PDA

View Full Version : Please assist - First time ever lowering my car, and have no idea what I need...

monty0501
01-21-2007, 09:25 PM
Hi,

Ive been looking through these forums for sometime now trying to figure out exactly what I need, and what I should look for in order to lower my car.

I noticed the words ProKit and Koni's etc.

I basically want to lower my car just a little bit and yet not wear out my tires, shocks etc. too much in the process.

1. Can anyone assist me as to all the things I will need in order to do this?
Ive heard a lot of people talk about the ProKit which seems like it has what I need, but what else do I need to get?

2. Im fairly new to this, have never owned a car, and always liked the thought of having it just a little lower, possibly as low as the Mazdaspeed 3?

3. Also, is it hard to get the car back to stock down the road?

4. What about winters? How much does it cost to put back to stock?

5. Any good shops for lowering?

Thanks so much for your help on this....I really appreciate any input you can give on experiences, pricing etc.

Monty

CanadaGTO
01-21-2007, 09:58 PM
Hey Monty,

The Pro-kit by Eibach seem to be quite popular, with a mild drop but still quite noticable.

Most do not replace the shocks straight away, but if/when they eventually go, it would always be best to use a shock specific for lowered applications, like the Koni Yellows.

Driving in general will be a little different. It's gonna be a little harsher, and you have to start watching out for potholes, speed bumps, parking lot curbs, and snow drifts in the winter. Takes a little getting used to, fine overall with a mild drop. If you really slam it them it can get dicey :)

Most good mechanics can do the drop, some on this board will be able to recommend a place for a good price. Putting back to stock afterwards is not too hard, just do the opposite and keep your stock springs when you do lower it.

Let me know if you need quotes on any spring prices, we can match/beat pretty much all the prices available, and our items come with full manufacturers warranty :)

Patrique

S.F.W.
01-21-2007, 09:58 PM
the likely hood is you aren't going to alter your setup for summer and winter, unless you have coil overs. Prokit's are Eiback ProKit, a lowering spring that will drop the car approximately 1.3-1.4". Koni is a shock manufacturer, if you go with a very aggressive drop, or want a stiffer ride, you will need to add shocks to your setup.
In terms of lowering like a Mazdapeed3, the prokits are your best bet
Going back to stock is not difficult as long as you keep the original components, you would just need to pay a shop to swap back your stock springs/shocks
In terms of shops, for the labor Speedtech is one of the better shops, int erms of purchasing the springs, you can go all over..

monty0501
01-21-2007, 10:20 PM
Hey thanks so much for the info!

So basically from what I understand, ProKits would do the trick (springs) and I would eventually have to get new shocks?
Do teh shocks wear out a lot faster if the car is lowered? It sounds like they do...if so how much faster? Also, Im guessing since Im not doing such a drastic drop, my tires should not be effected drastically??? As long as the install is done properly?

So how much am I looking for teh ProKit springs?

How much for teh shocks, and do you guys recommend getting the shocks installed at the same time as teh springs?

How much is the install? Im guessing it would be the same price if I want to go back to stock?

Im sorry for all these questions, I just want my first experience to be a highly researched one, and dont want to screw up my car!

Thanks again for all your help...I really appreciate this!

MPS
01-21-2007, 10:25 PM
http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=16147

monty0501
01-21-2007, 10:44 PM
Whats the average life of the springs as well???

And can anyone give me a good quote on teh springs brand new; so that I can compare to used pricing as per Mazdaspeed? I noticed SuperShyGuy is selling for $285...thanks.

Monty

SpeedBaby
01-21-2007, 10:56 PM
thats long gone

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=179

monty0501
01-21-2007, 11:06 PM
http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=16036

Hey,

I think it still exists, its not a group buy or anything...atleast I dont think it is...

Also had another question....I want to put different rims on the car, 18s or 19s; my question is, what size should i get to avoid the infamous "rubbing" against the fenders? I know the rims and tires have a bunch of numbers (offset etc.) what should I look for?

Thanks!

MPS
01-22-2007, 12:30 AM
yes the $285 is not a GB

stay away from 19" unless you like the rubber band ride and i dont think you can lower ur car plus 19" is odd tire size $$$
so go with 18" and a Pro kit not sport line that kit is to low

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=16036

Hey,

I think it still exists, its not a group buy or anything...atleast I dont think it is...

Also had another question....I want to put different rims on the car, 18s or 19s; my question is, what size should i get to avoid the infamous "rubbing" against the fenders? I know the rims and tires have a bunch of numbers (offset etc.) what should I look for?

Thanks!

monty0501
01-22-2007, 10:23 AM
Hey Mazdaspeed,

thanks for the tip man, yea I was thinking 19 might be too big especially if its lowered...going with 18s.

Oh btw....do you happen to have any pix of your car with the prokit installed? Just want to see the drop you got...

Thanks!

MPS
01-22-2007, 12:20 PM
the first pic is 18" the rest is OEM rims

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e88/axela1/DSC00283.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e88/axela1/DSC00231.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e88/axela1/DSC00237.jpg

monty0501
01-22-2007, 03:35 PM
Yea man!!!

thats the exact drop I want with exact size of rims....

So you had no issues with rubbing huh?

