PDA

View Full Version : STAINLESS STEEL BRAKE LINES

MAZDA Kitten
08-15-2006, 10:44 AM
Whats the purpose of them?
Is it worth the $$$ to upgrade?

3GFX
08-15-2006, 10:48 AM
They add pressure/keep pressure better than regular lines. They hold up better under harsh conditions such as racing. For street use, they are really just a \"i\'ve got these\" mod. Although it would be a rare mod and individualistic if not original (to a mazda 3). Not worth the money and time imo MK, unless you get a big brake kit.

MAZDA Kitten
08-15-2006, 11:10 AM
Oooh I see I see.. okay thanks.

So I guess \"braided brake lines\" are the same shit different pile kinda thing?

3GFX
08-15-2006, 11:16 AM
Its not the same pile kinda thing, more like one of those mods you do, after you do everything else. Like braided lines on stock brakes are pointless. But after new pads, calipers and pistons, then you get the lines. Its like buying performance parts for your car, then rims, then a kit, then a stereo, and finally underglows ;)...ok not the best example :p, but I had to throw it in there again.

MAZDA Kitten
08-15-2006, 12:45 PM
Gotcha... Thanks for the info:)

mEtH
08-15-2006, 02:49 PM
HAHA you are too funny Kitten, sounds like you are trying to find anything possible to change or custom. :p

MAZDA Kitten
08-15-2006, 04:04 PM
LOL
Nahhhh I was just wondering thats all :hoho

But who knows.. next year I might start auto-x\'ing so who knows ;)

majic
08-15-2006, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by MAZDA Kitten

But who knows.. next year I might start auto-x\'ing so who knows ;)

just like you\'ve been trying to drive aggressively for the past 2 years? :sarc :p
if you a-x you won\'t like your fuel economy :D

MAZDA Kitten
08-15-2006, 04:33 PM
SSSIIIIIIIIIAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAPPPPP

lukel90
08-15-2006, 05:06 PM
LOL

that was a good one majic.....

MajesticBlueNTO
08-15-2006, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by 3GFX

They add pressure/keep pressure better than regular lines. They hold up better under harsh conditions such as racing. For street use, they are really just a \"i\'ve got these\" mod. Although it would be a rare mod and individualistic if not original (to a mazda 3). Not worth the money and time imo MK, unless you get a big brake kit.

stainless steel braided brake lines don\'t \'add pressure\' but \'hold pressure\' better.

the braking system is composed of metal lines from the master cylinder up to the wheel well where there are rubber lines to allow for the movement of the wheel assembly.

these rubber lines \"swell\" when there is pressure exerted on them. when you step on the brake pedal, the brake system compresses the brake fluid that pushes on the caliper piston that pushes on the brake pads that squeeze the rotors. the rubber lines, being flexible, will expand when a great amount of pressure is exerted on the fluid.

when the rubber lines expand, the pedal drops (the \'soft\' pedal feel)...not good for racing applications where you tend to stab the brake pedal hard to scrub off speed.

do counter this, what companies have done is put stainless steel braiding around the rubber lines. the lines are then still flexible enough to move with the wheel (suspension and/or turning) BUT the braiding contains the flexing/expansion of the rubber ....this gives the \'firmer\' pedal feel.

will you need it in street use? probably not...but it isn\'t a totally useless mod on a street-only car that will never see the track or be driven aggresively ;)

Flagrum_3
08-17-2006, 09:31 AM

Whats the purpose of them?
Is it worth the $$$ to upgrade?

The question here is..Are you talking \'brake lines\' or \'brake flex hoses\'? If your talking brake lines which carry the fluid to the calipers from the master cylinder then it is probably not worth the cost, but if your talking flex hoses than paying extra to get braided flex hoses is worth it for the sake of brake performance and longevity, especially the latter.If you don\'t plan on keeping your vehicle a longtime or racing it, its probably not worth the cost.

_3

MAZDA Kitten
08-17-2006, 11:49 AM
Initially I was asking about SS brake lines but these flex houses or whatever you speak of have peaked my interested.
Do I have to get specific Mazda3 ones? or is a generic thing

MajesticBlueNTO
08-17-2006, 05:36 PM

Initially I was asking about SS brake lines but these flex houses or whatever you speak of have peaked my interested.
Do I have to get specific Mazda3 ones? or is a generic thing

just to clarify things, the SS brake lines you were initially asking about, and the flex hoses Flagrum referred to, are the same thing.

it is highly unlikely that you will ever have to replace the metal brake lines that go from the master cylinder to just before the caliper....those metal lines are designed to last longer than the car itself and you would see no benefit changing to stainless steel.

aftermarket \"SS brake lines\" are the SS braided hoses that go from the metal brake line to the caliper, as seen in this pic: (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=3219470) <- click link if pic below doesn\'t load

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/337000-337999/337094_279_full.jpg

Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines like the one available here (http://www.therpmstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=92) replace the black rubber hose in the pic above.. they look like this:

http://www.therpmstore.com/images/MZ3_MA1300.jpg

hope that helps.

Flagrum_3
08-17-2006, 08:20 PM
^^^^^ Hey nice pics Majestic,...I wonder what a set of those would cost, any ideas?

_3

Ex-Rolla
08-17-2006, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Flagrum_3

^^^^^ Hey nice pics Majestic,...I wonder what a set of those would cost, any ideas?

_3

Click the Link... $99.

not a bad price.

///M
08-18-2006, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by Ex-Rolla

Originally posted by Flagrum_3

_3

Click the Link... $99.

not a bad price.

I\'ve had those for about 9 months. Bought them from the GB on M3F.

The newer versions come updated with additional brackets and plastic tubing over the braided hose to protect it from possible corrosion, though I haven\'t had any problems with mine. They still look and perform like the first day I installed them. Nicely stiffens up the brake pedal feel, especially under hard braking.

Flagrum_3
08-18-2006, 09:27 AM
How did I miss that link?...duh! Not a bad price at all, was really expecting it to be higher.

_3

MAZDA Kitten
08-18-2006, 10:06 AM
Awesome!
Thanks for all the info guys. Its greatly appreciated.
This sounds like a good mod - is this a driveway job? Easy to install?

KenYork
08-18-2006, 02:39 PM
Will this become a TM3 group buy?

MAZDA Kitten
08-19-2006, 02:05 AM
Wanna start it?? :D

MAZDA Kitten
08-19-2006, 02:05 AM
or maybe someone can ask Tires23 if they can do it or whatever/?

doughboyr6
08-19-2006, 01:52 PM
you may have to flush your system after the swap....its recommended anyway....

its probably different, but i have SS lines on my bike and its probably the cheapest bang for the buck mod IMO (for bikes)

i think because the feel of the brake pedal on the foot compared to the lever at the hand and in the car you\'re strapped in and on the bike you\'re not, it makes a lot more difference on a bike...

but same technology and idealogy...for the street for a car, i don\'t see the need...if you track sure....i never mash on the pedals on the street nor do i go high enough of speed and have to break to have the pedals go all the way in....

i have a whole bunch of sample of braided lines if anyone wants to see in person from http://www.galferusa.com/

they are bike braided lines, but i\'m pretty damn sure they\'ll look very close, maybe different diameter, but same construction....