PDA

View Full Version : Car Computer Stand

justin
08-07-2006, 09:53 AM
Here\'s what I\'m thinking:

I\'d like to put a laptop stand in my car for trips, cruises, etc. The idea is to have this setup for the GPS.

There just isn\'t enough room to put my laptop on my lap and its too dangerous to have it sliding around on the leather seats.

Does anyone have a laptop stand or know someone that does, and if so, can they make a recommendation?

I was looking at:

http://www.autolaptoplinkinc.com/

What do you guys think?

whodilly
08-07-2006, 05:00 PM
ok that talking sales rep guy on that web site freaked the shit outta me... *shiver* wow gives me the creeps!

I think those stands are alright but it all depends on the size of your laptop... i don\'t see a 15\" laptop fitting very well as the passenger seat will be comprimized and plus you\'re manual so i think the stand will get in the way.

Chuckie
08-07-2006, 05:22 PM
From what I gather from that site, the mount consists of an adjustable rod that mounts to your passenger seat rails, on top is a piece of plexiglass with a lip so your laptop won\'t slip off.. and a piece of those non slip rubber fabrics that you can get a whole roll of at the dollar store.

The design is simple but very functional.

I think that would be a good solution to what you want to do.

With regards to comprimising the passenger seat and the manual transmission, I think it with some adjustments it would be fine. Some pictures on the site seems to show enough clearance for front passengers and the shifter. Besides he has a short shifter so it\'s much shorter.

Im just worried about the the thing (incl. laptop) interfering with the passenger airbag in event of a collision or the possibility of your passenger hitting the stand during a collision. Also remember that the laptop is not held down by straps, just that rubber non slip stuff so in a collision, the laptop might fly off and hit an occupant in the vehicle. or even worse, the air bag deploys and launches the laptop towards an occupant.

-Chuckie

JMAK74
08-13-2006, 01:45 AM
^^^
You are on the ball Chuckie! Good points.

I\'ve been looking at something similar - with what Chuckie has said, I\'m also wondering the legalities in Ontario (justin, this is your area - gather it\'s okay as you are looking into it, however...) - isn\'t it in Ontario that a TV screen/display screen cannot be pointed at the driver (other than for police/ambulance/emerg vehicles)???

Whodilly - that salesman is freakie - Domo Omo Gato, Mr. Robato....

JK

Broli
08-14-2006, 02:26 PM
i remember reading about this along time ago!

i think on M3F

i seem to recall that the stand begins to sag witht he weight of the laptop

i think it would be good only for temporary use, i.e only on thise trips where u need it!

if you have a passanger, they can have it on their lap
or it can sit in its case on the seat beside you,
either are ideal

but, when its only on occasion, may not be too bad!

an alternative would be to mount a screen on the dash,
say a 7 inch that can suction cup on when needed
place the laptop on the ground or under a seat and
have an output to that screen
i think that would be the easiest

you could get a touchscreen, or a regular,
because theoretically u r not playing with
the controls while driving!

then u have no issues with legality either!

check mp3playerstore.com (www.mp3playerstore.com) for screens
haven\'t been on there in a while
but ususally good prices

Broli
08-14-2006, 02:29 PM
something like this may be good (http://www.mp3playerstore.com/stuff_you_need/special/TM-868.htm)

SourcE
08-14-2006, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by JMAK74
Whodilly - that salesman is freakie - Domo Omo Gato, Mr. Robato....

He\'s following my mouse pointer.....

chinsterr
08-15-2006, 01:08 AM
Im not feeling it , looks like something for police car !!!!

Go the carputer route , i think you\'ll be happier with it