Also, is there a specific measurement for the rims? I mean when I look at rims, they have a bunch of numbers, not sure what the heck they all mean, but man your ride looks nice! Im not sure which set of rims I like more....looks nuts!

For example...there is something like 18X7.5 (what is the 7.5 for)
Also, for tires, looking at tirerack, it has these numbers for the original rims:
205/50-17 what the heck does this mean? Im guessing the 17 is for the size of rims, could be wrong...but whats everything else for?

Thanks for all your help man, Im actually learning alot just talking to you about this!

Monty

b
01-22-2007, 06:10 PM
Yea man!!!

For example...there is something like 18X7.5 (what is the 7.5 for)

The 7.5" is for rim width.

Also, for tires, looking at tirerack, it has these numbers for the original rims:
205/50-17 what the heck does this mean? Im guessing the 17 is for the size of rims, could be wrong...but whats everything else for?

Took this from tirerack.com since they explain it well...
Section Width

Following the letter(s) that identify the type of vehicle and/or type of service for which the tire was designed, the three-digit numeric portion identifies the tire's "Section Width" (cross section) in millimeters.

P225/50R16 91S
The 225 indicates this tire is 225 millimeters across from the widest point of its outer sidewall to the widest point of its inner sidewall when mounted and measured on a specified width wheel. This measurement is also referred to as the tire's section width. Because many people think of measurements in inches, the 225mm can be converted to inches by dividing the section width in millimeters by 25.4 (the number of millimeters per inch).

225mm / 25.4 = 8.86"
Sidewall Aspect Ratio

Typically following the three digits identifying the tire's Section Width in millimeters is a two-digit number that identifies the tire's profile or aspect ratio.

P225/50R16 91S
The 50 indicates that this tire size's sidewall height (from rim to tread) is 50% of its section width. The measurement is the tire's section height, and also referred to as the tire's series, profile or aspect ratio. The higher the number, the taller the sidewall; the lower the number, the lower the sidewall. We know that this tire size's section width is 225mm and that its section height is 50% of 225mm. By converting the 225mm to inches (225 / 25.4 = 8.86") and multiplying it by 50% (.50) we confirm that this tire size results in a tire section height of 4.43". If this tire were a P225/70R16 size, our calculation would confirm that the size would result in a section height of 6.20", approximately a 1.8-inch taller sidewall.
Internal Construction

A letter (R in this case) that identifies the tire's internal construction follows the two digits used to identify the aspect ratio.

P225/50R16, P225/50ZR16
The R in the P225/50R16 91S size identifies that the tire has a Radial construction in which the tire's body plies "radiate" out from the imaginary center of the wheel. Radial tires are by far the most popular type of tire today representing over 98% of all tires sold.
If the R in the size was replaced with a D (225/50D16), it would identify that the internal tire body plies crisscross on a Diagonal and that the tire has a "bias ply" construction. Tires using this construction are for light truck and spare tire applications.
If the R in the size was replaced with a B (225/50B16), it would identify that the tire body plies not only crisscross the tire on a diagonal as before, but that they are reinforced with belts under the tread area. This type of tire construction is called "Belted." Tires using this construction are practically extinct.

monty0501
01-23-2007, 09:56 AM
Hey thanks for the info!

Now the question I have to answer is: should I wait until Spring for the springs:S

Thanks everyone for all of your help!

CanadaGTO
01-23-2007, 10:11 AM
Really a personal decision. Pro-Kit is not too much of a drop, so it wont be that bad in the Winter, just depends on when you want to set time aside to do it :)

monty0501
02-12-2007, 08:11 AM
I got the Pro-Kit, now I just gotta get back in town to get them installed!!!

Thanks for all your help!

cyberscorpi0
02-12-2007, 10:09 AM
All you need now is to call Andy at Speedtech and he will take care of you.

(416) 293-6887

Nextmod
02-12-2007, 12:59 PM
I got the Pro-Kit, now I just gotta get back in town to get them installed!!!

Thanks for all your help!

let me know if everything is okay with the order. =)

monty0501
02-13-2007, 02:55 AM
Hey SSG, will do man....right now cant really say, as I havent even seen them...lol.

But my bro said they are in fact brand new and waiting for me in my room:)

Cant wait!

Thanks again!

Houndskull
03-05-2007, 12:25 AM
where are you guys located and do you have a number? im from barrie not much place to get ur car done up here thanx

Hey Monty,

The Pro-kit by Eibach seem to be quite popular, with a mild drop but still quite noticable.

Most do not replace the shocks straight away, but if/when they eventually go, it would always be best to use a shock specific for lowered applications, like the Koni Yellows.

Driving in general will be a little different. It's gonna be a little harsher, and you have to start watching out for potholes, speed bumps, parking lot curbs, and snow drifts in the winter. Takes a little getting used to, fine overall with a mild drop. If you really slam it them it can get dicey :)

Most good mechanics can do the drop, some on this board will be able to recommend a place for a good price. Putting back to stock afterwards is not too hard, just do the opposite and keep your stock springs when you do lower it.

Let me know if you need quotes on any spring prices, we can match/beat pretty much all the prices available, and our items come with full manufacturers warranty :)

Patrique