PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer suggestions?

cereal83
03-17-2007, 10:28 AM
Hey all,

Well for my new car I want a new system and I am looking for a subwoofer and maybe some people here can offer some suggestions.

I mostly listen to dance but also listen to some rap. I was thinking of getting some 10" instead of 12". I have always had 12" and am not really sure if this is a right decision. I like the fast punchy bass. My last sub was a 12" Kicker L5 and it would hit hard but it was too big for my new Mazda 3. I am looking for something that will get loud but also be accurate.

So far I am thinking of:

- JL W6 or W7. Not sure which which one would be better and never heard them in real life.
- Image Dynamics IDMax. I have always loved these sub but never heard it in real life.
- ED Subwoofers. This seems to be a new company but people praise them. I am not sure which subwoofer I would get but their website is http://www.edesignaudio.com and people said Image Dynamics make them but I am not sure

Is 10" the right size to go with? I was also thinking of getting 2 subs in a sealed box and I need to have truck space with this car as with my last car, I had none.

Thats all I can think of right now. I want to stay away from Alpine, Pioneer, Sony, Legacy and other cheaper brand names.

Thanks all :gone

3GFX
03-17-2007, 10:48 AM
I would think that 2x10" subs would suit your music style better, putting out more bass. I'm running a 1x12" in a sealed box. Not to sure if sealed box is the way to go. JL is obviously the best out of your choices and you wouldn't be displeased with their offerings. I dunno about ED Subwoofers, if your looking at the smaller brands of sound look up ultimate audio. There product are actually made by JL. I have a T3 series amp and love it. There subs have good reviews also. Just something to check out. http://www.ultimate-sound.com/index.html but if you have the money, JL man.

sp3GT
03-17-2007, 11:00 AM
I'd say go with the JL one too.
I have a hatch with a 12inch JBL sealed (300rms) and I have to turn the gain on my amp to less then 1/2 because there's so much bass.

cereal83
03-17-2007, 11:12 AM
Hey and thanks for some replies. I knew most people would suggest JL and I put it on my list because I think they are great but I am not sure how much they are. I would rather spend a little less but still have a good system.

I looked at the Ultimate website but it seems to be down until spring. I wouldn't mind going with equipment like this but I just don't want to buy crap.

Spc3GT, not to be mean but if your turning your gain down because it is too loud, thats not too good as thats not what a gain is for. So your saying 300 watts rms is more then enough for a hatchback? I was thinking of getting a 900 watt amp maybe even 1200 like a JBL 1200.1

MPS
03-17-2007, 11:15 AM
+1 JL but i think 10W3 is good for ur setup W6 W7 is way to much
last summer i had 2 12" W3 and i was hitting 145.5 DB thats alot :)
and the other guy had 2 12" W6 and he was doing 144 DB and got his ass kiked

long story short i got a Trophy from the Grand AM club best DB they where pissed :) :complain

3GFX
03-17-2007, 11:16 AM
...I looked at the Ultimate website but it seems to be down until spring...

Whooop, here you go sir! http://www.ultimate-sound.com/products.html

skunk2
03-17-2007, 11:47 AM
eD is not made by Image Dynamics. Try the SQ10's, these puppies don't need a huge box to get loud, that way you get to keep trunk/hatch space too. they just partnered with DLS so if you also want a really good front stage they are not a bad idea either =). if you are installing the equipment yourself, a decent single amp, 1 sub and a component set gear should run you under $600CAD + installation hardware. eD even has 15-25 US dollar subs that will blow you away for what they are. have fun.

cereal83
03-17-2007, 11:48 AM
So people are still suggesting the JL, lol. Well thats fine. Does anybody any any idea on how much they go for new and what audio shop I can go to, to buy some around North York I guess.

I will go give a listen to some of the JL's and decide. I am just not sure as I have only had IDQ's, JLW0 and Kicker L5 so I am not exactly sure what I want.

