 PM
Flashing white lights are illegal, they are only meant for emergency vehicles

Alternating beams

Emergency vehicles

169. (1) Despite section 168, highbeam headlamps that produce alternating flashes of white light may be used by a public utility emergency vehicle while responding to an emergency and by an emergency vehicle as defined in subsection 144 (1). R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 169 (1).

Alternating highbeams on other vehicles prohibited

(2) No person shall use highbeam headlamps that produce alternating flashes of white light on any vehicle other than a vehicle referred to in subsection (1). R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 169 (2).

3GFX
07-04-2006, 03:07 PM
Why does Canadian Tire sell this stuff???? LMAO!!! I\'m frustrated now, he he. At least it saves work. BUT is it seriously illegal if you\'re not \'rolling\'??

(bluntman, I\'m expecting a blunt answer)
(then I expect facts ;) lol)

bluntman
07-04-2006, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by 3GFX

Why does Canadian Tire sell this stuff???? LMAO!!! I\'m frustrated now, he he. At least it saves work. BUT is it seriously illegal if you\'re not \'rolling\'??

(bluntman, I\'m expecting a blunt answer)
(then I expect facts ;) lol)

Check the packaging of the product, it will most likely read \"For off-road use only\".

3GFX
07-04-2006, 03:33 PM
I will next time I\'m in the store, and I\'ll post again...:zzz

Xenon
07-04-2006, 08:02 PM
I\'m pretty sure than ANY flashing light (turn signals excepted) ANYWHERE on the car is illegal. Although there is no portion of the HTA that states it, I am pretty sure that the following restrictions are found somewhere in the HTA and those restrictions, severely limit what kind of additional lights you may want to add to the car.

In reference to the FRONT of the car:
- You can\'t have more than 4 forward facing lights on at a time
- All forward facing lights have to produce a white colour (with the exception of the next point).
- All cars must have a white or amber light illuminating the front and side of the vehicle.
- No car should have alternating highbeams or forward flashing lights unless it is an emergency vehicle.

In reference to the REAR of the car:
- All cars must have taillights which glow red at night, and drivers are required to have them illumunated 1/2 after sundown, through, and 1/2 after sunrise.
- All cars must have rear turn signals which illuminate white, red or amber.
- All cars must have sufficient white lighting to illuminate the licence plate.

Here are some quotes from the HTA (found at http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/DBLaws/Statutes/English/90h08_e.htm#BK104

62. (1) When on a highway at any time from one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less, every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle shall carry three lighted lamps in a conspicuous position, one on each side of the front of the vehicle which shall display a white or amber light only, and one on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (1).

(14) Subject to subsection (15), no person shall use a lamp, other than the vehicular hazard warning signal lamps commonly known as four way flashers, that produces intermittent flashes of red light. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (14).

(15) In addition to the lighting requirements in this Part, a vehicle described in subsection (15.1) may carry lamps that cast a red light only or such other colour of light that may, with the approval of the ministry, be designated by a by-law of the municipality in which the vehicle is operated, but no other motor vehicle shall carry any lamp that casts a red light to the front. 1998, c. 35, s. 103.

(19) The lamp on the rear of a motor vehicle or trailer shall be of at least three candela and shall be so placed that it will, at any time from one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less, illuminate the numbers on the number plate, or, if provision is made on the number plate or on any attachment furnished or required by the Ministry for affixing the lamp, it shall be affixed in the position or space provided, and the lamp shall face to the rear and reflect on the number plate a white light only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (19). **Sorry BOD Boys!

Xerox
07-04-2006, 08:31 PM
I also think that any flashing light is illegal while driving but okay when parked.
It\'s also kinda rice (most things are if you buy it at Crappy Tire\'s automotive \"performance\" dept.) but if you like it...it\'s your car. I think a good place would be in the headlight where the city lights would go. Drill a hole and stick the strobe light in through there.

Xenon
07-04-2006, 09:06 PM
I agree. 3GFX, it\'s your car. Do what you think you will be most happy with. Hear other\'s advice and opinions, but don\'t allow them to shape what is \"your\" car.

Doing what YOU want to YOUR car is what makes it unique. If everyone did the same things to their car, it would be pretty boring :p.

My previous post was just to inform you about the laws and regulations regarding such a mod. It\'s not that I wouldn\'t want to see it on your car, I just don\'t want you getting in trouble for it. :D

3GFX
07-05-2006, 11:29 AM
Thx for the replies everyone!

Although most were just to reassure me that what I\'d like to do is illegal, and on top of that (as I knew already) my blue led plate light is illegal. I agree that strobes can be rice, but no one has done it on there 3 yet, and tastefully done it could add to the car. It seems like it we\'ll be a lot of work, so I might scrap the idea.

I really can\'t do anything at the moment and my CAI is put on hold because the money I had been saving had to go to a new cell phone because my last one went on the fritz :(