Product Name: Mio C310s
Place of Purchase: staples canada, online
Price: 270 - 20 (coupon from rfd) + tax = 285

Rating out of 5: 5/5
Pros:
- very fast route recalculation if u miss turns
- lots of POI's preloaded
- american AND canadian maps included
- SD expanadable memory format (built in 512mb for 310s)
- runs on windows CE = hackable for video, contacts, CE stuff lol
- built in mp3 player
- sirFstarIII antenna *
- VERY LOUD onboard speaker
- 3.5mm jack to plug into cars aux
- auto switch between daymode and nightmode

Cons:
- takes like 10+ seconds to lock onto signal *
- gets kinda lost once in a parking lot/mall area (like with most gps devices)
- thinks 5am is daytime, thus auto turns on daymode
- no BT
- no fm transmitter

SUMMARY:
this is like the MAZDA3 of gps systems. its the best bang for the buck. show me another 3.5inch touch screen gps system that has this much potential and is this easy to use. not to mention uses the sirfstarIII antenna (which apparently is a really good reciever/antenna from what im reading). best 285 bucks ive ever spent.

hello,

so after a long time, i finally decided to get myself a gps device for ym mx5. lol well, the first thing that MOST PEOPLE commented on was the fact that it looks like a toy. its white with orange lights and yeah... looks more like a off-brand ipod video/organizer/video player than a gps device. not to mention the fact that my cars interior is already 2 toned (flat black with piano black divider to saddle brown/orange leather and plastics). needless to say, it might look strange to others, i think it looks nicely.

now one of my biggest problems with buy any electronic thing, is the fact that i migiht have to read the manual to get going. i love things that work out of the box wihtout any need to read the manual, and surprisingly, my first GPS device has this characteristics. i poped it out, installed the mount, and off i was. no need to read the manual, it was very straight forward.

in terms of accuracy this thing is pretty spot on, give or take 10-30 meters. mainly cause the maps prebuilt on this system (for north america) are 2 years old (2002). and because the maping software/solution/plotters they use are mainly american, meaning its an american based company which just happens to give a shit, a very small shit, about canadian roads lol.

now being my first gps device, i really have nothing to compare this too, but i like it. being that its run off windows CE and is bascially a PPC, u can delete its preloaded miomap/igo software and run tomtom or whatever turns ur crank.

the daymode/nightmode thing is pretty cool. it basically changes screen brightness and the look of the map and interface to represent daytime or nighttime. the reason is kinda obvious, so its not so crazily distracting to you or other drivers during diferent times. the nightmode looks really cool, its like black and dark blue... very stealth-like

being canadian, we did kinda get the short end of the stick. out S version doesnt have BT or more memory built in, but thats ok. though i really would like a FM transmitter (cause my car doesnt have a pre-existing aux jack). bt would have been nice too, but i guess we cant have it all!

there are sevearl versions of this system, if i remmeber correctly:

c310*

s = 512 internal
x = 1gb + BT
sx = 1gb + BT

the last 2 (x+sx) dont have canadian maps, but can be easily downloaded off many gps forums and even RFD. if u CAN get the america version, then u got a really good system!

EDIT: im not sure what the BT does for this system. im going along the assumption its for voice calls when paired with compatable device and for file transfer. on a side note, u can use BT to install many things.

mf5781
01-22-2007, 09:21 PM
I bought this from Staples for $270 before Christmas. I returned it last week because it's stupid.

It's map is sufficient. I wanted to go to an old house in Gormley. But it did not have that street address. It showed only up to the city and no further.

It only likes locals and not highway. Even you know 401 & 404 are faster. It just told you to drive on locals. I went to Pearson Airport and already on 401. It kept on telling me to exit to locals. I finally turn it off.

I planned to go to Niagara Falls, NY. It told me to Quebec and take ferry to NY. That route took over 1,000 km instead of 100 km. I just asked it to avoid toll road. I think it should be smart enough to choose a much shorter distance and override the toll road parameter.

Zaku_4
01-23-2007, 01:20 AM
lol been good for me so far lol. evne on my long distance trips.

only 1 time has it choose a dumb route: it told me to go straight through downtown kitchener instead of take the highway to the 401. it was kinda a odd route, however it never told me to go that way again

Dr Butcher
02-20-2007, 12:39 AM
I still love my Garmin C320. Other than a bit of a slow startup, it is amazing. I wouldn't hesitate to pick another up in a second. Costco has a bundle with a 1 GB card which is all you'll need to fit all of North America on it.

http://www.costco.ca/en-CA/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10297823&whse=BCCA&topnav=&browse=

WeatherB
07-07-2007, 10:40 AM
I've tried the Mio C220s and it was also the biggest waste of money. I think the consensus is to stay away from TeleAtlas maps for North America.

I got the Garmin Nuvi 350 from NCIX a week ago when it was on sale for $424, haven't looked back ever since. The good thing with NCIX is that you only pay one tax.

Zaku_4
07-07-2007, 11:00 AM
well

im still happy wiht my c320. no major problems, weird added things to routes sometimes.

for the price i got it for, i cant complain. sirfIII chipset, expandable sd memory, windows ce OS (hackable), and its not ugly either (like the bulging garmin 320?)

mf5781
07-07-2007, 01:05 PM
well

im still happy wiht my c320. no major problems, weird added things to routes sometimes.

for the price i got it for, i cant complain. sirfIII chipset, expandable sd memory, windows ce OS (hackable), and its not ugly either (like the bulging garmin 320?)

