PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the injectors at 30K

M3GT
08-17-2006, 12:08 PM
Hello Everyone. I’m a new member and I would like to start by saying that this it’s a great forum.
I have a 2005 Mazda3 GT and a while ago I did the 32K scheduled maintenance (actual mileage 29K or so). The service advisor told me that Mazda recommends cleaning the injectors at 30K; he asked if I would like to do it and I said yes. Does anyone know if this is a real Mazda recommendation or he just pushed some extra service for $89+tax? Thanks.

Chuckie
08-17-2006, 12:16 PM
According to the manual. No.
I don\'t know otherwise.

As for myself, I\'d periodically pour some injector cleaner in that I buy at canadian tire to keep them clean.

edit: oh ya! Welcome!
edit x2: grammar

3GFX
08-17-2006, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Chuckie

According to the manual. No.
I don\'t know otherwise.

As for myself, I\'d periodically pour some injector cleaner in that I buy some canadian tire to keep them clean.

+1...and welcome

M3GT
08-17-2006, 12:32 PM
I know it\'s not in the manual and this is my concern too. I\'m just curious if someone else was advised by the dealership to do the same. It seems to be a little pricy thought for that amount of money. I had my doubts because the whole service team seemed to be new and the guy recommended me to do an $89 job, but he didn\'t see the need to rotate the tires after 8,000 km as recommended by Mazda and common sense. Also, they did the wheels alignment and returned the car with the steering wheel off center. It took me two trips back to the dealership to get it almost right. I’m trying to determine if there is a change in the service personnel’s attitude and competency so I can adapt and take my car to another place for the next service.

FLIPDADY
08-17-2006, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by M3GT

I know it\'s not in the manual and this is my concern too. I\'m just curious if someone else was advised by the dealership to do the same. It seems to be a little pricy thought for that amount of money. I had my doubts because the whole service team seemed to be new and the guy recommended me to do an $89 job, but he didn\'t see the need to rotate the tires after 8,000 km as recommended by Mazda and common sense. Also, they did the wheels alignment and returned the car with the steering wheel off center. It took me two trips back to the dealership to get it almost right. I’m trying to determine if there is a change in the service personnel’s attitude and competency so I can adapt and take my car to another place for the next service.
Which dealership was recommending this?

Chuckie
08-17-2006, 12:35 PM
Where are you taking your car?

M3GT
08-17-2006, 12:36 PM
Prima Mazda.

3GFX
08-17-2006, 01:06 PM
Very odd that you have these issues with them (off line steering, non rotating). I don\'t see why a car that is so young would need its injectors cleaned so substantially. Go to Canadian Tire and grab some STP. That\'s all you\'ll need.

MAZDA Kitten
08-17-2006, 01:17 PM
Whats INJECTOR CLEANING? LOL help My car has 72k and never had injectors cleaned

cyberscorpi0
08-17-2006, 01:21 PM
Hello & Welcome to the Forum \"M3GT\".

I\'m at 46k with regular maintenance and never had an injector clean. ;)

3GFX
08-17-2006, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by MAZDA Kitten

Whats INJECTOR CLEANING? LOL help My car has 72k and never had injectors cleaned

MK you probably should go to Canadian Tire and spend 10$ on STP fuel injector cleaner. You\'ll notice your car will run slightly better. Plus it costs less and is a heck of a lot easier than braided lines.

FLIPDADY
08-17-2006, 01:32 PM
I think the service they are selling is a true injector service not the drop in the tank stuff. We have a similar service where a machine is hooked up into the fuel rail and a 2 part cleaner is put through the system.

I had this done a month ago and noticed an improvement in both mileage and performance. My car had 65,000km on it at the time.

3GFX
08-17-2006, 01:38 PM
For a higher milage car i would see that being a good idea....maybe 75000 plus km.

But until then...once or twice a year...

http://www.partsource.ca/_pdf/flyer.pdf

3rd page, special $3.37

M3GT
08-17-2006, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by 3GFX

Very odd that you have these issues with them (off line steering, non rotating). I don\'t see why a car that is so young would need its injectors cleaned so substantially. Go to Canadian Tire and grab some STP. That\'s all you\'ll need.

This is my point too. My car was running fine and I did not complain about anything. I just asked for the regular maintenance, which I think includes tire rotation by default. The service advisor told me that this is what Mazda recommends and therefore I went for it. Cleaning is always good IMO. Now I\'m trying to determine if he was honest or not in regards to his claim that this is what Mazda recommends, not what he would recommend or what a good practice would be. I cannot stand to be taken advantage of and this is what it appears to be the case here. Besides, he didn\'t tell me the price upfront, which I think he should have done, provided that it wasn’t a negligible amount. This is the second red flag. I share some fault since I did not ask either, but I couldn\'t imagine that it would be so expensive. Anyway, lesson learned and I think I will take my car somewhere else for next service. Not doing the tire rotation is another red flag, and when I noticed they haven’t done it and I asked he started to go in circles. Again, the faces are relatively new in the service department at Prima Mazda.