The ultimate T3's look decent. What store around here sells those? About how much do those go for?

cereal83
03-17-2007, 11:52 AM
eD is not made by Image Dynamics. Try the SQ10's, these puppies don't need a huge box to get loud, that way you get to keep trunk/hatch space too. they just partnered with DLS so if you also want a really good front stage they are not a bad idea either =). if you are installing the equipment yourself, a decent single amp, 1 sub and a component set gear should run you under $600CAD + installation hardware. eD even has 15-25 US dollar subs that will blow you away for what they are. have fun.

This guy knows ed. Everybody who has heard them in real life has praises them.

I am thinking of really going this route because they are super cheap and I can get more subs. Maybe 4 10"s across the back of the seat in my hatch. I can install stuff myself atleast the amp and stuff. umm Do I order factory direct from these guys?

:bang too many decisions

cereal83
03-17-2007, 11:55 AM
One more question about ED. Are their amps good also? As per fthe subs, what are the Kv.2 series and Ov.2 series meant for? Would the SQ be my best bet?

umm

S.F.W.
03-17-2007, 12:21 PM
I have a 10W3, in the JL wedge box, and love it. It provides plenty of punch,and doesn't take up much space.
I will say though, my system is designed to be clean first, and volume second.
However, if you want to hear the 10W3 in a mazda application, come out to a meet, and you can test mine.

cereal83
03-17-2007, 03:01 PM
Awesome SFW and thanks, I will try to make it out to a meet but I don't get my car until Friday so I will have to wait.

cwp_sedan
03-17-2007, 04:35 PM
long story short i got a Trophy from the Grand AM club best DB they where pissed :) :complain

Yeah we weren't too happy about that...:whoa :)

...but another +1 for the JL.

sp3GT
03-17-2007, 05:48 PM
Spc3GT, not to be mean but if your turning your gain down because it is too loud, thats not too good as thats not what a gain is for. So your saying 300 watts rms is more then enough for a hatchback? I was thinking of getting a 900 watt amp maybe even 1200 like a JBL 1200.1

To be honest I did not do that much research before I bought my sub and amp. It's cause I got it from a friend that worked at Best Buy for $400. He worked in the audio department and just matched it up for me. As far as I know the sub I have has a maxed up power of 1200w and the amp which is a Rockford P325.1 can handle a total max power of just over 1200w.
I was suprised with the amount of bass I had at first. It was so much that I got a headache from it at like volume 5.
The amp I got also came with a bass controller, I would reccommend getting that.

MPS
03-17-2007, 06:04 PM
lol you saw that last summer @ Sids Radio :) Orange Mazda 3

Yeah we weren't too happy about that...:whoa :)

...but another +1 for the JL.

cwp_sedan
03-17-2007, 06:31 PM
lol you saw that last summer @ Sids Radio :) Orange Mazda 3

I was there for a couple hours but didn't hang around for the DB contest or awards unfortunately. I had a walk down to the far end though where you guys were set up. Didn't notice anyone inparticular...except maybe a Protege 5 that was done up but I can't remember. Maybe I'll be parked down at the far end this year instead lol...

MPS
03-17-2007, 06:44 PM
this was my ride :bang :bang :bang

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=15466

I was there for a couple hours but didn't hang around for the DB contest or awards unfortunately. I had a walk down to the far end though where you guys were set up. Didn't notice anyone inparticular...except maybe a Protege 5 that was done up but I can't remember. Maybe I'll be parked down at the far end this year instead lol...

TheProfessor
03-17-2007, 06:50 PM
I've tried all different variations of JL set-ups (1x10, 2x10, 1x12 and even 2x12) and so far my preference has been 2x10's. Having said that, in both mine and my wife's car I'm running a single 10W3v2. There is not a huge difference in output and the box is much, much smaller. If you like fast quick response definately go with a 10" in a sealed enclosure.

If you do want to go JL keep in mind that the W6 and moreso the W7 require a fair amount of power to do them justice. If you already have an amp in mind or a price range you should let us know.

ED is not a new company, they've been out for quite some time and have remained fairly unknown to most. They only sell through the internet but every review I've ever read has nothing but high praise for their drivers. If I ever need to buy another sub I would strongly consider giving one of them a shot.

