PDA

View Full Version : Engine compartment.....

tommy36
08-13-2006, 09:27 PM
Has anyone cleaned out there engine compartment yet? I want to spray clean mine but i\'m worried about the electrical parts. Does anyone have any suggestions?

CoolColombian
08-13-2006, 11:05 PM
Once a month i use to wash it, just go to the closest coin car wash, open your hood and wash your engine. :p

If you have a CAI just cover the filter with a bag, any Nofrills bag work, if you don\'t have a CAI just pressure wash it and get rid of all the dirt and dust.

I\'ve been doing that since a i bought the car and never had a problem, never! and the engine compartment is looking nice and clean, some of the guys here have seen it, they can tell.

queens49
08-13-2006, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by CoolColombian

Once a month i use to wash it, just go to the closest coin car wash, open your hood and wash your engine. :p

If you have a CAI just cover the filter with a bag, any Nofrills bag work, if you don\'t have a CAI just pressure wash it and get rid of all the dirt and dust.

I\'ve been doing that since a i bought the car and never had a problem, never! and the engine compartment is looking nice and clean, some of the guys here have seen it, they can tell.

When you power wash it, do you have the engine running or shut it off?

CoolColombian
08-13-2006, 11:37 PM
Off, b/c i\'m also washing the whole car :p

But to answer your question properly i wouldn\'t do that with the engine runing b/c of the different temperature ranges between the water and the engine and parts arround, something could crack, don\'t know.

so wash the car first and then, before leave, wash the engine, that way the engine would be a little bit fresh than running.

queens49
08-14-2006, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by queens49

Originally posted by CoolColombian

When you power wash it, do you have the engine running or shut it off?

Cool, thanks. I\'ve been hesitant to wash the engine compartment, since the last time I washed an Intrepid. I didn\'t have the engine running, and I was only using a regular garden house. When I tried to start the car up again, nothing happened. I had to wait a few hours for things to dry out, and then it started.

3GFX
08-14-2006, 11:40 AM
FOR GOD SAKES!!!!

I wouldn\'t recommend powerwashing your engine compartment at anytime!!!! ONE WORD OF WARNING THOUGH!!!! Don\'t wash the engine if it is hot/warm. The difference in temp could potentially crack your headblock. Don\'t be lazy, get in there (when its cool) and use some mild detergent (soap) and a rag and clean it up. Be careful around hot parts, moving parts and electricals. Happy Cleaning!

Skarbro
08-14-2006, 01:34 PM
Yeah I wouldn\'t recommend power washing either.

What I do is cover up all the electrical connectors and put some soapy water with a wash brush. Then very lightly water off the soap with the garden hose. Then I blow off all the excess water right away with my shop vac.

Like 3GFX said - never do it when your engine is hot! You can crack your block that way.

Fuel90
09-04-2006, 09:49 AM
for those afraid of the whole pressure washing lots of water engine cleaning... just be aware that any shop or cleaning company that cleans the engine will be doing it that way. The general \'engine shampoo\' is to spray on a very strong engine degreaser and rinse off...low pressure around any electrical areas + air filter.

Really you have nothing to worry about....as long as you don\'t go to town on it and just blast the heck out of it. older cars are a bit more of a problem.