PDA

View Full Version : changing rear brakes +/- rotors...advice needed.

resin_dr.
03-27-2007, 09:42 PM
hello everyone.
great forum....here is my situation.

after my 64k service i was advised by the service department that i needed to change my rear brake pads and rotors. they quoted me somewhere in the ballpark of 400$ for only the rear set. i really do not want to spend that type of money for stock/oem parts so i'm looking into getting some rear hawk hps brake pads.

i do not have much experience with brakes, but it seems that my rotors look fine, so i find it questionable that i would need them replaced, maybe just machined?

anyhow, would the stock rotors be fine to use with the hawk hps brake pads? would it be better for me to do a complete brake pad swap (rears and fronts)? if i need to change my rotors what would you recommend (i'm not an overtly aggressive driver, just like to have fun once in a while)? does anyone know where i could get a set of stock rotors at a good price?

any of your thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

majic
03-27-2007, 09:57 PM
anyhow, would the stock rotors be fine to use with the hawk hps brake pads?

yes.. that's what i've got

would it be better for me to do a complete brake pad swap (rears and fronts)?

no.. rears wore out at 50K for me and fronts had TONS of life left.. save $ and do it separately..

if i need to change my rotors what would you recommend (i'm not an overtly aggressive driver, just like to have fun once in a while)? does anyone know where i could get a set of stock rotors at a good price?

you probably won't need to change your rotors at the first pad change.. unless they are warped or severely grooved (they might be then replaced under warranty).. if they are fine just use emery paper to clean off the surface so that you can bed the pads in properly..