PDA

View Full Version : Keypad Ignition

Lars
02-08-2007, 11:08 PM
I don't really believe this a possible, or a realistic modification, but say you were really ambitious, just for a moment. Is it possible to remove the center cupholders (in the front), and replace it with a keypad that is linked to the ignition process of the vehicle? By that, I mean, requiring a typed in code to start the engine of the car (and remove the ability to start the car with a key). I've always been curious about this for the longest time now.

stas
02-08-2007, 11:56 PM
not sure if they have it here but in europe they have such security systems that you can buy aftermarket.
don't remember who makes them, but they do exist. if i stumble upon it i'll post it up.

Xenon
02-09-2007, 12:35 AM
Sounds Transporter-ish.

I guess you would have to do something like: disabling the current ignition, hooking up a remote starter to a keypad. So That only when the correct code is typed in, it sends a signal to the remote starter, which starts the car.

That would be how I would approach such a project

EvilEric
02-09-2007, 12:58 AM
I saw this post where this guy starts his car remotely over the internet in the morning....Then he has his coffee and goes down and drives to work..

3GFX
02-09-2007, 08:58 AM
Its possible, start googling, I'm sure there is an aftermarket part somewhere in the world. All it would be is just a device between your ignition and engine to not allow startup, like installing a start up button.

FLIPDADY
02-09-2007, 04:52 PM
Two questions regarding this type of mod.

1.)Why?

2.)Why?????

3GFX
02-09-2007, 05:00 PM
Exclusivity?

FLIPDADY
02-09-2007, 05:11 PM
Exclusivity?
I think Ford learned their lesson when they introduced the keypad entry on their vehicles.

3GFX
02-09-2007, 05:39 PM
Oh yea, lmao, what a farce.

I like the transporter though.

xg3
02-12-2007, 09:03 PM
yah transporter ones look like it worked really well..

except.. IT IS A MOVIE..

stas
02-12-2007, 09:09 PM
yah transporter ones look like it worked really well..

except.. IT IS A MOVIE..

except.....they actually have this in real life, the problem is north america is too slow to get these things in here. the alarms/security systems they sell here are second class shit.

if you do some research you'll find that no alarm/security system prevents the cars from being stolen.

3GFX
02-12-2007, 09:57 PM
BMW, MB and Audi all offer key pad ignition in their cars as an addtional option.

xg3
02-15-2007, 04:01 PM
Well.. I always say..

If you are going to steal my car.. please steal the entire thing. Don't leave it here all danged up. AND!! make sure the cops don't find it. So i get to buy a new one.

Kevin@nextmod
02-16-2007, 01:21 AM
+1000000000000000000000

pb_blade
05-28-2007, 07:28 PM
I think Ford learned their lesson when they introduced the keypad entry on their vehicles.

errrr how do u mean, i remember seeing them when they first came out, mostly on the old ppl cars. what was the problem with them?

As for the keypad ignition, here's how i would approach the problem. I don't know the specifics of how our ignitions are wired, but here's kind of a general approach. First look up a wiring diagram or something pertaining to the ignition.

Option 1: There's probably a wire that goes from the keyhole to the engine bay to signal the car to start. If you cut the wire and add a switch in the middle that's toggled by a keypad, then that should work. Without the code, the switch doesn't close, which means the ignition signal doesn't get to the engine.

Option 2: Think about remote starters, the remote starts your car.... what if the remote instead of having a "start" button, had a keypad like those garage openers?

Option 3: GHETTO WARNING! modify the lower dash so you can put a pad lock on covering the keyhole so u have to dial in the combo to remove it or you can't insert your key :P

good luck with this, keep us posted

Gizzmo_jr
05-28-2007, 07:35 PM
Take an old keypad (something really old, old electronic equipement from the 80's) cause the pad will be a (or close to) a serial connection from the keypad to the interface.

Use a multimeter and figure out the pins per number pressed. Then through a logic of NAND/AND gates to activate say....the base on a transistor switched 12v relay that breaks the ignition wire from the key switch.

So put your key in, hit the code, relay clicks and start the motor. Kinda like how an after-market alarm can disable the ignition by killing the ignition wire.