Image Dynamics is also a really good brand if you want SQ. While I've never owned one I have many friends with ID subs and I'm impressed everytime I hear them, especially how musical they can be if set up correctly.

IMO you're looking at the three best possible brands.

cereal83
03-17-2007, 06:58 PM
Wow, I saw your pics and man did it look good but the aftermath of the car. Wowo

That system did look good.

cwp_sedan
03-17-2007, 07:17 PM
this was myt ride :bang :bang :bang

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=15466

I need an opened mouth smilie...because I am still sitting here with my mouth open in awe...That is messed up!! :complain

Why do people have to do that...I will never understand. As much as I'm sure you hated that happening and miss it I'm sure you're much happier with your new ride.

As for your car...I don't recall it...sorry :blush

cereal83
03-17-2007, 07:21 PM
I've tried all different variations of JL set-ups (1x10, 2x10, 1x12 and even 2x12) and so far my preference has been 2x10's. Having said that, in both mine and my wife's car I'm running a single 10W3v2. There is not a huge difference in output and the box is much, much smaller. If you like fast quick response definately go with a 10" in a sealed enclosure.

If you do want to go JL keep in mind that the W6 and moreso the W7 require a fair amount of power to do them justice. If you already have an amp in mind or a price range you should let us know.

ED is not a new company, they've been out for quite some time and have remained fairly unknown to most. They only sell through the internet but every review I've ever read has nothing but high praise for their drivers. If I ever need to buy another sub I would strongly consider giving one of them a shot.

Image Dynamics is also a really good brand if you want SQ. While I've never owned one I have many friends with ID subs and I'm impressed everytime I hear them, especially how musical they can be if set up correctly.

IMO you're looking at the three best possible brands.

Hey there, you seem to help people alot with your posts so I wanna first say thanks.

Have a JL would be nice for the name but I am thinking I should go with eD. Last time I asked about subs, I was told about eD and people said screw the L5 and get eD, I said no and I was happy.

This time I think I am going to try the eD subs. Maybe 4 of the 10" sq subs with a eD Nine.1 amp which does 1200x1 at 1 ohm so thats about 300 watts a sub and that should be plenty. I just need somebody to make me a box to specs and I should be laughing.

For a budget, I don't really have one. If I like it, I will buy it .. For amp power, I can get any amp really. I was thinking JBL 1200.1 or Jl 1000/1 . There is alot I can choose but I think I am going to go the eD way.

MPS
03-17-2007, 07:35 PM
JL 1000/1 you will have a hard time keeping that baby powered you need 0 gauge power wire upgrade alternator and a big a$$ cap i had 8 farad on mine

MPS
03-17-2007, 07:36 PM
ohh and 1 more thing yellow top battery

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/americas0/en/config/product_info/automotive.html

cereal83
03-17-2007, 08:08 PM
If I need 0 gauge for 1000 watts, then I am not interested. lol I know the JBL 1200.1 runs fine with 4 gauge.

Optima battery is usually a must

skunk2
03-17-2007, 11:59 PM
another thing you get with eD is very good support. if you need help to design a box send them the dimensions you have to work with and they'll get back to you with a design. you can have them make the box or just make it yourself.

TheProfessor
03-18-2007, 11:31 AM
Hey there, you seem to help people alot with your posts so I wanna first say thanks.

It's no problem, we're all here to help each other out!

If you go the eD route I don't think you'll be dissappointed. I personally think 4 10's is a bit much, but you know what you like best!

Almost any audio shop is capable of building you a box to the specs required, it's juts a matter of reputation and pricing. I for one have used Chase Audio Video to build two boxes for me and both have been amazing build quality. The only issue I ever had was that I requested the speaker terminal to be on a specific side and he put it on the opposite by accident. He offered to correct the problem but it really wasn't that big of a deal so I just let it be. The best box I've ever owned was built by Natural Sound in Kitchener, however due to their location it's not exactly convenient.