PDA

View Full Version : How to Cruise control

McGuyver_3
08-17-2006, 12:58 AM
DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK AND COMFORT LEVEL I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG. IF YOU ARE NOT HANDY HAVE SOMEONE INSTALL THIS FOR YOU. THIS IS THE WAY I INSTALLED IT AND HAVE NOT HAD ANY PROBLEMS AT ALL. THIS IS MY WARNING TO YOU

For this install there will be 2 parts one will consist of installing the cruise buttons and the 2nd step will consist of installing the brake pedal shut off.
For this install you will need
1)Ratchet
2)ratchet extension
3)10mm socket
4)22mm socket

Part 1
1)disconect negative battery cable and let the car sit for 30mins
2)remove the 2 rubber gromets on the steering wheel and remove the 2 10mm bolts
3)The airbag should come right out after removing the screws. Disconnect the airbag
and set it aside.
4)Get a 22mm socket and remove the steering wheel nut.
5)remove the steering wheel. If there is no mark on the steeringwheel and the shaft it
is connected to then make a mark easier when you reinstall
6)Remove the backing of the steering wheel (simply clips)
7)remove the cover closest to the passenger has a screw in it. Then remove the audio
control and disconet all wires.
8)Install the audio control and cruise buttons on steering wheel and pop on back cover
9)plug back in all of the wires and put the steering wheel back on. Tighten the 22mm
bolt.
10)Reconnect airbag wires and put airbag back in to place with the 2 10mm screws. Then
put back the rubber gromets.

Part 2
1)unplug the brake pedal sensor
2)twist sensor sideways and pull out
3)insert new sensor and twist
4)plug in brake pedal sensor

When all is done reconnect the Battery Cable and test all of the functions i suggest going for a drive best way to test all functions at once.

N*OT*E* WHEN TESTING CRUISE FOR FIRST TIME BRAKE PEDAL MAY BE A LITTLE BIT STICKY AND MAY NOT WANT TO COME UP ALL THE WAY. PUT YOUR FOOT UNDERNEATH AND PULL IT UP AND AFTER THAT IT SHOULD BE FINE

majic
08-17-2006, 09:08 AM
what about the \'clutch\' sensor? i guess this is for auto only?

btw.. pix would help out a LOT for the DYI.. otherwise it will be moved to mods if nobody else can replicate this (much easier with pix) :)

McGuyver_3
08-17-2006, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by majic

btw.. pix would help out a LOT for the DYI.. otherwise it will be moved to mods if nobody else can replicate this (much easier with pix) :)

To answer your question the clutch sensor is already installed in the car from the factory. I know this because my car has a mannual transmission.
Secondly when i have some time to do pics i will Its just i had to install it on the fly because i was busy. I personally did not wait for the 30 mins because i didnt have time

Pics comming soon

McGuyver_3
08-17-2006, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by my_mazda3

Originally posted by majic

To answer your question the clutch sensor is already installed in the car from the factory. I know this because my car has a mannual transmission.
Secondly when i have some time to do pics i will Its just i had to install it on the fly because i was busy. I personally did not wait for the 30 mins because i didnt have time

Pics comming soon

I do not have my own pictures but i have the next best thing a ink to were pictures are and how it can be done

Here it is the pics (butsadly not mine) (http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=45816.0)

TheLouch
09-04-2006, 07:09 PM
I can confirm that by replacing the break sensor (part# BN7N-66-490) and the steering wheel buttons on my manual ’05 GS Sport I was able to get the cruise control working. There was no need to change any other sensors – the stock clutch, transmission, and throttle sensors work just fine.

The only slight difficulty I had with the installation was with the way I chose to replace the steering wheel buttons. Instead of disconnecting the air bag and completely removing the steering wheel, I drilled a pair of small holes in the back of the steering wheel cover right behind where the screws holding the buttons are located. A great idea in theory, however in practice it ended up being very difficult to access the screws through a small hole while the steering wheel was still attached to the rest of the car – there sure isn’t that much room between the wheel and the dash.

At any rate, this post of the M3F is a fantastic walkthrough for those not feeling adventurous enough to try my “no-airbag-removal” method ;-)
http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=45816.0