PDA

View Full Version : Review - My 48,000KM Service @ MoT

sunset_orange
01-20-2007, 06:12 PM
Brought my 04 Mazda3 GTX sedan to MoT for 48K service today, my service advisor was Ali, I had dealt with him before, so from my past experience, I think his customer service skill is getting better... although there are still room for improvement, for example when I told him that I am concerned about my car's fuel economy:

Me: "I've noticed that I'm only getting about 400KM per full tank lately"
He told me: "It is normal"
Me: "......."
Me: "No, I usually get about 500KM per tank."

He had me worried a bit there, Hah. I also had couple TSB related issues that I took with me:

- Shift Shock from 1st to 2nd gear
- No.3 engine mount (In two different instances, my car was shaking up and down like crazy when stopped at red light)
- Grinding/squeaking noise from rear brakes in the morning (some of you think this is a problem, some don't)
- Flush Transmission Oil (not from TSB, but was recommended to me last time when I had my engine oil change, and may be a factor to the shifting problem)

Ali was pretty patient and wrote down everything I said as I explained my concerns, he assured me that the technician will check all my problems and will call me if there is something that I need to know. I was a little bit surprised to hear that trans oil change will cost me $140, never done it before, is that the right price or did I get ripped? lol... Anyways, I gave him the key and off I went.

After few hours I got the call that my car is ready. Ali told me that the tech. had reprogrammed PCM for my shifting problem (great), replaced no.3 mount for my car vibration problem (nice), these are all covered by warranty (awesome!), however for the rear brake grinding issue, this TSB is only for american car, we cannot do anything about it but we recommend you to replace your brakes... (hmmm... 5 second pause). And would you like to do fuel injector flush ($140) and brake fluid flush ($130 something can't remember) today to improve your fuel economy?

uhhh I think I am gonna hold that off for today, maybe another time, thanks.

The total price for today's service: $400 :-( Well, other than the pricey bill and not been able to fix the rear brakes grinding issue, I'm happy that MoT acknowledged most of my concerns. Hopefully by fixing these problems and flushing trans. oil, it will improve my fuel economy, I'll see the result in the next few weeks.

P.S. Two questions:

1: Does 48K service include engine oil change? I just had my oil changed one month ago, do you think I could've waited and get the oil change done together with 48k service and save that 50 bucks?

2: How often do you have to do transmission oil flush? brake fluid flush? and fuel injector flush?

MPS
01-20-2007, 06:29 PM
oil change $50??? wtf

Brought my 04 Mazda3 GTX sedan to MoT for 48K service today, my service advisor was Ali, I had dealt with him before, so from my past experience, I think his customer service skill is getting better... although there are still room for improvement, for example when I told him that I am concerned about my car's fuel economy:

Me: "I've noticed that I'm only getting about 400KM per full tank lately"
He told me: "It is normal"
Me: "......."
Me: "No, I usually get about 500KM per tank."

He had me worried a bit there, Hah. I also had couple TSB related issues that I took with me:

- Shift Shock from 1st to 2nd gear
- No.3 engine mount (In two different instances, my car was shaking up and down like crazy when stopped at red light)
- Grinding/squeaking noise from rear brakes in the morning (some of you think this is a problem, some don't)
- Flush Transmission Oil (not from TSB, but was recommended to me last time when I had my engine oil change, and may be a factor to the shifting problem)

Ali was pretty patient and wrote down everything I said as I explained my concerns, he assured me that the technician will check all my problems and will call me if there is something that I need to know. I was a little bit surprised to hear that trans oil change will cost me $140, never done it before, is that the right price or did I get ripped? lol... Anyways, I gave him the key and off I went.

After few hours I got the call that my car is ready. Ali told me that the tech. had reprogrammed PCM for my shifting problem (great), replaced no.3 mount for my car vibration problem (nice), these are all covered by warranty (awesome!), however for the rear brake grinding issue, this TSB is only for american car, we cannot do anything about it but we recommend you to replace your brakes... (hmmm... 5 second pause). And would you like to do fuel injector flush ($140) and brake fluid flush ($130 something can't remember) today to improve your fuel economy?

uhhh I think I am gonna hold that off for today, maybe another time, thanks.

The total price for today's service: $400 :-( Well, other than the pricey bill and not been able to fix the rear brakes grinding issue, I'm happy that MoT acknowledged most of my concerns. Hopefully by fixing these problems and flushing trans. oil, it will improve my fuel economy, I'll see the result in the next few weeks.

P.S. Two questions:

1: Does 48K service include engine oil change? I just had my oil changed one month ago, do you think I could've waited and get the oil change done together with 48k service and save that 50 bucks?