M3GT
08-17-2006, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by FLIPSPEED

I think the service they are selling is a true injector service not the drop in the tank stuff. We have a similar service where a machine is hooked up into the fuel rail and a 2 part cleaner is put through the system.

I had this done a month ago and noticed an improvement in both mileage and performance. My car had 65,000km on it at the time.

I see. Now, my dilemma is was the service advisor honest when he told me explicitly and repeatedly that this is what MAZDA recommends to be done at 30K, not PRIMA Mazda or him personally? I know some of you guys work from Mazda dealerships and you may have access to this information.

MAZDA Kitten
08-17-2006, 02:25 PM

MK you probably should go to Canadian Tire and spend 10$ on STP fuel injector cleaner. You\'ll notice your car will run slightly better. Plus it costs less and is a heck of a lot easier than braided lines.

LOL
Okay where does it go? Where I pour the horn fluid?

Chuckie
08-17-2006, 02:30 PM
If you add more horn fluid. will our horns sound less wimpy?
I talked to a service advisor at Prima and he told me that it will. :p
j/k.. ^^

back on topic: I don\'t think any new car at 30k should require something like a injector cleaning.

3GFX
08-17-2006, 02:34 PM

LOL

No silly, by the turn signal fluid inlet on the drivers side of the car. Your horn fluid can clearly be contaminated that\'s why the inlet is located under the car. I only use the best synthetic oil for my horn.

queens49
08-17-2006, 02:36 PM

LOL

The next time you fill up, you just pour the bottle into the gas tank. It cleans as you drive.

firstmazda
08-17-2006, 02:38 PM
Make sure you get the summer air in the tires replaced with the proper
winter air by mid-November. Don\'t wanna lose your tire warranty!:D
[/bad joke]

I\'m getting close to 90k now and haven\'t been told to clean my injectors.

MAZDA Kitten
08-17-2006, 02:46 PM

LOL

No silly, by the turn signal fluid inlet on the drivers side of the car. Your horn fluid can clearly be contaminated that\'s why the inlet is located under the car. I only use the best synthetic oil for my horn.

AHhhhhhh gotcha! Thanks for clarifying!
I always get confused between the headlight fluid and the horn fluid! Silly me yes...

3GFX
08-17-2006, 02:49 PM
We must all be really bored, or really nuts....

....anyone out there drunk? :sarc

Chuckie
08-17-2006, 03:06 PM
at 3pm? dude....

M3GT
08-17-2006, 03:11 PM
OK, from all the answers on the topic, it looks like Mazda itself does not really recommend the fuel injectors service at 30K. It seems that either way the new service advisor at Prima Mazda made it up to push a non-required service for $89 or he doesn’t know what he’s doing. In any case, he most likely just lost my business.

3GFX
08-17-2006, 03:12 PM

at 3pm? dude....

lol don\'t worry young colleage not me...it was just a comment so that I woudn\'t discriminate our fellow memebers who may be posting drunk today :D

M3GT
08-17-2006, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by firstmazda

Make sure you get the summer air in the tires replaced with the proper
winter air by mid-November. Don\'t wanna lose your tire warranty!:D
[/bad joke]

I\'m getting close to 90k now and haven\'t been told to clean my injectors.

That\'s a good one. :)
I\'ll take a last special trip to Prima Mazda and inquire about changing the air in my tires with winter air. I bet, he will say sure, and charge me $100.

3GFX
08-17-2006, 03:21 PM
My signal wasn\'t workin so I went to the dealer but was worried he was gonna gouge me. Turned out I only spent 175$. One hour of labor 95$, one light bulb 10$, signal light fluid 70$. Damn good service. Would recommend.

M3GT
08-17-2006, 03:39 PM
Sorry for jumping to another topic. I know there are few separate threads in regards to the rattling glove box issue, and I also know that some of you guys had it replaced. However, I haven\'t seen recent updates whether the problem resurfaced in time or not, after replacement. I have the same problem with mine, but it’s not too bad as of yet. My car is manufactured Feb 05. Unless Mazda changed the design (latch) and/or materials after this date, I would think that most likely the problem would persist even though I get it replaced.
Any feedback? Thanks.

MAZDA Kitten
08-17-2006, 03:47 PM
Is it 5 yet??
Who\'s getting psyched for MOM

FLIPDADY
08-17-2006, 03:53 PM

I see. Now, my dilemma is was the service advisor honest when he told me explicitly and repeatedly that this is what MAZDA recommends to be done at 30K, not PRIMA Mazda or him personally? I know some of you guys work from Mazda dealerships and you may have access to this information.
That would be a Prima Mazda recommended service not a Mazda one. I know which service the advisor was referring to b/c we do the same one at our dealership. Nowhere in the Mazda scheduled maintenance book does it say anything about flushing your fuel injectors.

