PDA

View Full Version : Lets discuss....... SPARK PLUGS

MAZDA Kitten
11-09-2006, 10:46 AM
Just a couple of questions...

My car is almost at 85k

Is it time to replace them?

Whats the deal with running 'colder' plugs? Can someone elaborate on that...

Kevin@nextmod
11-09-2006, 11:03 AM
I'm guessing, it would be easier for a cold winter start?

Skarbro
11-09-2006, 11:18 AM
I haven't done too much research on the Mazda 3, but on the J-body, the only spark plugs that worked correctly were the OEM ACDelco plugs.

When it comes time to change mine on the 3, I'm only going with the exact same OEM plugs.

Isn't the spark plug change interval in the manual?

Flagrum_3
11-09-2006, 11:25 AM

My car is almost at 85k

Suggestion; Unless your noticing some sluggeshness or excess fuel consumption I wouldn't bother changing them, they should be good for another 30-40k.And unless you know what your doing don't try cleaning the present ones because iridium plugs are easily damaged....you might want to just crack them loose and torque them again just to lesson the chance that they'll be siezed at a later time.

What ever happen with your notchy 2nd gear?...just wondering.

_3

Skarbro
11-09-2006, 11:34 AM

My car is almost at 85k

Suggestion; Unless your noticing some sluggeshness or excess fuel consumption I wouldn't bother changing them, they should be good for another 30-40k.And unless you know what your doing don't try cleaning the present ones because iridium plugs are easily damaged....you might want to just crack them loose and torque them again just to lesson the chance that they'll be siezed at a later time.

What ever happen with your notchy 2nd gear?...just wondering.

_3

If she is going to open up and inspect the plugs, she needs to check the gaps and for corrosion. Also look for black carbon, which is a sign of running rich.

CanadaGTO
11-09-2006, 11:38 AM

My car is almost at 85k

Probably don't need to replace them.

See following link for info on heat range of plugs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spark_plug#Heat_range

MAZDA Kitten
11-09-2006, 11:52 AM
Ah okay so they are still good

But I am noticing some lag lately I dont know what it might be

2nd gear notchiness - the guys at Ontario Mazda will replace my tranny oil at my next oil change and we'll take it from there. I am very easy with the 2nd gear lately though and it seems that is not as bad (maybe because more aware of it)

Skarbro
11-09-2006, 12:00 PM

2nd gear notchiness - the guys at Ontario Mazda will replace my tranny oil at my next oil change and we'll take it from there. I am very easy with the 2nd gear lately though and it seems that is not as bad (maybe because more aware of it)

You will know when one of your spark plugs are mis-firing. Trust me. You'll get a significant bog. It could happen at any speed.

It never hurts to change them before you get to that point though.

Flagrum_3
11-09-2006, 12:08 PM

Try some fuel injecter cleaner or wait till you've changed your oil etc; take it for an extended brisk drive :D and if there is still some lagging pull the plugs as scaboro mentioned and inspect them.The plugs are supposed to last approx to 120k but that depends on your driving conditions.
As for using cold plugs I'd shy away from changing the plug temps, you might just cause problems.Stay with the same plugs.
Keep us posted on the gear thingy!!

_3

DrunknFoo
11-09-2006, 05:30 PM
There's been quite a bit of humidity in the air that could be causing the bogging... could be it

MAZDA Kitten
11-10-2006, 08:24 AM
Well I've done some more research into this and it looks like I'll be going with a colder plug.
It doesnt hurt to change it now anyways

Skarbro
11-10-2006, 08:41 AM
Well I've done some more research into this and it looks like I'll be going with a colder plug.

Let us know how it goes. I'm very leary about using plugs that are not OEM.

Flagrum_3
11-10-2006, 08:50 AM

MK sure it dosn't hurt to put new plugs in if you don't mind the cost but going for colder plugs thats a different issue!....Have you been hearing any pre-detonation? (pinging) Is most of your driving extended high speed? if not then its not a good idea.Cold plugs will foul up your engine quite quickly if your not driving in the right conditions! If you researched it you would know plug temp variences used to be common years ago before we had computer controled fuel-injection, now with the high-tech its not so common anymore and quite unnesseary.If you do end up changing to cold plugs anyways you might want to pay extra attention to your engine performance in the future because like I said it can create problems.

Good luck!