2: How often do you have to do transmission oil flush? brake fluid flush? and fuel injector flush?

sunset_orange
01-20-2007, 06:44 PM
oil change $50??? wtf

Ehh I just checked the bill, it was $44 ;-/

PlatMS6
01-20-2007, 07:20 PM
Ok ppl, I seriously cannot believe that ppl still either fall for or don't have the guts to stand up to explanations like "This TSB is for US cars only".

UNLESS it is a California state emission part/service there is no such thing as a US only TSB! Each one of the TSB documents is labled as North America Mazda, I have had one "Tech Advisor" state that to me once, and it was dropped right then and there. If they have further argument, talk to the service manager, if he backs em up...take your business to another dealership.

While TSB's like this can get the dealer to replace "wear & tear" parts like break pads and rotors, it doesn't mean that they are willing, having said that you should make sure that your symptoms exactly match the TSB's description so that there are no issues to discuss.

Someone should seriously sticky this somewhere!

edit:
As for the fuel economy...nothing will ever be done. You can use light oils like Motul (if you want to risk it), and keeping the tire pressure on the high side...but it doesn't help much.

mf5781
01-20-2007, 07:22 PM
(awesome!), however for the rear brake grinding issue, this TSB is only for american car, we cannot do anything about it but we recommend you to replace your brakes... (hmmm... 5 second pause).

The TSB is applicable to Canada. If your rotors are grooved as described in the TSB and your VIN is within that range, you can ask for the replacement of rotors and pads with no charge because the TSB extends the warranty to 5 years and 50K miles. Mine is also 2004 M3. I had mine changed with no warranty in Mar/06. After I complained many times to Mazda Canada, they finally refunded the money to me. So go back and tell them the TSB is applicable to Canada and it's confirmed by Mazda Canada.

For the oil change, I would tell them not to do that this time because you just did it a month ago. Why wasted the money and damaged the environment?

MPS
01-20-2007, 07:27 PM
$44 who is ripping you off that bad ... i always pay $32 @ my dealer

Ehh I just checked the bill, it was $44 ;-/

sunset_orange
01-20-2007, 08:07 PM
Ok ppl, I seriously cannot believe that ppl still either fall for or don't have the guts to stand up to explanations like "This TSB is for US cars only".

You know, for a moment I was going to question this, but didn't some of you guys posted here that the new pads and rotors still make grinding/squeaking noise? So I figured I am not going to waste my time this time.

I already complaint about the grinding noise in another visit here before and was told that "wear & tear" parts can't be replaced. I'm just really tired of these different answers from them every time I asked...

sunset_orange
01-20-2007, 08:16 PM
$44 who is ripping you off that bad ... i always pay $32 @ my dealer

$44 is after tax, before tax I think it was $39... which dealer did you go to?

sunset_orange
01-20-2007, 08:22 PM
For the oil change, I would tell them not to do that this time because you just did it a month ago. Why wasted the money and damaged the environment?

I thought oil change would be included in $210 that I paid for the 48K service?

oh and btw, how's your new brakes? do they still make grinding or squeaking noise when it's cold/wet?

MPS
01-20-2007, 08:32 PM
$32.01 tax in

$44 is after tax, before tax I think it was $39... which dealer did you go to?

JPAV8S4U
01-21-2007, 12:28 AM
$32.01 tax in

Vlad... who do you go to? I thought you went to MOT... I was charged 44 like many others...... fill us in on how to save 12 bucks an oil change would ya ;)

MPS
01-21-2007, 12:31 AM
get on MSN ill tell you

Vlad... who do you go to? I thought you went to MOT... I was charged 44 like many others...... fill us in on how to save 12 bucks an oil change would ya ;)

mf5781
01-21-2007, 10:31 AM
I thought oil change would be included in $210 that I paid for the 48K service?

oh and btw, how's your new brakes? do they still make grinding or squeaking noise when it's cold/wet?

They are fine since the replacement. I think if your rotors and pads are required to be changed anyway, why not change them free of charge? Then they can last for another 2 to 3 years. You can save $410 + taxes. But make sure you are under that TSB. Next time if you need new rotors, you can consider the aftermaket ones.

I think if MOT did not change your oil, they should have reduced the package price by $44.

3GFX
01-21-2007, 05:59 PM
My dealer's oil change was around the low 40s with tax in.

This 48,000km service. I'm thinking of skipping it. I don't have any complaints with my car, and I change my oil as often as possible (before recommended times) as well as running injector cleaner through the system once every few months. I have no issues other than squeeky brakes (when cold) but I already checked and they already have the TSB 'fix'. I'm planning on replacing my pads and discs all around when the time comes, but I can check that myself.

A belt on the motor squeeks when the engine is cold, but I will check its tension and possibly replace it.

