PDA

View Full Version : window tinting

zeroburn
03-04-2007, 05:56 PM
Hey guys,

Is there an optimal time to get your windows tinted???

I was thinking this coming april of getting them done.

MrJWU
03-05-2007, 10:32 AM
Hey guys,

Is there an optimal time to get your windows tinted???

I was thinking this coming april of getting them done.

I was once told by Martin at FX Auto that the winter months are good for tinting because there is less dust in the air... With that being said, I had my tint done late January and have no issues with them 2 years later...

On the other hand, I've heard that post tinting, the heat from the summer will help evaporate those little bubbles in the tint.....

Sean80
03-05-2007, 12:38 PM
I had my windows tinted in early January. No problems so far. You just have to allow more time for them to dry and set. (I wasn't able to put my windows down for about a week)

WildEmu
03-05-2007, 10:51 PM
I had mine done at FX Auto in March 2 years ago...they do fine work. No problems to this day.

blue3
03-22-2007, 09:55 AM
I would say wait till summer , just to make the tint cure in the sun , just my my 2 cents

cereal83
03-22-2007, 10:10 AM
Summer is 6 months away, do it now imo. I am gonna have it done next weekend!

Arwork
03-23-2007, 02:40 PM
Kind of out of topic but, I found some tint film at Canadian Tire, are those good?

cereal83
03-23-2007, 02:45 PM
Yes they are probably good as long as you can do it yourself!

cwp_sedan
03-23-2007, 04:39 PM
Kind of out of topic but, I found some tint film at Canadian Tire, are those good?

I wouldn't suggest it it, unless you are really good at tinting. Who knows if that film is a decent grade anyways. I would highly recommed that you go to a decent shop and have it done because you will have a warranty and it will be done right the first time...99% of the time. Don't waste your money at CT.

I have done my previous 2 cars in the winter and they have been fine so anytime now or in the near future will be fine.

KenYork
03-23-2007, 05:21 PM
learning the steps to tinting is easy.. doing it is another thing. I tinted my rear passenger windows myself because i wasn't expecting to keep them. Though I did a decent job there are spots of light passing through around the edge where i didn't cut the film straight.

chinsterr
03-23-2007, 07:08 PM
learning the steps to tinting is easy.. doing it is another thing. I tinted my rear passenger windows myself because i wasn't expecting to keep them. Though I did a decent job there are spots of light passing through around the edge where i didn't cut the film straight.

A steady hand is the key to tinting , unless your FX auto and get everything laser cut

matt9
03-24-2007, 11:13 AM
I was thinking of getting my car tinted as well. From what I've read, FX Auto is a good place to go and that if you mention you are a TM3 member, they will do it for 250$.

But, what exactly is included in the 250$. Aren't there different grades of tint or anything like that? Can someone enlighten me on this topic so I know what to expect. Thanks.

majic
03-24-2007, 12:29 PM
this is my experience (http://torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=21636#post21636) with FX auto

as for what to expect.. umm.. you'll have a choice of 35% 30% or 20% tints.. maybe other ones as well .. it depends on how dark you want to go (the lower the number the less light is transmitted thus a darker look)

blk_muzda
03-24-2007, 04:35 PM
i did mine at FX in December when it was snowing. No problems so far for more than a year. Not even a bubble. I was told as long as you don't open your window for a week it should be alrite. I didn't open my window for like 3 months since it was so freakin cold.

matt9
03-25-2007, 06:30 PM
Are there different 'grades' (quality) of tint?

And a lot of ppl are talking about this 250$ tints with FX Auto. Is this just a standard tint?

majic
03-25-2007, 07:05 PM
comfort and premium.. one is more metallic than the other.. i got the comfort one @ 30%.. next time i'll be getting 20s..

i am sure if you were to call FX Auto they'd explain it to you quicker and better than any of us and it would come from the horse's mouth ;)

Xerox
03-25-2007, 09:24 PM
I believe "Comfort" & "PremIER" (not Premium) are names given by FX Auto.
If you're wondering about "grades" (quality), then you might want to ask what film is actually being used. I don't know too much about tints but apparently Llumar is said to be one of the highest quality tints in the market. I have no idea what FX's "Comfort" or "Premier" are but like magic said, better to call them if you really wanna know.

mazidane
03-25-2007, 09:44 PM
I didn't open my window for like 3 months since it was so freakin cold.

Sorry to go OT but I guess you must not frequent Drive Thrus then?

Triplebogey
03-28-2007, 08:00 PM
Just to confirm, is it the lower % of tint mean darker?
I will be looking to tint evenly all around but don't want it so dark that you can't who is driving. What % would this be. I am thinking 35% but not too sure. Any help?

Xerox
03-28-2007, 10:00 PM
I will be looking to tint evenly all around but don't want it so dark that you can't who is driving. What % would this be. I am thinking 35% but not too sure. Any help?