MAZDA Kitten
08-17-2006, 04:03 PM

Sorry for jumping to another topic. I know there are few separate threads in regards to the rattling glove box issue, and I also know that some of you guys had it replaced. However, I haven\'t seen recent updates whether the problem resurfaced in time or not, after replacement. I have the same problem with mine, but it’s not too bad as of yet. My car is manufactured Feb 05. Unless Mazda changed the design (latch) and/or materials after this date, I would think that most likely the problem would persist even though I get it replaced.
Any feedback? Thanks.

I had rattling glove box; here is how I fixed it (TRUE STORY)

1. Buy Phatbox (preferably the VW one)
2. Take out your glove box (as per the instructions) to get to the OEM HU
3. Plug in your Phatbox and run all necessary cables to where you want to put you Phatbox
4. Re-install glove box
5. Rattle? What rattle? It goes away!

But serioulsy *knock on wood* I havent had the rattle come back since I installed my Phatbox which required me to take out the glove box

M3GT
08-17-2006, 04:16 PM

That would be a Prima Mazda recommended service not a Mazda one. I know which service the advisor was referring to b/c we do the same one at our dealership. Nowhere in the Mazda scheduled maintenance book does it say anything about flushing your fuel injectors.

Thanks Flipspeed.

M3GT
08-17-2006, 04:23 PM

Any feedback? Thanks.

I had rattling glove box; here is how I fixed it (TRUE STORY)

1. Buy Phatbox (preferably the VW one)
2. Take out your glove box (as per the instructions) to get to the OEM HU
3. Plug in your Phatbox and run all necessary cables to where you want to put you Phatbox
4. Re-install glove box
5. Rattle? What rattle? It goes away!

But serioulsy *knock on wood* I havent had the rattle come back since I installed my Phatbox which required me to take out the glove box

Thanks MK. I was wondering if there is simpler solution that doesn\'t involve buying the Phatbox, which I don\'t need.

MAZDA Kitten
08-17-2006, 04:35 PM
I know i was being sarcastic ;)
My point was: try taking out the glovebox and tighten all the screws and stuff like that.

If the car has over 20,000km good luck with trying to argue that with your dealership

M3GT
08-17-2006, 04:44 PM

I know i was being sarcastic ;)
My point was: try taking out the glovebox and tighten all the screws and stuff like that.

If the car has over 20,000km good luck with trying to argue that with your dealership

Indeed, my car has more then 20K on it. Based on my observation, it looks like the rattle is coming from the weak latch so I don\'t know if tightening the screws would help. It\'s worth trying though.

Touge Tuning
08-25-2006, 05:12 PM
Have any of you ever used seafoam to clean out your combustion chamber and fuel system. I have used it on many cars and it has also yielded an improvement in fuel economy, idle and power. http://www.seafoamsales.com/products.htm

FLIPDADY
08-25-2006, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Stealth1

Have any of you ever used seafoam to clean out your combustion chamber and fuel system. I have used it on many cars and it has also yielded an improvement in fuel economy, idle and power. http://www.seafoamsales.com/products.htm
I\'ve actually had a few techs tell me about this stuff. How long have you been using it?

Chuckie
08-25-2006, 05:24 PM
I tend to screw things up when I do them. I heard if you don\'t seafoam it right, it\'s really bad.

Touge Tuning
08-25-2006, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by Stealth1

I\'ve actually had a few techs tell me about this stuff. How long have you been using it?

Last time I used it woulda been last year, planning on picking up a few bottles soon though. The only listed retailer for the product is a small auto parts store on markham rd in scarborough. His price varies from $10-12 a bottle depending on his mood i think lol. It is an awesome product and you can see and feel the results when feeding it into the crankcase. Makes for some good video material with all the smoke that comes out your exhaust. Its not recommended for high mileagle (150,000km i believe) cars that havent used it before.

Touge Tuning
08-25-2006, 05:53 PM

I tend to screw things up when I do them. I heard if you don\'t seafoam it right, it\'s really bad.

Its honestly very easy to use, here is how i tend to do it.

1. Purchase 2 bottles of Seafoam Engine Treatment

2. Bring car up to operating temperature and then shut off the car

3. Disconnect a vacuum line going to your intake manifold, usually the brake boost line is nice and big and easy to access.

4. Start up your engine and let it idle (idle will be going up and down due to vacuum line being disconnected). Take the vacuum line you disconnected and start letting it suck up the seafoam from the bottle. The engine will bog if you pour it to fast so take your time or have a buddy hold the accelerator at 2000-3000 rpm while u pour. Once you have put in about 1/2 of the bottle shut the car off for about 1-2 minutes. This gives you time to reconnect the brake booster line and let the seafoam do some more work. Start up the engine and rev it up a bit, there is usually a huge amount of smoke that comes out the exhaust.

5. Once this is done I would pour the other 1/2 of the bottle into the oil filler. Then take the car out for a hard 15 minute drive and bring it back. Then I would recommend changing the oil once you bring it back.

6. The last step is to pour the entire second bottle into your gas tank the next time you fill it completely up. This will clean your entire fuel system and at the same time clean out your engine a bit aswell.

If anyone is interested I can assist them doing this although its not too difficult:)