PDA

View Full Version : Short-throw Shifter

ksukh
11-06-2006, 08:42 PM
Hey everyone,
Yes an interesting topic and I guarantee most of you have one. What I want to know is opinions. I've driven my friends Subaru WRX Impreza with a short-throw shifter and I will say it's very nice. My other friend said he get's quicker shifts and he can palm it which I find interesting. Who has one? how much they go for?(I'm expecting a response from patrique and Joe on that one :P) Opinions would be great. :)

Ken

sbmonkey
11-06-2006, 09:20 PM
I want one.... eventually.

CanadaGTO
11-06-2006, 09:26 PM
I'm gonna point you to one of the forums other sponsors :) We do not carry any Short shifters for the Mazda3, simply because there aren't many out there.

http://www.twmperformance.com/shortshifters/mazdashortshifters/mazda3shortshifters.htm

Wild Weasel
11-06-2006, 10:07 PM
Only a bit relevant, but I've got a B&M in my Sunfire and have greatly enjoyed it. Definitely shifts nicer with it than before.

Skarbro
11-07-2006, 05:26 AM
I think probably 95%+ of the people on here do not have short shifters.

I will be installing my TWM SS tonight. I'll review it later.

B&M doesn't make a SS for the 3 to my knowledge.

I would stay away from the ARK shifter. It looks the nicest - but it's stupid for a SS to look nice because when installed you don't see any of it! It is bolted together instead of welded and I know of at least one person whose bolts came loose and caused a lot of problems.

The Mazdaspeed one changes the tilt of the shifter.

cntrl
11-07-2006, 08:34 AM
I did this mod before for a few people @ torontoaccords.com. Actually re-welded the bracket lower and modified the shifter for a true short shifter. It was a better option that adapter kits.

http://forums.torontoaccords.com/viewtopic.php?t=14307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=lithiumus&start=0

doughboyr6
11-07-2006, 06:14 PM
i bought a TWM a few weeks ago...prolly a month now and still haven't installed it yet...hopefully i'll get around to it this week....

infact, i haven't installed any of my parts...

TWM
Progress Rear Sway
Vibrant Strut...

i'm so lazy.... ;D

McGuyver_3
11-07-2006, 07:45 PM
i baught the mazda speed one couple of months ago and its much more comfortable to drive with although a little wierd how 1st gear has a killer lean towards my leg haha

Jetlag
11-07-2006, 08:24 PM
I've tried both the Mazdaspeed and TWM SS's. If you want comfort, go mazdaspeed, but if you want to experience a real short throw and killer cosmetics the TWM is where it's at.

Chuckie
11-07-2006, 09:14 PM
I've tried both the Mazdaspeed and TWM SS's. If you want comfort, go mazdaspeed, but if you want to experience a real short throw and killer cosmetics the TWM is where it's at.

I don't know about the MS one but the TWM one feels good..

Skarbro
11-07-2006, 09:22 PM
Just installed mine tonight:

http://xsorbit30.com/users5/torontomazda3den/index.php?topic=772.0

sbmonkey
11-07-2006, 10:47 PM
I like the way the MS one feels and how it leans toward the driver a little.

Skarbro
11-08-2006, 06:22 AM

That's one of the reasons I didn't get the MS one. I prefer it centered. Also the MS one is more expensive.

McGuyver_3
11-08-2006, 07:06 PM

A LITTLE??????? ARE YOU CROSSIED LOL (dont mean to offend you dont take it wrong please)
i think the ms one has a killer lean towards the drive but i think it is much more comfortable to switch gears that way

sbmonkey
11-08-2006, 11:31 PM
I don't think it leaned that much. lol. It is more comfortable to shift, though. :)
It's not as bad as the original TWM lean toward the passenger... I mean why the heck is it leaning that way except for RHD cars. :P

Skarbro
11-09-2006, 05:31 AM
I don't think it leaned that much. lol. It is more comfortable to shift, though. :)
It's not as bad as the original TWM lean toward the passenger... I mean why the heck is it leaning that way except for RHD cars. :P

The old TWM SS leaned - the new one does not lean at all. It's perfectly centered and sits straight up.

sbmonkey
11-09-2006, 08:06 AM
That's why I said the "original TWM" ;)

Skarbro
11-09-2006, 08:42 AM
Ah sorry. I guessed I missed that. LOL

I wonder if they had it lean to the passenger side to make it easier for right-hand drive cars?

sbmonkey
11-09-2006, 09:25 AM
They're located in Quebec so I dunno why they would make it first for RHD?
It was easier to make the shifter without a bend is my guess. lol
I think they were the first STS for the 3.

McGuyver_3
11-09-2006, 07:19 PM
Ah sorry.* I guessed I missed that.* LOL

I wonder if they had it lean to the passenger side to make it easier for right-hand drive cars?

as far as i know when i was doing my research about the shifters when i purchased mine they said that ms would have a straight shifter(causing it to lean to passenger side) and a bent one (leaning it towards the drivers side. They stated trhat at the time twm only produced straight ones causing it to be more uncomfortable for the driver
All in all the true meaning behind the straight ones is that they were meant for rhd vehicles and the bent ones for lhd vehicles but it never made a difference

astatik
11-29-2006, 12:39 AM
i have a twm ss on my car, imo i don't feel it's short enough. i mean the throws are shorten by a bit but
i drove my friend's 06 civic and my other friends type-s and they feel shorter or the same as mine but theirs are stock

Skarbro
11-29-2006, 08:08 AM
i have a twm ss on my car, imo i don't feel it's short enough. i mean the throws are shorten by a bit but
i drove my friend's 06 civic and my other friends type-s and they feel shorter or the same as mine but theirs are stock

That's the main reason why I got a short shifter in the first place. The stock shifter in the 3 is ridiculously tall. The short shifter brings it down to where it is supposed to be IMO.