PDA

View Full Version : Possible duty on exhaust?

DeLaY_NoMoRe
08-06-2006, 11:06 PM
Hi everyone, I\'m planning to buy the Magnaflow cat-back from CVR. I\'d already asked them about the in-border shipping within Canada for the purpose of avoiding duty charges but they told the option does not exist. So now I would have to face the fact that I\'ll have to pay duties for acrossing the border. Does anyone know how much will that cost me approx.? given that the exhaust is for US$400. Any input or experience will be appreciated? Thanks......

MazdaTree
08-06-2006, 11:29 PM
i got charged $77 from Fedex I believe! I also ordered mine from cvr!

doughboyr6
08-07-2006, 02:26 PM
i\'m somewhat new, but isn\'t CVR a canadian retailer? there should be no tax charged shipping within canada....only the residents of that particular province would have to pay tax where the retailer is situated...unless CVR is ontario....i thought they were out west??

from what i know, that\'s how it should work....

sp3GT
08-07-2006, 05:14 PM
I\'ve bought stuff through ebay from the states, the most I\'ve ever got charged for taxes was 15%. So the most IF you get charged should be 14% of the $400.
I bought an AEM intake from eBay for $190, and I had to pay around $30 for taxes and a $5 customs fee; it was from the states too.
How did you get charged $77?:sarc

MajesticBlueNTO
08-07-2006, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by MazdaTree

i got charged $77 from FedexI believe! I also ordered mine from cvr!

Originally posted by sp3GT
I\'ve bought stuff through ebay from the states, the most I\'ve ever got charged for taxes was 15%. So the most IF you get charged should be 14% of the $400.
I bought an AEM intake from eBay for $190, and I had to pay around $30 for taxes and a $5 customs fee; it was from the states too.
How did you get charged $77?:sarc

read the man\'s post. he got charged $77 from FEDEX. you got charged by Canada Customs because, based on your $5 customs fee, the shipper sent your package by USPS.

FEDEX and UPS will charge you a \'brokerage fee\' which is based on the declared value of the package (they pay the taxes charged on the CAN$ value and then add more to make a profit on it).

next time you buy something from the states, ask the seller to send it UPS or FEDEX to experience highway robbery at its finest :sarc

bubba1983
08-07-2006, 06:58 PM
..and cvr isn\'t canadian...their yankees!:p

LADY5SPD
08-07-2006, 07:16 PM
UPS charged me $108.54 for shipping my Magnaflow cat-back from CVR

DeLaY_NoMoRe
08-07-2006, 10:43 PM
WTF? $110 for additional duty? Why don\'t I just then blow another $50 for a genuine MS exhaust......that\'s rip off......

mEtH
08-07-2006, 11:23 PM
depends on what you want. Have you checked any canadian shops for the exhaust? So you originally decided on Magnaflow because its $50 cheaper? sounds to me like someone is trying to save their cash :p j/k man, you just know if it wasn\'t me to bug you then it would be SAB\'s

MS - 2.25\" piping
Magnaflow - 2.25\" piping
Vibrant - 2.5\" piping

I think Vibrant has the nicest sound but is the loudest of all. The Mazdaspeed will be the quietest if thats what you are looking for. And well I have never been a fan of the Magnaflow on our cars...

My .02

*EDIT*
Magnaflow is 2.25\"

CoolColombian
08-08-2006, 12:17 AM
Isn\'t the Magnaflow 2.25\" like the MS one?

MazdaTree
08-08-2006, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by CoolColombian

Isn\'t the Magnaflow 2.25\" like the MS one?

yup

MajesticBlueNTO
08-08-2006, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by methodyst

depends on what you want. Have you checked any canadian shops for the exhaust? So you originally decided on Magnaflow because its $50 cheaper? sounds to me like someone is trying to save their cash :p j/k man, you just know if it wasn\'t me to bug you then it would be SAB\'s

MS - 2.25\" piping
Magnaflow - 2.5\" piping
Vibrant - 2.5\" piping

I think Vibrant has the nicest sound but is the loudest of all. The Mazdaspeed will be the quietest if thats what you are looking for. And well I have never been a fan of the Magnaflow on our cars...