I might change my spark plugs soon, but someone else on the board mentioned them lasting up to 80,000km.

Basically is there anything I'm missing here? I'm a do it yourselfer and I have mechanical skills. So I'm really wondering if I should take the car in to get inspected for what was estimated at my dealer to be 225$ tax in.

Has anyone else skipped their 48,000?

What is done at the 48,000 mark that I'm missing?

(lol, I don't need someone to inspect my filter considering I installed and clean it myself ;) )

FLIPDADY
01-21-2007, 09:40 PM
The 48k service includes the oil change as per Mazda Canada's recomended service schedule.

As for the transmission fluid change the service that was offered to you was a complete transmission flush. Not just a drain your oil and refill it. A bottle of fluid flush is put through your tranny then a second bottle of additive plus the tranny oil.

Every dealer not just ours offers extra services. (fuel injector flush, brake fluid flush, transmission oil flush, etc..)

I will review your repair order on Monday.

FLIPDADY
01-22-2007, 11:36 AM
Just went over your work order.

You did an oil change at 46,122. When you booked your 48km service did you mention that you did an oil change then? You must tell the advisor that the oil was already replaced.

We changed your oil and filter on the 48km. Here's the breakdown of what was done and what you paid for.

48km service labor:$186.20 parts:$23.95 = $210.15

Automatic transmission fluid flush (dealer recomended service every 2 years or 48km) labor:$80.10 parts:$59.85 = $139.95

The remainder of the workorder was the PCM reflash and engine mount replace which is warranty.

$210.15 + $139.95 = $350.10 + taxes $399.11

sunset_orange
01-23-2007, 03:55 PM
Just went over your work order.

You did an oil change at 46,122. When you booked your 48km service did you mention that you did an oil change then? You must tell the advisor that the oil was already replaced.

We changed your oil and filter on the 48km. Here's the breakdown of what was done and what you paid for.

Hi Flipspeed,

No I didn't tell him about the oil changed that I did around 46K, because when I checked my 2004 maintenance menu for 48K service, it didn't list "replace engine oil" as one of the tasks that will be done, just inspections of some components. If I had see that oil change is part of the 48k service, then I'd have asked if it can be skipped because I just did it recently.

I'm referring to the 2004 maintenance menu that was given to me when I bought the car, I don't know if things got changed lately or what, I'm just reading what I saw. Frankly, I think it would be nice if the service advisor can explain to the customer on what exactly will be done to his/her car, and make a honest recommendation according to customer's past work orders/complaints; in my case, Ali could've told me that "hey you just did an oil changed last month, you can skip this one today and save $44!" not the other way around. We the customers, not everyone is a car expert, some of us may not know every details about car maintenance, that's why we bring our cars to you, because we trust that you know what you're doing.

Haha... hate to sound like I'm bitching, maybe I'm expecting too much, well, I guess this is life, nothing is perfect, it's an experience, next time I'll be smarter ;p

FLIPDADY
01-23-2007, 04:50 PM
That's fair, I'll bring this up at our next meeting regarding checking on what was done on the last service.

majic
01-23-2007, 05:14 PM
No I didn't tell him about the oil changed that I did around 46K, because when I checked my 2004 maintenance menu for 48K service, it didn't list "replace engine oil" as one of the tasks that will be done, just inspections of some components. If I had see that oil change is part of the 48k service, then I'd have asked if it can be skipped because I just did it recently.

WHY did you have your oil changed at 46K?
WHY did you NOT do your 48K service at 46K if you HAD to get your oil changed (ie. it's been 4 months already)

http://www.whitbymazda.com/en/service/maintenance/index.spy?make=Mazda&model=3&year=2005&lcarids=1053900105%7CSport+GT#dropmenu

select 48000km/24months - schedule 3

hmmm..

Replace engine oil
Replace oil filter
Inspect function of all lights
Inspect brake and clutch fluid, power steering fluid, washer fluid and coolant level
Inspect tire inflation and tire wear
Rotate tires
Lubricate all locks and hinges
Inspect disc brakes (front and rear) and lubricate caliper slide pins/rails
Inspect A/C operation
Inspect cooling system, pressure test cap and system for leaks
Inspect fuel lines and hoses
Inspect brake lines, hoses and connections
Inspect steering operation and linkage
Inspect suspension components front and rear including ball joints and driveshafts
Inspect driveshaft dust boots

sunset_orange
01-23-2007, 09:28 PM
WHY did you have your oil changed at 46K?
WHY did you NOT do your 48K service at 46K if you HAD to get your oil changed (ie. it's been 4 months already)

Because that was the time to do oil change (over 4 months). Didn't think about doing 48K service because I thought I already did a 2 years service last year (which I later found out that it was not a real 48K service, I have to check the receipt to see what was done)

http://www.whitbymazda.com/en/service/maintenance/index.spy?make=Mazda&model=3&year=2005&lcarids=1053900105%7CSport+GT#dropmenu

select 48000km/24months - schedule 3

hmmm..