__3

majic
11-10-2006, 09:06 AM

you're in the insurance business.. you're leary about everything non-stock / out of the norm ;)

MAZDA Kitten
11-10-2006, 09:11 AM
Stock are NGK TR6IX but I'll be going with 1 step closer TR7IX (stock #3690)

Skarbro
11-10-2006, 09:51 AM
Let us know how it goes.* I'm very leary about using plugs that are not OEM.

you're in the insurance business.. you're leary about everything non-stock / out of the norm ;)

LOL Yes leariness is an underwriting trait. :) I speak from experience though on this issue. Newer cars are tuned to run the OEM plugs. Messing with the plugs is not always the best thing to do. But I don't have any experience with the plugs on the 3, so let's see how this turns out. :) Does Mazdakitten have a 2.0 or 2.3?

majic
11-10-2006, 10:30 AM
Does Mazdakitten have a 2.0 or 2.3?

2.3L that sips gas as if it was a 1.6L diesel :-\

lucky bitch! :-*

MAZDA Kitten
11-10-2006, 10:49 AM
Ty hamie!

Ale kiedy na kafa idziemy???
Kurdeeee ale dugo sie nie vidzimy

MajesticBlueNTO
11-10-2006, 12:28 PM
Stock are NGK TR6IX but I'll be going with 1 step closer TR7IX (stock #3690)

Note that some early build 2004 Mazda 3 had the ITR5F-13 plugs and were changed midway through to the colder ITR6F-13. This is shown in the service manual as well since they recommend either the 5F or 6F.

Also note that outside of North America, the 3 continued to use ITR5F-13 plugs ....Scroll down to the bottom at "Non-US Automotive Fitting" (http://www.sparkplugs.com/results_fitment.asp?pid=ITR5F%2D13)

If you have the ITR6F-13 (TR6IX in the IX Extreme), you already have a one-step colder plug. I would not use the TR7IX unless you were running some form of Forced Induction (N2O, Turbo) where the combustion temps would increase and, like Flagrum said, bring forth a concern of pre-detonation.

MajesticBlueNTO
11-10-2006, 12:35 PM

LOL Yes leariness is an underwriting trait. :) I speak from experience though on this issue. Newer cars are tuned to run the OEM plugs. Messing with the plugs is not always the best thing to do. But I don't have any experience with the plugs on the 3, so let's see how this turns out. :) Does Mazdakitten have a 2.0 or 2.3?

Anything NGK is fine for this car (as with most japanese cars)...the stock is an Iridium ITR5F-13 or ITR6F-13 (at around $27/plug last I checked with Joe in 05)...the NGK Iridium IX TR5IX or TR6IX can be found at CT for $19.99/pair. As long as you don't use Champion, AC Delco, Bosch, you shouldn't have to worry.

I do understand where you're coming from as, with the Maxima, it hated anything non-NGK (Bosch Platinum+4 made the car run like shit).

majic
11-10-2006, 12:46 PM
we better copy and/or sticky this thread on the new board :)

MAZDA Kitten
11-10-2006, 12:47 PM
FAH-Q...... thank you sooo much for clearing that up! That is exactly what I was looking for

I read tons of threads on m3f and was getting confused with the overwhelming amount of info about plugs

I knew that in 04/2004 that is when Mazda switched the plugs for Canadian cars (My car was built June 04)

xg3
11-12-2006, 08:25 AM
hate to break it up to those bosch haters.. i have had bosch +4 since 40,000km.. and i am at 75,000km..

Didnt make it better, or any worse...

Gas milage is still 500km/tank.

Skarbro
11-12-2006, 10:51 AM
Bosch +4's are a marketing scam. The spark only travels to the closest of the 4 prongs. Having 4 prongs helps nothing.

MAZDA Kitten
11-13-2006, 10:54 AM
500 a TANK??!?!?? Whoa...

lukel90
11-24-2006, 02:23 AM
yeah, when are we going for coffee again...oh wait.....Mk wont show up again eh majic....lol......and her fuel economy is more like a 1.6L diesel hybrid....

MAZDA Kitten
11-24-2006, 09:36 AM
LOL
Siarrrap
Name the date and time and I'm there

majic
11-29-2006, 02:04 PM
LOL
Siarrrap
Name the date and time and I'm there

actually last time we did that

lukel90:1
majic:1
MK: 0

MAZDA Kitten
12-01-2006, 01:26 PM
aleeeeeeeee ja hcem :( :( :(!!!!!!!!

MAZDA Kitten
09-05-2007, 01:35 PM
BUMP from the dead

Has anyone changed their plugs?
What did you use?

midnightfxgt
09-05-2007, 01:53 PM
NGK TR6 gapped at 0.35"

MajesticBlueNTO
09-05-2007, 04:30 PM
BUMP from the dead

Has anyone changed their plugs?
What did you use?

last paragraph (http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=16798#5)...

i've got the NGK TR55IX in mine gapped down to as close to 0.052" as possible and will go to TR55 copper plugs in the spring/summer (picked up 4 for $5.59/pair at CT on sale)....as for why the TR55(IX), well, mine came with ITR5F-13 from the factory.