Yes, the % represents the amount of light that passes through the tint (there might be a better & more accurate answer but you get the idea). So the lower the %, the less light will pass through making it darker (from the outside). But you have to take into consideration the quality of the film used. The good quality films will allow you to see outward more easily than cheaper films even if they are the same %.

majic
03-29-2007, 08:26 AM

scroll up to post #13 ;)

this is my experience (http://torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=21636#post21636) with FX auto

as for what to expect.. umm.. you'll have a choice of 35% 30% or 20% tints.. maybe other ones as well .. it depends on how dark you want to go (the lower the number the less light is transmitted thus a darker look)

cereal83
03-29-2007, 08:46 AM
I am going this weekend to tint my windows at Thornhill Tint. I am thinking about going 20% all around because I saw a member car with that and it looked awesome. Hopefully it's not too dark.

wingnut12
03-31-2007, 10:52 PM
Best of luck with the tint. As other people here have alluded to, you aren't suppoesed to open your windows at all for the first few days, so doing it in the late spring/summer is a PITA. Also whether or not you have a moonroof makes a huge difference in the amount of light that enters the car. Basically, if you have a moonroof and leave the flap open alot, you'll want to go darker to get the same effect as a lighter version would be without the moonroof.

cwp_sedan
04-01-2007, 10:23 AM
I am going this weekend to tint my windows at Thornhill Tint. I am thinking about going 20% all around because I saw a member car with that and it looked awesome. Hopefully it's not too dark.

I've had 15% all around before on my 2 previous cars and I have goten used to it. When I get another car I may go a little lighter maybe 20% or 22%. I found that during the day there's no problem with visibility, but sometimes at night depending on the lighting it can become difficult to see if backing up or turning without cracking a window. I have some pics of what 15% looks like for the inside/out during the day. If you want you can check them out. Tint Pics (http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/t131/RynFrnkln/Tint/?)

cereal83
04-01-2007, 12:18 PM
Well I did get my windows tinted. I can't roll them down for 3 days so doing it in winter is better imo unless you are a smoker.

I got 20% all around and it looked good but I am not sure I like it. I wish I had 20% in the front and 5% in the back. I also think cars looks alot better with tinted windows.

Links to pics with tint (http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17414)

Sean80
04-01-2007, 11:03 PM
Well I did get my windows tinted. I can't roll them down for 3 days so doing it in winter is better imo unless you are a smoker.

I got 20% all around and it looked good but I am not sure I like it. I wish I had 20% in the front and 5% in the back. I also think cars looks alot better with tinted windows.

Links to pics with tint (http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17414)

told ya :p

I had 20% all round on my last car and wished it was darker, so I made sure I got what I wanted this time

cereal83
04-01-2007, 11:06 PM
Yeah I know but I wasn't sure and I saw a Mazda3 hatch that said he has 20% all around and it looked really dark. Looking back on it, I bet he had 5% all around because I couldn't even see in an any angle.

Next time, I know for sure what I am getting. I might as well paint the back windows with black paint!

Sean80
04-02-2007, 12:13 PM
Your tint still looks good though, especially with your paint colour. You'll find the tint looks darker on the outside at night time.

cereal83
04-02-2007, 01:31 PM
Yeah, I like how the tint matches with my car, I was worried it might look too dark on my car but I like it. Enough though I like the look of your tint better. :flaming

gunmetalzoom
06-02-2007, 01:39 PM
whats the legal percent?

MattC
06-02-2007, 01:55 PM
really there is no "legal percent" set.

ive read up alot on it and it seems as though regardless of how dark it is, the cop hasto be able to see into both front windows.

It seems like its a judgement call on the cops behalf.

If you want to go really dark, then go nuts on the back, just stick to 15-20% on the front, as cops judgement changes depending on the weather, if they got laid last night, if they had a doughnut recently... etc.

cwp_sedan
06-02-2007, 02:19 PM
Yeah this is all I found. Personally I have had 15% on all my cars in the past and haven't had any problems. I currently have 20% on the 3.

"Ontario - For the driver’s compartment, right and left, no film can be installed that would substantially obscure visibility from the exterior. Behind the driver’s compartment, any film can be installed."

majic
06-02-2007, 04:59 PM
whats the legal percent?

search man (http://torontomazda3.ca/forum/search.php)!?!?!

are you posting just so you can tget 50 points and sell your rims :whoa

the unspoken legal limit is 35%.. but it's always up to the officer's discretion as the guys above stated!

BiG-ED
06-03-2007, 06:00 PM
i had 20% on my celica and never had a problem with authorities
im probably gonna go with the same but not with ziebart scarborough

-RJ3-
06-03-2007, 07:57 PM
i had 20% on my celica and never had a problem with authorities
im probably gonna go with the same but not with ziebart scarborough

Im currently using 35 front 20 at the back.... I should have done 15, but im having trouble reversing in the dark... Its hard to see.

Ziebart Scarborough? OMG!!! I haven't heard of that name in a long time!!!

plusvolume
06-04-2007, 01:58 PM
i got mine tinted the lowest legal limit......

but to be honest, its not to my liking!! :(

i wish it was a lot darker!!!!!

spyder
06-17-2007, 03:11 PM
Has anyone tried a ceramic tint compared to the metalized dye tint...is the reception from remote starters, gps's and radios that much better?

Spyder