PDA

View Full Version : Sub Install Questions

Skarbro
07-11-2006, 08:04 AM
I\'ve searched, but with all the posts on stereo installs, it only confuses me more. In all my years modding cars, I\'ve never gotten into stereo mods. I can change a water pump, but I know very little about car stereos... :D

I want to know step-by-step what is needed to install just a sub with the stock HU. Do I need an LOC? How exactly does that hook up to the HU? What should I get for an amp? Do I need an amp?

I\'m not looking to make a kick-ass system - just want to add a simple sub for the stock system.

TheProfessor
07-11-2006, 08:15 AM
If you only intend on adding a sub then you would likely need the following:

1) An external amplifier with one or more channels
2) A subwoofer (or subwoofers)
3) An amplifier wiring kit (unless you want to piece together all of the components seperately)
4) An enclosure for the sub(s) - could be a generic box, custom built box, or one of those fancy moulded fibreglass enclosures
5) Depending on the amplifier (whether or not it has high-level, or speaker level inputs) you will need a line output converter (LOC). A two channel unit will do, a four channel unit would allow you to expand in the future.

Now, as for which brands/models of equipment to buy, the sky is the limit. First figure out how much you want to spend, and next what are you looking for in terms of sound quality? Do you want bass so loud that your neighbors will hear it, or simply to \'fill out\' the sound?

In all honesty I would suggest visiting a stereo shop (such as Lockdown) and let them help you plan/install the whole thing. If you really want to tackle this on your own, then I\'m sure there are a number of members, myself included, who would be willing to help you out.

Skarbro
07-11-2006, 08:40 AM
Thanks. I am just looking to fill out the sound as you say. Not looking to crack the pavement or anything. Also, I don\'t plan on upgrading the system any further after that. Going to run the stock speakers into the ground.

So there is an output on the stock HU that I hook up the LOC to?

bluntman
07-11-2006, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by TheProfessor

If you only intend on adding a sub then you would likely need the following:

1) An external amplifier with one or more channels
2) A subwoofer (or subwoofers)
3) An amplifier wiring kit (unless you want to piece together all of the components seperately)
4) An enclosure for the sub(s) - could be a generic box, custom built box, or one of those fancy moulded fibreglass enclosures
5) Depending on the amplifier (whether or not it has high-level, or speaker level inputs) you will need a line output converter (LOC). A two channel unit will do, a four channel unit would allow you to expand in the future.

Now, as for which brands/models of equipment to buy, the sky is the limit. First figure out how much you want to spend, and next what are you looking for in terms of sound quality? Do you want bass so loud that your neighbors will hear it, or simply to \'fill out\' the sound?

In all honesty I would suggest visiting a stereo shop (such as Lockdown) and let them help you plan/install the whole thing. If you really want to tackle this on your own, then I\'m sure there are a number of members, myself included, who would be willing to help you out.

+1 What the TheProf said.

In addition, you will need an amp, unless you go with a powered sub like the Infinity BassLink or Kenwood wOOx (http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/reviews/20040413/bass_reviews.html) units. Of course their low end performance is nothing compared to a dedicated amp and enclosed sub combination.

Originally posted by Skarbro

Thanks. I am just looking to fill out the sound as you say. Not looking to crack the pavement or anything. Also, I don\'t plan on upgrading the system any further after that. Going to run the stock speakers into the ground.

So there is an output on the stock HU that I hook up the LOC to?

The stock HU only has speaker wires running out the back. The LOC connects to those wires and converts the high level signal (speakers) to a low level signal (RCA) that an amp can use.

A typical Line-out Converter (LOC)
http://www.mp3playerstore.com/player/1-ACC/HL-50/1.jpg
http://www.mp3playerstore.com/player/1-ACC/HL-50/3.jpg
Speaker inputs on one end and RCA outputs on the other end

Skarbro
07-11-2006, 08:49 AM
Ah I see.

So, I splice into the wires going to say the rear speakers? Then run the new wires into the LOC?

bluntman
07-11-2006, 08:53 AM

Ah I see.

So, I splice into the wires going to say the rear speakers? Then run the new wires into the LOC?

From the LOC you\'d run a pair of RCAs to the amp.

Skarbro
07-11-2006, 09:18 AM
Ok I think I got it now:

Stock HU
|
|
LOC (spliced into stock speaker wires)
|
|
Amp
|
|
Sub

Seems pretty simple. Now I just have to figure out the correct specs of stuff to get.

TheProfessor
07-11-2006, 09:45 AM

Ok I think I got it now:

Stock HU
|
|
LOC (spliced into stock speaker wires)
|
|
Amp
|
|
Sub

Seems pretty simple. Now I just have to figure out the correct specs of stuff to get.

Correct. Before deciding on equipment, you should really plan your budget.

Broli
07-12-2006, 03:40 AM
keep an eye on the for sale section on this board
and TOP
and others!

u will find some good deals on subs and amps
no need to go new, if u don\'t want to!

then all u will need is the kit and the LOC!

and the Prof to install it for ya!

lol
j/k

TheProfessor
07-12-2006, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Broli

keep an eye on the for sale section on this board
and TOP
and others!

u will find some good deals on subs and amps
no need to go new, if u don\'t want to!

then all u will need is the kit and the LOC!

and the Prof to install it for ya!

lol
j/k

Hey, I\'d be more than happy to help.....it\'s finding the spare time that\'s the hard part! And Broli is correct, for certain items, used is definately a great option. Amplifiers for instance are generally a safe bet as they contain no working parts and usually either work or don\'t. Subwoofers can get a bit more tricky since they have moving parts and come in a variety of configurations (singe and dual voice coil) with difference impedences.

If you want to do some more homework check out www.canadiancaraudio.com

Skarbro
07-12-2006, 08:39 AM
Thanks for all the help. I\'m going to try to tackle this myself. I like to learn new things.