My .02

In addition to being 2.25\" piping, the Magnaflow, by design, *should* be quieter than the Mazdaspeed as the Magnaflow has a resonator after the cat, whereas the Mazdaspeed does not.

Skarbro
08-08-2006, 08:46 AM
Some tricks to pay less on brokerage fees...

Ship it to a business - Businesses pay less for brokerage fees. Sometimes they don\'t notice that the package is for an individual and you get lucky.

Or do what I do - ship it to a buddy in the U.S. and pick it up yourself. I ship all my U.S. bought stuff to my friends in Buffalo. I haven\'t paid duty or brokerage fees in ages! :)

mEtH
08-08-2006, 11:41 AM
Ewww Magnaflow is only 2.25? oi! that puts it even lower on my list :p

Well the comparison from Campeotto\'s Magnaflow to Hypothrml\'s Mazdaspeed seemed to lean quieter for the Mazdaspeed. Magnaflow does have a bigger tip if that matters! :D

Never Enough
09-11-2006, 07:44 PM
For us, Magnaflow is one of two really good options for Canadian customers. There is actually a Magnaflow stocking dealer in Toronto. What we do is we ship to our Canadian customers from their inventory. Its a win-win. The item doesnt cross the border...no duties or brokerage. And, because you\'re ordering it from the states...no taxes either. It ends up being really inexpensive for our Canadian customers to get Magnaflow exhausts. We sell tons of Magnaflows in Canada for this reason.
The other company we deal with is Vibrant. They allow our Canadian customers to pick up the exhausts that they order from us from the Vibrant warehouse. This way it doesnt have to cross the border twice. This is only helpful though if you\'re within a decent driving distance.

doughboyr6
09-11-2006, 08:32 PM
i\'m gonna bring my camera one day and record all the exhauts....same evening, same camera, same distance from the exhaust, no tricks....

i really want to hear them all for myself anyway....

i still haven\'t seen anyone w/ a borla.....i know dokumo (sp?) has a draxas, but haven\'t herd it in person....

Touge Tuning
09-12-2006, 08:12 PM
Items that are manufactured within the US with proof of origin should not be charged ANY duty at all. UPS is pretty much the biggest rip off in the world, they will charge u $30 in border clearance on a package value between 40-100. They have all there fees listed on the www.ups.ca website and its disgusting how much they rip people off. I refuse to use UPS, from past experience Fedex isnt that bad but USPS is ideal because it is handed over to Canada Post at the border and is charged at most $8 fee.

chaser
09-12-2006, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by doughboyr6

i\'m gonna bring my camera one day and record all the exhauts....same evening, same camera, same distance from the exhaust, no tricks....

i really want to hear them all for myself anyway....

i still haven\'t seen anyone w/ a borla.....i know dokumo (sp?) has a draxas, but haven\'t herd it in person....

One of the members, Midnightspeed, has a Bolla Cat-back, but he\'s in Ottawa. Wtom has Draxas too.

Never Enough
09-13-2006, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Stealth1

Items that are manufactured within the US with proof of origin should not be charged ANY duty at all. UPS is pretty much the biggest rip off in the world, they will charge u $30 in border clearance on a package value between 40-100. They have all there fees listed on the www.ups.ca website and its disgusting how much they rip people off. I refuse to use UPS, from past experience Fedex isnt that bad but USPS is ideal because it is handed over to Canada Post at the border and is charged at most $8 fee.

Bad thing with USPS is that they chagre by weight. So, heavier items get expensive very quickly. For shippers, Fed Ex can be a rip-off for international shipments if the recipient doesnt pay the fees. If you flake on paying the fees from Fed Ex....they get sent to the shipper....I dont feel that is right either. Its just a crappy situation no matter who it ships through.