Replace engine oil
Replace oil filter
Inspect function of all lights
Inspect brake and clutch fluid, power steering fluid, washer fluid and coolant level
Inspect tire inflation and tire wear
Rotate tires
Lubricate all locks and hinges
Inspect disc brakes (front and rear) and lubricate caliper slide pins/rails
Inspect A/C operation
Inspect cooling system, pressure test cap and system for leaks
Inspect fuel lines and hoses
Inspect brake lines, hoses and connections
Inspect steering operation and linkage
Inspect suspension components front and rear including ball joints and driveshafts
Inspect driveshaft dust boots

http://i14.tinypic.com/34ffh5c.jpg
http://i1.tinypic.com/2vamm9x.jpg

*Shrugs* I don't know why on my menu oil change is not on the list, and so much is missing from yours

sunset_orange
01-23-2007, 09:40 PM
That's fair, I'll bring this up at our next meeting regarding checking on what was done on the last service.

Thx Flipspeed, you never let us down :-)

majic
01-23-2007, 11:35 PM
http://i1.tinypic.com/2vamm9x.jpg

*Shrugs* I don't know why on my menu oil change is not on the list, and so much is missing from yours

oy vey..

every 8K (or 4mths) you do ABC
every 24K (or 12mths) you do DEF
every 48K (or 24mths) you do GHI

8K: ABC
16K: ABC
24K: ABCDEF (since 24 is a multiple of 8)
32K: ABC
40K: ABC
48K: ABCDEFGHI (since 48 is a multiple of 24 AND 8)
... etc

mf5781
01-24-2007, 02:15 PM
Automatic transmission fluid flush (dealer recomended service every 2 years or 48km) labor:$80.10 parts:$59.85 = $139.95

I cannot find any recommenation of AT fluid change in the manual. So anyone knows exactly when or at what mileage we should change it?

Flagrum_3
01-25-2007, 05:41 AM
I cannot find any recommenation of AT fluid change in the manual. So anyone knows exactly when or at what mileage we should change it?

Thats because its a sealed unit, so Mazda expects the fluid to last.Hence according to the manual just do periodic inspections.
NOTE: it is a 'DEALER Recommendation' to replace AT fluid at 2 year, 48k intervals.
Unless the fluid is dark or smells burnt or your having some slippage or other problems, replacement is not neccessary.

_3

Flagrum_3
01-25-2007, 05:59 AM
My dealer's oil change was around the low 40s with tax in.

This 48,000km service. I'm thinking of skipping it. I don't have any complaints with my car, and I change my oil as often as possible (before recommended times) as well as running injector cleaner through the system once every few months. I have no issues other than squeeky brakes (when cold) but I already checked and they already have the TSB 'fix'. I'm planning on replacing my pads and discs all around when the time comes, but I can check that myself.

A belt on the motor squeeks when the engine is cold, but I will check its tension and possibly replace it.

I might change my spark plugs soon, but someone else on the board mentioned them lasting up to 80,000km.

Basically is there anything I'm missing here? I'm a do it yourselfer and I have mechanical skills. So I'm really wondering if I should take the car in to get inspected for what was estimated at my dealer to be 225$ tax in.

Has anyone else skipped their 48,000?

What is done at the 48,000 mark that I'm missing?

(lol, I don't need someone to inspect my filter considering I installed and clean it myself ;) )

I wouldn't recommend skipping the 48k service completely.You might have mechanical skills, but do you know what to look for in all of the inspections recommended by Mazda?...if not it could come back to haunt you later.

If they replace your brakes under the TSB have them grease the caliper slider pins at the same time.

Has for the plugs they should last till 120k under normal driving conditions. you could always pull them out yourself and inspect them, but they should be ok at 48k.

As for the belt there is a TSB on the belt tensioner which may be causing the noise at start-up, I'm suffering the same problem too and will be getting it looked at soon under warranty.

You don't in any case other than TSB or warranty issues, have to have it serviced at the dealer.Do the stuff you can do on your own but "keep receipts" have certain things inspected by a Licenced Mechanic and written down on paper what was inspected and its condition.This way you will be covering your ass if anything needs replacing down the road.

_3

3GFX
01-25-2007, 09:40 AM
Thx flagrum. The brakes I will inspect soon as I intend on replacing the discs and pads by the summer of '08. The plugs I will check, and I have a friend who will inspect my lines and such. Thank you for your advice.