PDA

View Full Version : Mazdaspeed CAI - Tech Questions and Discussion

jdanielsg
07-19-2006, 11:28 PM
Since I do not see or may have missed, i am making a new one for tech discussions on the CAI.

So apparently it comes with a non oil filter like AEM? AEM contracted to make it?

I asked Joe via email, but i will put this question out here as well. How exactly does the AEM bypass valve work? The valve actuall has to be submerged right? or am I missing something? So if thats true then the only viable location would be after the filter? Someone mentioned this was not possible and only able to install right after the throttle body.

I was thinking of getting the bypass valve if it is usefull and a drycharger or hydroshield from K&N or Injen. On top of the metal splash shield it should make the possibility of a hydrolock very very remote.

Comments?

THANKS

majic
07-20-2006, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by jdanielsg

How exactly does the AEM bypass valve work?

how about you check AEM\'s website? :sarc

The valve actuall has to be submerged right? or am I missing something? So if thats true then the only viable location would be after the filter? Someone mentioned this was not possible and only able to install right after the throttle body.

you must be missing something.. it\'s called a bypass valve for a reason.. the air bypasses the submerged filter and is sucked up via the valve.. so the valve CANNOT be submerged for it to work.. besides if you have water as far as the valve you\'ve got other issues

I was thinking of getting the bypass valve if it is usefull and a drycharger or hydroshield from K&N or Injen. On top of the metal splash shield it should make the possibility of a hydrolock very very remote.

why not just keep the car stock then? the \'gains\' from the CAI will be negated by the losses via the bypass valve, the extra heat created by the hydroshield and all the *****footing around water and hydrolocking...

jdanielsg
07-20-2006, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by majic

How exactly does the AEM bypass valve work?

how about you check AEM\'s website? :sarc

The valve actuall has to be submerged right? or am I missing something? So if thats true then the only viable location would be after the filter? Someone mentioned this was not possible and only able to install right after the throttle body.

you must be missing something.. it\'s called a bypass valve for a reason.. the air bypasses the submerged filter and is sucked up via the valve.. so the valve CANNOT be submerged for it to work.. besides if you have water as far as the valve you\'ve got other issues

why not just keep the car stock then? the \'gains\' from the CAI will be negated by the losses via the bypass valve, the extra heat created by the hydroshield and all the *****footing around water and hydrolocking...

Trying to keep water out of your engine is only common sense. If there are products made to prevent water from getting in, one would be rather dumb not to use them. Theres a reason why Mazda delayed the release of the CAI and includes a splash shield. And if you would like to talk about heat, then wouldnt the splash shield contribute to that as well. The water reppelant covers are made not to restrict air flow too much and shouldnt be a problem.

And also the AEM website it says this: \"On most systems, the valve installs along the upper portion of the inlet pipe and shuts down induction at the filter when it becomes submerged, rerouting air through its external diaphragm to keep water out and air flowing in\" If I understood how exactly it shuts down the water polluted air from the filter direction, I would be better able to decide where it would or would not fit, I guess a call to AEM is in order.

That doesnt quite tell me on THIS particular system where I can mount it, I read about between the throttle body and CAI and I would like people who have done it to share their opinions.

And it would be nice if you didnt start and end your reply with sarcasm :)

majic
07-20-2006, 12:44 AM

And also the AEM website it says this: \"On most systems, the valve installs along the upper portion of the inlet pipe and shuts down induction at the filter when it becomes submerged, rerouting air through its external diaphragm to keep water out and air flowing in\" If I understood how exactly it shuts down the water polluted air from the filter direction, I would be better able to decide where it would or would not fit, I guess a call to AEM is in order.

is this what you\'re asking for?

water - filter - pipe - valve - pipe - engine

when the filter is submerged in water, the air will take a path of least resistance and will flow into the intake piping via the bypass valve and into the engine..

click.. then click on the left yellow icon in the bottom right.. then click on the lower 3 blue cubes (http://www.aempower.com/product_intake.asp?subCatID=3)

since the MS CAI is a one piece pipe, you would have to isntall the bypass valve b/w the TB and the piping provided it would all fit.. or you can cut out a piece of the piping and insert the valve like you would on an AEM CAI..

jdanielsg
07-20-2006, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by majic

is this what you\'re asking for?

water - filter - pipe - valve - pipe - engine

when the filter is submerged in water, the air will take a path of least resistance and will flow into the intake piping via the bypass valve and into the engine..

click.. then click on the left yellow icon in the bottom right.. then click on the lower 3 blue cubes (http://www.aempower.com/product_intake.asp?subCatID=3)

since the MS CAI is a one piece pipe, you would have to isntall the bypass valve b/w the TB and the piping provided it would all fit.. or you can cut out a piece of the piping and insert the valve like you would on an AEM CAI..

ah ok i c, so the pipes r supposed to fit into the bypass vavle... hmmmm now hard to say if the throttle body will fit like that.......... anyone here installed the bypass valve? some experience actually having it installed would help. i am prob bringing the CAI to the shop for them to install later today.