I think you like your Mio C310 and not c320. Right?

I agree Garmin C330 is ugly but I find one great advantage is this shape. You can put it on the dash without attaching it to the windshield with the suction cup. You only have to buy one non-slippery mat at dollar shop and cut a small piece and put it between the dash and C330. It just stays in place during the whole journey.

Zaku_4
07-08-2007, 03:20 AM
I think you like your Mio C310 and not c320. Right?

I agree Garmin C330 is ugly but I find one great advantage is this shape. You can put it on the dash without attaching it to the windshield with the suction cup. You only have to buy one non-slippery mat at dollar shop and cut a small piece and put it between the dash and C330. It just stays in place during the whole journey.

lol

310, yes. to many 3xx's.

the 330 is no doubt a good machine (garmin navi's have a name for themselves). but for the price, my 310 was unbeatable. however, i think the 330 can be purchased for about the same amount now.

JonsMazda
07-10-2007, 06:48 PM
Get TomTom One $250 <--- on sale.....very good GPS.

MAZDA Kitten
07-12-2007, 12:32 AM
How do you like the TomTom One
I saw the ferburished ones on sale for $250 at FutureShop and wanted to pick one up. I have a Magellan Roadmate from a couple of years ago and its starting to show its 'age' (read; big and bulky). However; it does an amazing job and its really fast to recalculate routes

JonsMazda
07-12-2007, 12:46 AM
How do you like the TomTom One
I saw the ferburished ones on sale for $250 at FutureShop and wanted to pick one up. I have a Magellan Roadmate from a couple of years ago and its starting to show its 'age' (read; big and bulky). However; it does an amazing job and its really fast to recalculate routes

Two words for u "GET IT!"............i swear u wont be disappointed.

MAZDA Kitten
07-12-2007, 09:42 AM
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10086914&catid=11285

There is still like over 400 left
I might get it but Im concerned why there is so many refurbished ones?

JonsMazda
07-12-2007, 10:04 AM
nothing usually goes wrong with refurbished ones, they still have 1 year warranty...if that doesnt satisfy u, u can always go for a 2 or 3years(29.99 & 39.99 i think) protection plan, so if something goes wrong with it, u get a replacement one :D after u get ur replacement one ur protection plan is gone.

MAZDA Kitten
07-12-2007, 11:51 AM
My only gripe with the Tomtom ONE that it uses TeleAtlas mapping for their North American maps
I hear TeleAtlas performance for N.A. maps is so-so where as NAVTEQ is the main choice for many GPS manufacturers mapping in N.A.
(Where as TeleAtlas is stronger is Europe)

For the price though I think I might jump on it

JonsMazda
07-12-2007, 12:03 PM
Yea, i hear ya.....i too was in that position where i did some research bout teleatlas vs navteq, navteq got better reviews but teleatlas isnt that bad...btw, upgrade the gps when u get it. I recommend u get the tomtom one. i had it, and i loved it....i think u'll love it too....if u dont, u can come kick my butt....OH, nvm...u can return it back within 30days...they wont charge u for restocking fees eh...

MAZDA Kitten
07-12-2007, 12:46 PM
Are upgrades free?
I read a review on this thing and supposedly there is some "PROMO" but the URL is broken LOL and has been for several months already

I love my Magellan Roadmate700 even though its already 3+years old now
It does such an amazing job when I go to L.A. I've never had any issues with it. I know Magellan uses NAVTEQ so I am used
I'm very hesistant about TeleAtlas

Im gonna check the American Bestbuy (Walden Galleria)

JonsMazda
07-12-2007, 03:05 PM
upgrades are free

MAZDA Kitten
07-13-2007, 09:36 PM
Ok
So i was like an inch away from buying the TOMTOM till the LG caught my eye
They were on sale last night ($100 off) so I jumped on it after I read the review on GPSmagazine.com

Wow - this thing is amazing
and best thing it uses NAVTEQ
It also has mp3 player and picture viewer which i doubt i will use but whatever

I'm still playing around with it but so far so good
Nice piano black finish with RED LED's... matches the interior of our cars perfectly

LG LN735

http://www.futureshop.ca/multimedia/products/regular/10085993.gif

yellowmp5
07-21-2007, 09:42 PM
Two words for u "GET IT!"............i swear u wont be disappointed.

I'm usin' a TomTom ONE too...
very very good indeed....TomTom saved me in Chicago..
where streets and freeway were so cluttered, so many
roads were closed due to Construction season..
but my tomtom came to rescue...
i got it for $300USD @ best buy (when FS and BB in canada
were stil sellin' for $400CAD)

it's small, handy, thin, easy to use...but one thing i don't like is that
it takes almost a whole minute j/ to pick up signal from turning ON....

WeatherB
07-23-2007, 10:45 PM
I had a tough choice deciding between the TomTom ONE and Garmin Nuvi. I went with the Nuvi because it uses NAVTEQ maps and has longer battery life. I believe the ONE will only last 2 hours.

However, the ONE is sleeker and smaller.

MAZDA Kitten
07-26-2007, 04:56 PM
My LG is so awesome
I have nothing but good things to say about it when I went to New Jersey this past weekend
It was great

LG uses NAVTEQ as well
the ONE had only a 2 hour battery life, my LG has 4 and its soooo thin

JonsMazda
07-27-2007, 11:13 PM
in that case...wanna trade? lol

MAZDA Kitten
07-28-2007, 01:03 AM
Plus cash!! :chuckle